Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    dlsalva is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    21

    carrying handgun without CHL in texas?

    i was just wondering on how you were supposed to carry ur handgun if you were transporting or even driving to and from the range? keep them in plain view? just stuff i was wondering since i'm moving back to houston this afternoon, and most likely will get pulled over for speeding! haha

  2. #2
    TerryP Guest
    I am no attorney but I believe you can carry it in the console or other areas concealed in a vehicle. That law is new within the past year and you are not required to have a CCL. The problem is technically when you get where you are going and it isn't your own property when you take it outside your vehicle.

    That is my understanding but best check with those that know like the State Police or other LEO's.

  3. #3
    BigJim22602's Avatar
    BigJim22602 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    42
    http://www.nraila.org/

    Here is the NRA Gun Laws website. I hope it helps

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Grande Pradera, TX
    Posts
    760
    If you are going to or from a gun range, you are covered. As long as it is concealed. Don't leave it sitting in plain view on the passenger seat. Keep it in a range bag. Texas law makes no distinction on loaded or unloaded. A handgun is a handgun. I always have them in the trunk of the car (except for my concealed carry pistol). That way, if I get into a wreck there's less chances of my gun and accessories being scattered over the intersection.

  5. #5
    Spartan's Avatar
    Spartan is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    635
    Around my parts: Gun in the trunk, unloaded; ammo in a seperate bag.

  6. #6
    Dredd is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    267
    Texas is similar to Florida in most respects here. Florida law states that a gun carried inside a vehicle must be inside a "container". A Container can be anything from a cigar box, to a range bag, to the case it came in, to tossing it inside your glove box. By law you are legally allowed to carry a loaded gun in your vehicle so long as it is not accessable for immediate usage. You must have it inside a container.

    So if Texas is similar to Florida here as well, which I believe it may be. Then you're fine. Police normally don't go around asking everyone they pull over for traffic violations if they carry a gun. They will only do so if they see it, or suspect that you may be on any type of drugs or alcohol and typically ask if you have any weapons on your person. Maybe they'll ask to search the vehicle but you can always decline to consent to a search.
    You'll be ok.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Grande Pradera, TX
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    Texas is similar to Florida in most respects here. Florida law states that a gun carried inside a vehicle must be inside a "container". A Container can be anything from a cigar box, to a range bag, to the case it came in, to tossing it inside your glove box. By law you are legally allowed to carry a loaded gun in your vehicle so long as it is not accessable for immediate usage. You must have it inside a container.

    So if Texas is similar to Florida here as well, which I believe it may be. Then you're fine. Police normally don't go around asking everyone they pull over for traffic violations if they carry a gun. They will only do so if they see it, or suspect that you may be on any type of drugs or alcohol and typically ask if you have any weapons on your person. Maybe they'll ask to search the vehicle but you can always decline to consent to a search.
    You'll be ok.
    Texas does not have this restriction since we now have legal "in-car concealed carry" as long as you're not a felon, gang member, etc.

  8. #8
    series70guy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Misssissippi
    Posts
    25

    car carry

    In Mississippi you can carry any way you want in your car. It is considered an extention of your home.

  9. #9
    Dredd is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by propellerhead View Post
    Texas does not have this restriction since we now have legal "in-car concealed carry" as long as you're not a felon, gang member, etc.
    concealed means hiding it from plain sight which is pretty damn close. Like I said, people including police are not looking for your gun.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Grande Pradera, TX
    Posts
    760
    I was just pointing out that whether it is accessible to the driver or not is not an issue in Texas.

  11. #11
    kenn's Avatar
    kenn is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    291

    Heads Up

    In regards to the September Castle Law - I just took a CHL class last Friday and they said NOT ALL counties will pay that close attention to it. Which I thought was really crappy. Like Plano and Denton, you are cool - but in Garland, it's apparently like the law never happened. They would let you out of it. If you are just transporting your guns, I'd put 'em in the trunk unloaded.

  12. #12
    Dredd is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by propellerhead View Post
    I was just pointing out that whether it is accessible to the driver or not is not an issue in Texas.
    Nor in FL which is the point. Put it in your glove box, it's concealed. Carry it on a holster and under your shirt, it's concealed

    Fair enough?

  13. #13
    Dredd is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    In regards to the September Castle Law - I just took a CHL class last Friday and they said NOT ALL counties will pay that close attention to it. Which I thought was really crappy. Like Plano and Denton, you are cool - but in Garland, it's apparently like the law never happened. They would let you out of it. If you are just transporting your guns, I'd put 'em in the trunk unloaded.
    No cop is gonna stop you for a broken tail light and say "you got a gun in your car?". That just won't happen. They are not looking for your gun(s). Just keep them out of sight and you're set.

  14. #14
    kenn's Avatar
    kenn is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    291

    point taken

    Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    No cop is gonna stop you for a broken tail light and say "you got a gun in your car?". That just won't happen. They are not looking for your gun(s). Just keep them out of sight and you're set.
    Correct, but if they ask to search the car - random traffic stop/drugs and what' not (this is fairly common on the highways - 45,10- outside of Houston)-he probably should let them know he has a weapon.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Grande Pradera, TX
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    Nor in FL which is the point. Put it in your glove box, it's concealed. Carry it on a holster and under your shirt, it's concealed

    Fair enough?
    I had no issue with your definition of concealed. I was commenting on your statement about having the pistol inaccessible. I even boldfaced it when I quoted you. In Texas, there's no requirement to make the handgun inaccessible to the driver.

  16. #16
    Dredd is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by propellerhead View Post
    I had no issue with your definition of concealed. I was commenting on your statement about having the pistol inaccessible. I even boldfaced it when I quoted you. In Texas, there's no requirement to make the handgun inaccessible to the driver.
    I didn't mean to say inaccessable. What FL law states is kind of vague. Basically you aren't supposed to have it like laying on the seat so you can grab it and put a bullet in a dude's face when he walks up to you after a fender bender.

  17. #17
    Dredd is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    Correct, but if they ask to search the car - random traffic stop/drugs and what' not (this is fairly common on the highways - 45,10- outside of Houston)-he probably should let them know he has a weapon.
    right because he is well within the law and has the right under the law to carry a weapon inside his car.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can i carry a handgun in my car in texas without a ccl license?
,
can i drive with a gun in my car in texas
,
can i drive with a handgun in my car in texas without a chl
,
can i have a gun in my business without a chl
,
can i travel in texas with a gun in my purse
,
concealing pistol in bag tx no chl
,
gun in car without chl in texas
,
how to transport a hand gun from illinois to houston texas
,
penalty texas for carryin without chl
,
texas carry gun without chl
,

texas gun laws without chl

,
where can i legally carry my gun without a chl
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1