Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    bullseye23 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2

    New Into hand guns!!!

    Im looking to purchase a handgun gun just for shooting around a little bit, but the problem is i dont know what kind to get.. so i need your guy's help..

    tell me wut size and brand i should get thanks....

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Hello and welcome to a great forum.

    Look around the forum, there's a ton of information around here to help you narrow down your choices.

    -Jeff-

  4. #3
    bullseye23 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2

    hey

    im not very good with research im kinda dumb with computers

  5. #4
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873

  6. #5
    unpecador's Avatar
    unpecador is offline Senior Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,862
    How did you find this forum?

  7. #6
    khegglie's Avatar
    khegglie is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Nutmeg state
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by unpecador View Post
    How did you find this forum?
    Be careful!! unpecador will kick yo' butt if you dont make sense...

  8. #7
    undrgrnd's Avatar
    undrgrnd is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South East, Tx
    Posts
    252
    be careful. anywho welcome to the forum and here is the generic answee for a new shooter. get you some handgun edumacation (this one is quite seriously needed) get to a range that allows you to rent pistols and try out a bunch then make up your mind. but definately get some training.

  9. #8
    unpecador's Avatar
    unpecador is offline Senior Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,862
    Quote Originally Posted by khegglie View Post
    Be careful!! unpecador will kick yo' butt if you dont make sense...


    That's not true but yeah making sense is a plus.

  10. #9
    PhilR. is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by undrgrnd View Post
    be careful. anywho welcome to the forum and here is the generic answee for a new shooter. get you some handgun edumacation (this one is quite seriously needed) get to a range that allows you to rent pistols and try out a bunch then make up your mind. but definately get some training.
    Bullseye23 -- definitely read the above, and take it to heart. At this time, you are putting the cart before the horse. There is much more to firearm ownership than just deciding what handgun to get....

    PhilR.

  11. #10
    khegglie's Avatar
    khegglie is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Nutmeg state
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by bullseye23 View Post
    Im looking to purchase a handgun gun just for shooting around a little bit, but the problem is i dont know what kind to get.. so i need your guy's help..

    tell me wut size and brand i should get thanks....
    Oh yeah...Welcome bullseye23.

    I recommend that you do a search of this site and go with the advice given before you make that purchase.

    there is a lot you can learn right here that will make that first purchase one that you can really enjoy.

    Get some info first like folks said; then you can chose the best handgun FOR YOU!

  12. #11
    JONSCH's Avatar
    JONSCH is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    65
    you have to get a heckler and koch if you want the top quality

  13. #12
    tekhead1219's Avatar
    tekhead1219 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    1,750
    If you're just looking for one to "shoot around a bit", I suggest a .22 handgun. You can shoot all you want without going broke paying for ammo. You'll also get to learn the intricacies of sight alinment, trigger control, etal. Most important though, get enrolled into an NRA handgun course so you learn how to handle it with respect to yourself and others.

  14. #13
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Welcome aboard!


    Quote Originally Posted by JONSCH View Post
    you have to get a heckler and koch if you want the top quality
    Fanboy nonsense. There are a dozen or so excellent handgun brands.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  15. #14
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    Welcome from Northern Arizona.



    And Heckler & Koch is only one of several good brand choices.

  16. #15
    JeffWard's Avatar
    JeffWard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    St Pete Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,932
    Welcome to the forum!

    1st, pick a purpose: Defense, target shooting, fun plinking, competition?
    2nd, set a budget: You can get a good use carry gun for $350-400, or you can spend $4000+ on a custom "race-gun" for speed shooting.
    3rd, pick a platform: Semi-auto, revolver, etc...
    4th, pick a size: Will it be for range use only, nightstand drawer home defense, or for daily carry? I have a 45ACP "fullsize" gun with night sights in the night stand at home, but I carry a 3" 9mm.

    You can do this by reading here for a few nights, and also getting out to a range that rents. Let us know where you live, and there's likely a member who can point your head. After taking an inexpensive NRA basic pistol course, you will be experienced, safe, and comfortable handing and functioning many guns. Then, drive and spend the money to rent a bunch of guns... Shoot 10-20 rounds MINIMUM from any number of guns, 4-6... Shoot a few revolvers, and a few semi-autos.

    MOST newbies, choose a 9mm... Why? Cheaper ammo in a defensive-capable caliber. If not for defense, definately get a 22. Browning Buckmarks, Ruger Mark IIIs, Sig Mosquitos, and Walther P22s are popular choices. These will eat hundreds of rounds of 22LR for $10 per 500+ rounds...

    9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP are the most common defensive calibers.
    380, and 32 caliber guns are borderline, but pocket-sized.
    22LR is VERY borderline, and not recommended for defensive use.

    9mm runs around 20 cents per round!
    40 and 45 runs closer to 30 cents each!
    22LR is about 2 cents per round...

    The cost of ammo can quickly out run the cost of the gun in a year...

    Read, learn, rent, choose, enjoy.

    JeffWard

  17. #16
    tekhead1219's Avatar
    tekhead1219 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    1,750
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWard View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

    1st, pick a purpose: Defense, target shooting, fun plinking, competition?
    2nd, set a budget: You can get a good use carry gun for $350-400, or you can spend $4000+ on a custom "race-gun" for speed shooting.
    3rd, pick a platform: Semi-auto, revolver, etc...
    4th, pick a size: Will it be for range use only, nightstand drawer home defense, or for daily carry? I have a 45ACP "fullsize" gun with night sights in the night stand at home, but I carry a 3" 9mm.

    You can do this by reading here for a few nights, and also getting out to a range that rents. Let us know where you live, and there's likely a member who can point your head. After taking an inexpensive NRA basic pistol course, you will be experienced, safe, and comfortable handing and functioning many guns. Then, drive and spend the money to rent a bunch of guns... Shoot 10-20 rounds MINIMUM from any number of guns, 4-6... Shoot a few revolvers, and a few semi-autos.

    MOST newbies, choose a 9mm... Why? Cheaper ammo in a defensive-capable caliber. If not for defense, definately get a 22. Browning Buckmarks, Ruger Mark IIIs, Sig Mosquitos, and Walther P22s are popular choices. These will eat hundreds of rounds of 22LR for $10 per 500+ rounds...

    9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP are the most common defensive calibers.
    380, and 32 caliber guns are borderline, but pocket-sized.
    22LR is VERY borderline, and not recommended for defensive use.

    9mm runs around 20 cents per round!
    40 and 45 runs closer to 30 cents each!
    22LR is about 2 cents per round...

    The cost of ammo can quickly out run the cost of the gun in a year...

    Read, learn, rent, choose, enjoy.

    JeffWard
    Yep, that's what I meant to say...just not enough time to type all that.

  18. #17
    funkypunk97's Avatar
    funkypunk97 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    208
    From one relative newbie to another, all I can tell you is READ READ READ....

    Even if you hate computer research, go out and buy some of the pistol magazines or something, or go to your local range and talk to the people who run it....

    Once I decided I wanted to get a pistol the first thing I did was find out the laws in New York about ownership. From there I started reading everything I could about pistols, and safety and types. I had shot several pistols as a younger kid, my uncle had several guns as he was a NY/NJPA cop and he taught me to shoot his .22 and a .38 revolver he had....

    But for the most part I was ignorant on the types of guns there were. And since it takes 6mos to get a permit in NY I have had lots of time to research the issue. And I can tell you it won't take much time to get a good idea of what type you want.....

    As others have said too, it is a good idea to determine what you want to do with the gun. If it is just an "all around" piece then just find what is most comfortable in your hand and work out from there.

  19. #18
    Growler67's Avatar
    Growler67 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    S. Puget Sound, WA
    Posts
    715
    Check your PM Inbox.

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •