Should I Buy Another Handgun?

    Results 1 to 18 of 18
    1. #1
      Member falshman70's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2006
      Location
      No VA & coastal SC
      Posts
      495

      Should I Buy Another Handgun?

      I think I have been a little haphazard in my handgun acquisitions since the bug bit hard about three years ago. I have at least one of every major brand (Glock excepted) and calibers from.22 to .45ACP. I thought I had settled on two guns for carry - a Kahr P9 and a H&K P2000 w/ LEM trigger in 9mm. I have told my wife I'm through buying, other than a high-end 1911 as a retirement gift to myself when that rolls around in the next 2 - 4 years.

      My problem is that I recently shot my long-neglected Sig P229 DA/SA in .40 S&W and shot it very well. I remembered why I was so taken with it initially. I can't really recall why I decided to go with the polymer guns. Anyhow - the P229 is a little thick for IWB carry, so I'm thinking I need to get a P239 in .40 S&W. There will be a price to pay if I renege on my assurances to my bride - who shoots, by the way, but thinks I've gone off the deep end.

      What say you, my esteemed fellow forum members? Get the P239 and risk that I'm really just feeding an addiction and will have to eat crow with the wife (and possibly come up with some later excuse for yet another gun), or exercise restraint and make do with my current armory? Money isn't a big issue, so don't suggest I sell any of my current family members to pay for the new one....

    2. #2
      Senior Member Mike Barham's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2006
      Location
      Arizona, baby!
      Posts
      5,081
      If you shoot the P239 markedly better than the P2000, make the trade. If the difference is marginal or non-existent, I personally wouldn't bother. I'd spend the money on ammo or a good upper-level shooting course.

      It's the Indian, not the arrow.
      Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

      Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

      All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

    3. #3
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Posts
      784
      Quote Originally Posted by falshman70 View Post
      What say you, my esteemed fellow forum members? Get the P239 and risk that I'm really just feeding an addiction and will have to eat crow with the wife (and possibly come up with some later excuse for yet another gun), or exercise restraint and make do with my current armory?
      Wife: "What's this new gun?"
      Dude: "SIG P239"
      Wife: "Thought you said you weren't getting any more guns."
      Dude: "Wasn't, but guy on the internet said I should."

      As if anyone here would outright tell you no.

    4. #4
      tt3
      tt3 is offline
      Junior Member tt3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Location
      MN
      Posts
      26
      I really like the line from the Vince Flynn books:
      "Its easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission"

    5. #5
      Senior Member BeefyBeefo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      CO
      Posts
      2,873
      Quote Originally Posted by submoa View Post
      Wife: "What's this new gun?"
      Dude: "SIG P239"
      Wife: "Thought you said you weren't getting any more guns."
      Dude: "Wasn't, but guy on the internet said I should."

      That's classic.

      I don't see a reason to buy the new one without getting rid of the old one. But I guess if you want it that bad, then go for it. It's not worth problems with the wife IMO though. It doesn't sound like you really need it, but if you want it that bad get it.

      -Jeff-

    6. #6
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Posts
      113

      Wink

      Dude: just tell the wife that's it's an investment. It does not depreciate like the shoes/hand bags etc. that women buy. You will always get your money back + a little bit more when you sell it. See if that reasoning flys. Good luck and may the force be with you.

    7. #7
      Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Posts
      535
      Let me be the one to say don't buy another gun. Take the same amount of money and buy ammo. If you have guns that sit in the closet un-shot, you have too many guns, or you don't go shooting enough. Go to the range and shoot, shoot, shoot.

      That said, I lust for a 230 with the DAK trigger. If you like the LEM trigger, and if you don't take my advice about buying ammo instead of another gun (and nobody ever takes my advice), then look for a 239/DAK.

    8. #8
      Member hberttmank's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2006
      Posts
      626
      The answer to this question is always yes if you ask me.

    9. #9
      Senior Member JeffWard's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      St Pete Beach, FL
      Posts
      1,932
      I'm in a one in, one out phase right now... except for my missing piece... the 1911. I just can't seem to find anything better than what I have right now... I agree with Mike. If it's better that what you have, swap it, even if it costs you a hundred... Buying a SIG for carry is NEVER a bad decision.

      JW

    10. #10
      TOF
      TOF is offline
      Senior Member TOF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Location
      Northern Arizona
      Posts
      3,015
      You said money is not an issue so it must be the decision to be a shooter vs. being a collector.

      Nothing wrong with being both .

      Go get it.


    11. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Posts
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
      You said money is not an issue so it must be the decision to be a shooter vs. being a collector.

      Nothing wrong with being both .

      Go get it.

      If Madonna and Angelina can keep gathering kids, why shouldn't you be able to keep buying guns? I agree with TOF. You're a shooter who collects. Enjoy the hobbies since you can afford them.

    12. #12
      Member Wyatt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      The Naked City
      Posts
      713
      I don't have to ask the wife permission to do anything. I can do whatever I want. Of course, sometimes I have to check with the wife to see if I want to.

    13. #13
      Member falshman70's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2006
      Location
      No VA & coastal SC
      Posts
      495
      I actually bought a Galco Summer Comfort IWB holster for the P229 today and am experimenting with carrying it. I snuck off to the gun shop this morning to check out the P239 while the wife was at the gym. Not as slim as I remembered, but clearly thinner than the P229. (I bought her another mag for her Beretta 92fs just to even things out.) I can wait on the P239 until a gun show next month and see if I'm still hot for it.

      I do shoot a lot - 150 - 200 rounds a week at the NRA HQ range. I also just finished a tactical pistol class last month and take training periodically. I'm not trying to be a 60 yr. old pistolero, but I figure if I'm carrying I want to be confident in my skill to bring it into action and be accurate with it.

    14. #14
      Senior Member Charlie's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2006
      Location
      Kerr County Texas
      Posts
      2,839
      Quote Originally Posted by falshman70 View Post
      I actually bought a Galco Summer Comfort IWB holster for the P229 today and am experimenting with carrying it. I snuck off to the gun shop this morning to check out the P239 while the wife was at the gym. Not as slim as I remembered, but clearly thinner than the P229. (I bought her another mag for her Beretta 92fs just to even things out.) I can wait on the P239 until a gun show next month and see if I'm still hot for it.

      I do shoot a lot - 150 - 200 rounds a week at the NRA HQ range. I also just finished a tactical pistol class last month and take training periodically. I'm not trying to be a 60 yr. old pistolero, but I figure if I'm carrying I want to be confident in my skill to bring it into action and be accurate with it.
      Man, that must of been an expensive mag. if it's gonna' even out a new Sig!!!!! Buy the Sig 239 and worry about figuring out how/what to tell her later. I'm sure it'll come to ya!

    15. #15
      Member Dsig1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Lancaster, PA
      Posts
      687
      Go out and get the 239 and then go out and get a Glock to complete the collection.

    16. #16
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Posts
      11

      No Way

      Quote Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
      Let me be the one to say don't buy another gun. Take the same amount of money and buy ammo. If you have guns that sit in the closet un-shot, you have too many guns, or you don't go shooting enough. Go to the range and shoot, shoot, shoot.

      That said, I lust for a 230 with the DAK trigger. If you like the LEM trigger, and if you don't take my advice about buying ammo instead of another gun (and nobody ever takes my advice), then look for a 239/DAK.

      Ya just really can't have too many guns, so long as you still have room for food and water!

    17. #17
      Junior Member SemoShooter's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Posts
      72
      The answer to "Should I buy another handgun?" is always YES.

    18. #18
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      17
      Quote Originally Posted by SemoShooter View Post
      The answer to "Should I buy another handgun?" is always YES.
      +1

    Sponsored Links

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  

    Search tags for this page

    why should i buy another gun

    Click on a term to search for related topics.