Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Joeywhat's Avatar
    Joeywhat is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ypsi, MI
    Posts
    216

    Recommendations?

    Looking for some recommendations for a new handgun. getting my CPL in a while (just about to take the class...) and I'll need a more powerful gun to carry. I have a P22 right now, which is a great gun.

    So far I've considered the Springfield XD, Walther PPS/P99, sig P250, and maybe a Glock. The FN FiveseveN is technically on my wish list, although it's a bit expensive. Plus, my dad just bought one. I'd prefer a .40, but 9mm will do. I'd also be willing to try .357 sig if it's a worthwhile round. TBH I know nothing about it.

    I've only been able to handle the XD thus far, haven't had much time to make it to any dealers around me. I'd really like to shoot some of these...but very few of my friends shoot. And the ones that do borrow my guns

    What I'm looking for is something that is small enough to be a good concealed weapon, but still able to be used as a good range gun. I enjoy shooting very much, and although the P22 is a damn fine gun, I like to change it up every once in a while. I liked the PPS since it seemed to be very concealable in your pocket. I'm a fatass so a belt holster can be uncomfortable at times. That being said, I've also heard a lot of people complain about the P99/PPS quality as of late. Maybe wait a few more months until Walther gets the bugs out?

    Also, I have a slight preference towards SA/DA instead of DAO. I don't like heavy triggers, but it's not a huge factor. I might even consider a revolver.

    Any thoughts on this? Perhaps a gun I haven't considered? I've read plenty of reviews, but most have been from magazines...and I only trust them so much. I'd like to keep it under $600 or so. I can go more if it's a damn good gun, but certainly nothing over $1000.

  2. #2
    gilfo is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Fl
    Posts
    125

    CZ line of firearms

    Look into the CZ line. I have a Rami P which I love. They also have a 75Compact and a P01. Check them out to see if they meet your needs. I can say they are damm fine guns (in my opinion).

  3. #3
    PhilR. is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
    What I'm looking for is something that is small enough to be a good concealed weapon, but still able to be used as a good range gun.

    I liked the PPS since it seemed to be very concealable in your pocket. I'm a fatass so a belt holster can be uncomfortable at times. That being said, I've also heard a lot of people complain about the P99/PPS quality as of late. Maybe wait a few more months until Walther gets the bugs out?

    The P99 has been around for quite a while now, and it has the bugs worked out. Can't say the same for the PPS however, as I've read about some malfunctioning pistols.

    The only other autos that approach the PPS in size is the Kahrs, particularly the CW9. I wouldn't consider either to be a range gun. IOW, pocketable and range gun for the most part don't mix (this is not saying that you can't use a smaller handgun at the range).

    I think the pistols that can make a decent range gun and still be easy to conceal are the Glock and Springfield sub-compacts, the Walther P99c, and perhaps the Sig 239.

    PhilR.

  4. #4
    Joeywhat's Avatar
    Joeywhat is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ypsi, MI
    Posts
    216
    Those look good. I've heard of CZ before, but never really checked them out. I'll try and check out the 75 Compact next time I'm at Cabela's.

  5. #5
    Joeywhat's Avatar
    Joeywhat is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ypsi, MI
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilR. View Post
    The P99 has been around for quite a while now, and it has the bugs worked out. Can't say the same for the PPS however, as I've read about some malfunctioning pistols.

    The only other autos that approach the PPS in size is the Kahrs, particularly the CW9. I wouldn't consider either to be a range gun. IOW, pocketable and range gun for the most part don't mix (this is not saying that you can't use a smaller handgun at the range).

    I think the pistols that can make a decent range gun and still be easy to conceal are the Glock and Springfield sub-compacts, the Walther P99c, and perhaps the Sig 239.

    PhilR.
    I was hoping that the P99 had been worked out some...I've been hearing problems like the trigger falling out (!). Is it roughly the same size as the P22? I think that's an overall decent size for me.

    When I say I want something that's good at the range, I just want it to be large enough to get a decent grip (I have slightly large hands) so I can actually aim it correctly. I don't want to feel like I'm holding a derringer or anything. I'm not going to be doing any matches with it, by any means.

    Basically it has to be comfortable and have a high enough capacity mag. That's my one bitch about the PPS so far...7 round mags would get annoying at the range.

  6. #6
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    I can't say enough about the XD sub-compact (however biased it may be). I still swear that I shoot my XD9SC better than I shoot my XD9 Service. It is easily concealable and is a great range gun as well (it's a blast to shoot). I personally got rid of my 16-round mag for my sub-compact as it was pointless (it makes the grip the same length as the service). For someone with larger hands or someone who wants a dual-purpose pistol than the 16-round magazine might be more desireable. The XDs are great guns and with both magazines (the 10-round and the 16-round for the 9mm), it's perfect for dual purpose. Just my .02

    -Jeff-

  7. #7
    JeffWard's Avatar
    JeffWard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    St Pete Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,932
    +1 to Beefy (Jeff).

    Here's my XD9SC in my "slightly" oversized hands... I'm 6'4"... Fits fine, shoots great, get the Pearce extension and a good holster, you're set.



    Cheap 9mm ammo for range time. Full size 16 round back-up/range mag.

    Under $500 everywhere. 2000? 3000 rounds, I don't know, through this gun. Zero failures. Excellent lifetime service, including shipping.

    JW

  8. #8
    Joeywhat's Avatar
    Joeywhat is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ypsi, MI
    Posts
    216
    I have actually been reconsidering the XD as of late...I sort of put it on the back burner for a while when I say the PPS and P99, and lost interest...for some reason I'm starting to like them again.

    Would the compact model be short enough to throw in your pocket? The only gun I have to compare with is my P22, which fits alright. Feels good but is moderately noticeable. What I really liked about the service model was a much larger grip...does teh compact come with at least one mag with the extension? I'd certainly want that at the range, but I could live without it when carrying.

    Also, is Springfield throwing the thumb safety on all the new XD's? I'm not entirely sure I would find that useful. If I don't have a choice then I'll make sure to pick one up soon that does not include that.

    And does anyone want to convince me to go either 9mm or .40? Not to start a flame war or anything...cost doesn't matter a whole lot since there isn't a huge difference in price. Not sure why, but I've always felt that 9mm just "isn't enough". I really don't have anything to back that up...but it's what I think. I was pretty much set on a .40, but if I'll get vastly improved performance from a 9 then why not?

  9. #9
    Joeywhat's Avatar
    Joeywhat is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ypsi, MI
    Posts
    216
    Well...I'm REALLY leaning towards the XD now. The real selling point for me is price...I know I can get one for just above $500.

    What I might do are add the night sights to it. Maybe a few others, I'm not up to speed on all the mods you can get for the XD. Is it better to send it direct to SA, or would a local gunsmith be a better bet?

  10. #10
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
    Would the compact model be short enough to throw in your pocket?
    No, it wouldn't. You generally need single stack mag for that (like a Keltec PF9).

    Quote Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
    What I really liked about the service model was a much larger grip...does teh compact come with at least one mag with the extension? I'd certainly want that at the range, but I could live without it when carrying.
    The subcompact model (except for CA) comes with a 10-rounder and a 16-rounder which was my point that it would make a great dual purpose gun. The 16-round mag makes the grip the same exact length as the service. I personally traded my 16-round for a 10-round because I want to shoot at the range with the same configuration if I were carrying it. Having said that, a lot of people use the 16-rounder for the range and the 10-rounder for carry though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
    Also, is Springfield throwing the thumb safety on all the new XD's? I'm not entirely sure I would find that useful. If I don't have a choice then I'll make sure to pick one up soon that does not include that.
    No, it's not on all models and you don't have to worry about it on the subcompact. Besides that, for the models that DO have the thumb safety, it's only an option not standard.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
    And does anyone want to convince me to go either 9mm or .40? Not to start a flame war or anything...cost doesn't matter a whole lot since there isn't a huge difference in price. Not sure why, but I've always felt that 9mm just "isn't enough". I really don't have anything to back that up...but it's what I think. I was pretty much set on a .40, but if I'll get vastly improved performance from a 9 then why not?
    Where I live there's a very big difference in cost between the 9mm and the 40S&W. A nice 9mm hollow point is plenty of stopping power in my opinion and a lot of people feel that way as well. Having said that, if you're not going to feel comfortable with the 9mm then don't get it. If you will practice more with the 9mm and/or you will be comfortable with it, then I say get the 9mm. Hope that helps

    -Jeff-
    Last edited by BeefyBeefo; 04-18-2008 at 07:10 PM.

  11. #11
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
    Well...I'm REALLY leaning towards the XD now. The real selling point for me is price...I know I can get one for just above $500.

    What I might do are add the night sights to it. Maybe a few others, I'm not up to speed on all the mods you can get for the XD. Is it better to send it direct to SA, or would a local gunsmith be a better bet?
    I got both of my XDs for $400 new on gunbroker, so you can get them even cheaper depending on your FFL fees. If you want the night sites then buy a gun that already has the night sites from SA and you won't have to worry about doing it when you get the gun (unless there's a certain kind you want or something). You definitely would not regret the decision if you go with the XD, I love both of mine.

    -Jeff-

  12. #12
    Joeywhat's Avatar
    Joeywhat is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ypsi, MI
    Posts
    216
    I've never dealt with Gunbroker.com before...is it hard to get a dealer to accept the weapon?

    I found quite a few that were in the $425 range there. I might give them a go, but I'll check prices at the dealers again to make sure they haven't recently gone down.

    Hopefully I can find a gun with the night sights on there already. I'm also reconsidering 9mm...I guess one benefit would be the larger capacity.

  13. #13
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=97748988

    There's a sub-compact .40 with night sites. I bought my service from that seller (supohunter), and a TON of people on xdtalk.com have bought from his as well. He's a great seller. Check the FFL fees at your local dealer, and you might as well see what their price is while you're at it. Good luck!

    -Jeff-

  14. #14
    Joeywhat's Avatar
    Joeywhat is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ypsi, MI
    Posts
    216
    Thanks! I did manage to find a dealer that rented out guns, although they only rent out the service model.

  15. #15
    Joeywhat's Avatar
    Joeywhat is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ypsi, MI
    Posts
    216
    How good is 9mm in the woods? I spend some time every year up in the UP, mainly doing some fishing. Bears can be a problem at times, although we've never had to actually shoot one...but would a 9mm be sufficient for a bear? I know neither 9mm or .40 are your best choice...but if .40 really excels there it might give me more reason to stay with it.

    My dad carries a .454 Casull...so if I'm with him i'm not too worried

  16. #16
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Neither would be sufficient for bear. Get the XD and then get a revolver for the bear scenario

    -Jeff-

  17. #17
    Joeywhat's Avatar
    Joeywhat is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ypsi, MI
    Posts
    216
    ROFL, guess I'll have to try out one of those .500 S&W...

    Anyone put a guide rod laser in their XD? I looked at the lasermax model...expensive but it looks nice. Not sure about the button activation, though. Seems like it would be hard to turn on.

  18. #18
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
    ROFL, guess I'll have to try out one of those .500 S&W...

    Anyone put a guide rod laser in their XD? I looked at the lasermax model...expensive but it looks nice. Not sure about the button activation, though. Seems like it would be hard to turn on.
    I think the idea behind the lasermax internal laser is great but the reliability isn't quite where I'd like it to be. I've heard of people who love them as well as people who have had problems with them. If I were ever going to get a laser, that probably would not be my choice for that very reason. The external lasers never....NEVER even have the probability of compromising the reliability of the pistol itself and that is my primary concern. Just my .02

    -Jeff-

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

cw9 guide rod
,
handgun recommendations
,
lasermax for sig p250
,
pps 40 review
,

supohunter xds on gunbroker

,
xds supohunter gunbroker
Click on a term to search for related topics.