Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873

    Looking for some input RE: Carry Gun

    Well, I put purchasing the .22 on hold mostly due to the fact that I almost always shoot with my buddy and he brings his, and is always willing to let me borrow/shoot it whenever I want. On top of that, I found a couple of amazing deals (those diamonds in the rough that I speak of ). So, I've decided to purchase a sub-compact (yes, I'm going to purchase a carry gun before I can even carry....it will just make me work that much harder to move to Arizona ). Anyways, I just got back from the local place to hold the two options. The deals I found are on the XDSubCompact in 9mm and the Glock 26(9mm). I'm just looking for your guys' view/input on this. I'm not looking for people to tell me that the "Glock is better than the XD" or vice versa, just wondering what you think based on how I feel about it. Here it goes:

    XDSC - $399 Black New
    Feels a TAD bit better in the hand than the Glock 26, but not enough to sway me either way.
    I like the idea of a grip safety, but not too terribly concerned about it.
    Ambi Magazine Release.
    Wouldn't need a pinky extension with this, because the grip is longer (but same capacity...not talking about the extended mag here...as far as I'm concerned that's pointless).
    It's heavier.
    It's a little fatter, or atleast it sure feels and looks that way.

    G26 - $420 Says used, excellent condition, "fired very little"
    Lighter.
    Slimmer.
    More accessories/holster options.
    I kind of like the rear sight on the glocks.
    Something different from what I already own.
    Comes with some kind of holster..some kind of crappy one, but...it's a holster.
    Would need pinky extensions on the mags, obviously not a big deal or cost, just a thought (one mag already has extension on it).
    It's used (although not all that much, it's still used).
    No ambi magazine release (not a huge deal, just adds a split second or two to the reload time....until I make it automatic that is.)

    So, based on that what do you guys think? I'm not concerned with reliability as these are both extremely reliable guns. I'm looking for input based on what I've said about how I feel. I appreciate any and all input/opinions. Thanks!

    -Jeff-
    Last edited by BeefyBeefo; 03-04-2008 at 09:54 PM.

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    While I am well known here as a Glock proponent, I think this is a tough call.

    The Glock is a tad lighter and slimmer. It also has a lower bore axis and much shorter trigger reset, which are advantages that become more and more important as you progress in skill. I wouldn't worry about the Glock being "pre-owned." I've never owned a new Glock.

    But you already have an XD9. It makes sense to me to buy that gun's little brother for carry, rather than a gun with a different grip angle and different trigger. Practice with the big gun will translate more readily to skill with the little one.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  4. #3
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    While I am well known here as a Glock proponent, I think this is a tough call.

    The Glock is a tad lighter and slimmer. It also has a lower bore axis and much shorter trigger reset, which are advantages that become more and more important as you progress in skill. I wouldn't worry about the Glock being "pre-owned." I've never owned a new Glock.

    But you already have an XD9. It makes sense to me to buy that gun's little brother for carry, rather than a gun with a different grip angle and different trigger. Practice with the big gun will translate more readily to skill with the little one.
    Thanks for the input as always Mike. I think you just cited all of the reasons why this is a hard decision for me. I have the big brother, so would be very similar in almost every way. BUT, I don't own a Glock (and I seriously think everyone should own one...no, that's not a joke). It would "diversify" my collection . Haven't shot a glock in a LONG time, and can't rent here so I can't compare in that way. I like the idea that the Glock is slimmer and lighter (I THINK the glock loaded weighs what the XD does unloaded...could be wrong though). I don't know what to do!!!! I intend on practicing like a freak with all of my guns...lot of rounds and lots of range time, so would it still be a factor being that it's a different grip angle/etc? I would imagine it would still be a factor, but maybe not as pronounced as it may be with someone that didn't put in that much range time? Thanks again.

    -Jeff-

    Edited to add: I'm not at all worried about the Glock being used. It looks new, and even if it didn't I wouldn't be worried about it. I was just listing the facts so that all bases were covered Just thought I would add this since I forgot

  5. #4
    PhilR. is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    982
    Although I have a Glock 26 and would not consider an XD, I would have to say that buying a new XD for $100 less (on average) than a new G26 is a pretty good deal.

    BTW, the reasons why I would not own an XD is purely personal, and not related to the function of the XD. The XD's are fine shooting weapons....

    PhilR.

  6. #5
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilR. View Post
    I would have to say that buying a new XD for $100 less (on average) than a new G26 is a pretty good deal.
    I definitely agree, and I think it's even better than a [I]pretty good[I] deal, but this used G26 is only $20 more than the XD, and as far as I'm concerned it's almost new. I just don't know what to do. These deals aren't going to sit there forever either, so I'll make a decision some time tomorrow. I appreciate the input.

    -Jeff-

  7. #6
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    I also wanted to add that the Glock doesn't come with a case or papers or anything, just the gun and two magazines. There is some "minor wear" on the gun. It's not the excellent condition gun I was thinking of (although the pictures look great), but this still doesn't worry me all that much. Again, any and all input is greatly appreciated.

    -Jeff-
    Last edited by BeefyBeefo; 03-04-2008 at 11:35 PM.

  8. #7
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    If this is a gun on which you may bet your life, prioritize the purchase accordingly. Don't get a Glock just to have a Glock in your "collection."

    If you plan to do a lot of shooting, great. Just bear in mind that all that shooting you do with the XD9 will apply directly to skill with the baby XD. Not so the Glock, so in essence, by choosing the Glock, you are giving up all that practice with the bigger XD when it comes to your carry gun.

    Lower bore axis and shorter reset be damned, a guy with twice (or more) the trigger time on an XD is a more adept shooter and a more formidable fighter than a guy with more limited trigger time on a Glock.

    I cannot believe I am campaigning for a XD over a Glock. Hell has undoubtedly frozen over.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  9. #8
    JeffWard's Avatar
    JeffWard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    St Pete Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,932
    Did you say $399 on NEW XD SubCompact???

    Buy ME one, I'll pay ya later!

    PS... re holsters, accessories... If yo own an XD9, you already OWN the accessories. My XD45 and XD9SC take almost all the same stuff, just watch your fitment charts.

    Hey Mike, wanna shoot my Xds when you get home?

  10. #9
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWard View Post
    Hey Mike, wanna shoot my Xds when you get home?
    I'd like to give the one with the trigger mod a whirl, actually. SHOT Show is in Orlando in '09. If I can swing you a pass, can I shoot your gun?

    Beers are on me after the guns are put away.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  11. #10
    Dsig1's Avatar
    Dsig1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    687
    I recently went through this exact search and it is very subjective. Below $550 I narrowed it to the XD SC, Glock 26, Glock 19, CZ Rami and the M&P Compact. I eliminated the Glock 26 because I would always have to keep the grip extension on and at that point, the only difference between it and the G 19 is 1/2 inch in length. After all of my testing and handling, I chose the XD SC because it is a true sub compact that still maintains a usable grip without a grip extension. A new one for $399 is a great value. I also like the added back strap safety feature. I shot mine yesterday along with a friends G 19 and I have no regrets with my decision. My groups were the same at 10 and 15 yards.

  12. #11
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    If this is a gun on which you may bet your life, prioritize the purchase accordingly. Don't get a Glock just to have a Glock in your "collection."
    I would be my life on a Glock any day. Being that I didn't already have one wasn't my reasoning for wanting one, but I understand your point here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    If you plan to do a lot of shooting, great. Just bear in mind that all that shooting you do with the XD9 will apply directly to skill with the baby XD. Not so the Glock, so in essence, by choosing the Glock, you are giving up all that practice with the bigger XD when it comes to your carry gun.
    I'm thinking that this is the one reason why I will end up with the XD. This is by far the biggest point that could be made between the two, and I feel as though it may outweigh everything else being said.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    Lower bore axis and shorter reset be damned, a guy with twice (or more) the trigger time on an XD is a more adept shooter and a more formidable fighter than a guy with more limited trigger time on a Glock.
    I definitely agree that my range/practice time with BOTH XDs will outweigh the technical advantages that the Glock MAY have over the XD.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    I cannot believe I am campaigning for a XD over a Glock. Hell has undoubtedly frozen over.
    I can't believe it either!

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWard View Post
    Did you say $399 on NEW XD SubCompact???
    Yea, this is a GREAT deal and a hard one to pass up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsig1 View Post
    I recently went through this exact search and it is very subjective. Below $550 I narrowed it to the XD SC, Glock 26, Glock 19, CZ Rami and the M&P Compact. I eliminated the Glock 26 because I would always have to keep the grip extension on and at that point, the only difference between it and the G 19 is 1/2 inch in length. After all of my testing and handling, I chose the XD SC because it is a true sub compact that still maintains a usable grip without a grip extension. A new one for $399 is a great value. I also like the added back strap safety feature. I shot mine yesterday along with a friends G 19 and I have no regrets with my decision. My groups were the same at 10 and 15 yards.
    Good points made here. The Glock is a full inch shorter than the XDSC, but once I put the pinky extensions on, that won't so much be the case anymore.

    Well, thanks everyone for your GREAT input I really appreciate it. Everyone has made great points here and it seems as though the consensus is that the XD is the smarter, possibly better(Mike?) choice here. Any other input/opinions are definitely welcome as I won't make my choice until late tonight/early tomorrow. Thanks again!

    -Jeff-

  13. #12
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Well, I bought the XD9SC so it should be here later this week, I can't wait!! 2 XD's within 3 weeks....something must be wrong with me Thanks to everyone for their input on this, I appreciate it. All good points, and exactly what I was looking for. $399 is one hell of a deal for this gun and hard to pass up. It's only $10 less than I paid for my bi-tone service, but I think the SC's go for a little more usually. Thanks again for everyone's input.

    -Jeff-

  14. #13
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    I will surely be excommunicated for my heresy at the next meeting of the Sith Lords.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  15. #14
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    I will surely be excommunicated for my heresy at the next meeting of the Sith Lords.





    I'm telling.

    -Jeff-

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •