Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40
  1. #1
    Nuclearpanduh is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16

    need a Custom Revolver to be made.

    Hello all!

    I am looking for a custom revolver to be made. I have a couple concept pictures for it i will link. it is to be a .357 6" barrel 6-8 round cylinder. If anyone knows a good gunsmith please let me know or send me an email so we can start talking about pricing.

    here are some links

    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ndback-357.png

    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...d_back_357.png

    Thanks
    Nuke

  2. #2
    Bob Wright's Avatar
    Bob Wright is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Memphis TN
    Posts
    1,548
    Have you tried Mattel Toys?

    Or you can just wait fourteen years until the company that makes it is formed.

    Bob Wright
    Last edited by Bob Wright; 03-12-2013 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Blamed if I know!

  3. #3
    Bob Wright's Avatar
    Bob Wright is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Memphis TN
    Posts
    1,548
    Your are kidding, right?

    Bob Wright

  4. #4
    VAMarine's Avatar
    VAMarine is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,365

    Re: need a Custom Revolver to be made.

    Ahhh hell, I'll play.

    What you could do is loose the side way opening and go with an Uberti top break in .38spcl or .45Colt or a Ruger GP100 and send the base gun into Gemini Customs, make sure to get the cylinder cut for moon clips.

    Maybe the S&W TR8, that got a rail and holds 8rds of .357 mag.

    Loose the "barrel shroud", for what appears to be a weight on the lower barrel you will need some mill work done or a rail to be attached under it, the Ruger has a beefier barrel that might support additional welding and milling...but a slicked up top break would look pretty cool, but would be single action only. Unless you find a double action top break.

  5. #5
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,393
    VAMarine beat me to it.
    To achieve the quick reload you seem to want, any currently made revolver can be modified to use some sort of full-moon clip, pre-loaded with ammunition. (You'd probably need custom-made clips too, of course.) Certainly, even custom-made clips would be cheaper to replace than entire cylinders. (Yes, you will lose a few.)
    The twist-to-open feature seems unnecessary, overly complex, and weaker than the S&W-style, crane-hinged cylinder that locks at both ends. (A top-break revolver would definitely be much weaker too, by the way.)
    Unless you are wedded to the twist-open and replacement-cylinder gimmicks, I suggest that there are better, stronger, and much cheaper ways to achieve your apparent objective.

  6. #6
    Nuclearpanduh is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16
    VAMarine,

    Thank you for the information you have been very insightful. I Will be heading your advice and looking deeper into it so i can have this revolver built. If you have any other suggestions please let me know thanks allot.

  7. #7
    Nuclearpanduh is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16
    Mr. Wright,

    While I understand you do not share my enthusiasm for having this revolver made your criticism is unnecessary. I came to this forum looking for advice on building a custom revolver and VAMarine & SteaveM1911A have provided me with great ideas to get my CUSTOM piece made. Thank you for your input though.

    Nuke

  8. #8
    Nuclearpanduh is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16
    Steve,

    Thank you for your advice you and VA have added great input. I will be looking into what you have said. Would you by chance know of a person i can contact to get started on this little project of mine??

    Thank you
    Nuke

  9. #9
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclearpanduh View Post
    Steve...Would you by chance know of a person i can contact to get started on this little project of mine?
    From experience, I suggest that you find a local gunsmith, rather than accessing someone far away.
    If it were me wanting this job done, I would first establish a personal relationship with the gunsmith, so that he will accept your request as completely serious, and not just theoretical.
    Then, I would solicit his input about the design, and I would take his advice about what is feasible and what is not. Much discussion should follow, as the idea is completely ironed out between the two of you.
    So, no, I cannot recommend someone to you.

    Machining a revolver's cylinder to accept full-moon clips is a pretty simple job. If I had a lathe, I could do it. (But I don't, so don't ask.)
    The real difficulty will be making the clips themselves. That might require some real ingenuity, and maybe a custom-made stamping die for use by a specialist sheet-metal fabricator. The die will be quite expensive to have made, but, once made, the job of fabricating the clips themselves will be quite cheap.
    The other modifications may be somewhat complex, but are still within the abilities of a well-trained machinist or gunsmith.

  10. #10
    Bob Wright's Avatar
    Bob Wright is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Memphis TN
    Posts
    1,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclearpanduh View Post
    Mr. Wright,

    While I understand you do not share my enthusiasm for having this revolver made your criticism is unnecessary. I came to this forum looking for advice on building a custom revolver and VAMarine & SteaveM1911A have provided me with great ideas to get my CUSTOM piece made. Thank you for your input though.

    Nuke
    Since this was a sheer fantasy episode from some video game, I did think you were/are putting us on. If you are indeed sincere in pursuing this project, I hope you have very, very deep pockets.

    Again, I point out that the company that makes this, Mustang Arms, is to be formed in the year 2027.


    And, from the website:

    "(I)t uses telescoped ammunition, in which the projectile is completely enveloped in the case by the propellant. This revolver can also use heavyweight .357 magnum special explosive rounds. It can accept 5, 6, or 7 round cylinders. The weapon uses a side break action rather than conventional swing-out cylinder for reloading.
    When modified with the explosive round modification, it becomes even more powerful, killing many enemies in a single shot.

    Ammunition is very rare at the start of the game, but after locating Sandoval becomes vastly more common."

    Bob Wright

  11. #11
    rex
    rex is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,298
    By Bob's description this is a takeoff of the old gig of caseless rounds from years ago that went nowhere,and if this does exist now it's a prototype working out the many bugs-speculating because I don't want to look any further into it.As it sits now,you don't need a gunsmith,you need an engineer/machinist above your normal smith.That means serious money and pretty much going where they began this venture.

    Beyond that,I really don't know what to say,but welcome aboard.

  12. #12
    Nuclearpanduh is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
    Since this was a sheer fantasy episode from some video game, I did think you were/are putting us on. If you are indeed sincere in pursuing this project, I hope you have very, very deep pockets.

    Again, I point out that the company that makes this, Mustang Arms, is to be formed in the year 2027.


    And, from the website:

    "(I)t uses telescoped ammunition, in which the projectile is completely enveloped in the case by the propellant. This revolver can also use heavyweight .357 magnum special explosive rounds. It can accept 5, 6, or 7 round cylinders. The weapon uses a side break action rather than conventional swing-out cylinder for reloading.
    When modified with the explosive round modification, it becomes even more powerful, killing many enemies in a single shot.

    Ammunition is very rare at the start of the game, but after locating Sandoval becomes vastly more common."

    Bob Wright
    Yes Mr.Wright

    I understand what it says about the gun those details don't matter. I do have deep pockets and I am looking to make this gun that is currently not a real gun into a reality that's why i came to this forum to get advice on making it. Thats why the title of this is " need a Custom Revolver to be made" I get it sir thank you for pointing out the very obvious signs that this is not a real gun i get it thank you.

  13. #13
    Nuclearpanduh is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    By Bob's description this is a takeoff of the old gig of caseless rounds from years ago that went nowhere,and if this does exist now it's a prototype working out the many bugs-speculating because I don't want to look any further into it.As it sits now,you don't need a gunsmith,you need an engineer/machinist above your normal smith.That means serious money and pretty much going where they began this venture.

    Beyond that,I really don't know what to say,but welcome aboard.
    All the hub bub about the ammo, this and that isn't what im looking for. Im looking to make a custom .357 that resembles this gun. I understand its a fictional piece at the moment. Thats why i came here to find out who i can talk to about getting a .357 that resembles this gun aesthetically. not literally in every way. thats why i only posted pictures and not a big description about every little detail.

    Thank you Rex for the welcome though this seems like a very knowledgeable board

  14. #14
    TurboHonda's Avatar
    TurboHonda is online now Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclearpanduh View Post
    All the hub bub about the ammo, this and that isn't what im looking for. Im looking to make a custom .357 that resembles this gun. I understand its a fictional piece at the moment. Thats why i came here to find out who i can talk to about getting a .357 that resembles this gun aesthetically. not literally in every way. thats why i only posted pictures and not a big description about every little detail.

    Thank you Rex for the welcome though this seems like a very knowledgeable board
    Stow the indignation. Bob's reply to your first post on this board was researched and appropriate.

    You said you "need" a custom revolver, then attached a picture of a structurally weak fantasy gun. Now you want to qualify what you really meant? The hub bub started with you.

  15. #15
    Bob Wright's Avatar
    Bob Wright is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Memphis TN
    Posts
    1,548
    Nuclearpanduh,

    I meant no offense, but did in fact think your were putting us on.

    As to such a revolver, consider the old Iver Johnson revolvers and the Merwin Hulberts, which "broke" open in unusual ways. I believe the IJ revovler was based on the Shattuck patents. The weakness in both of these designs was that the guns had to be made to very close tolerances, and were subject to premature wear so that the guns "shot loose" fairly early, and were never capable of containing the stress of high pressure revolver rounds.

    I apologize for my misunderstanding.

    Bob Wright

  16. #16
    Nuclearpanduh is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
    Nuclearpanduh,

    I meant no offense, but did in fact think your were putting us on.

    As to such a revolver, consider the old Iver Johnson revolvers and the Merwin Hulberts, which "broke" open in unusual ways. I believe the IJ revovler was based on the Shattuck patents. The weakness in both of these designs was that the guns had to be made to very close tolerances, and were subject to premature wear so that the guns "shot loose" fairly early, and were never capable of containing the stress of high pressure revolver rounds.

    I apologize for my misunderstanding.

    Bob Wright
    Hmm very interesting. Thank you for your input i will be also looking further into this. I have been looking around and the Raging Bull and Mateba Model 6 unica auto revolver. What are your opinions on these? I have also found a few custom pieces around the web that look very interesting to me however i cannot seem to find the model used for them. I am probably looking in the neighborhood of $7-$10,000 on this project.

    Thanks

  17. #17
    Nuclearpanduh is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16
    Oh also I wanted to ask your opinion on the side load out. Is that a plausible idea or do you think it will have to be more traditional cylinder fold out?

  18. #18
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,393
    I note in your illustrations that only one pivot supports the cylinder/barrel assembly, and it's up at the bottom-front of the cylinder, where it has very little mechanical advantage.
    There seems to be no method, at the rear end of the cylinder, of resisting the tension and torsion forces created by firing a cartridge and the departure of its bullet. As the proposed gun is fired, rather strong forces will attempt to separate the pistol's cylinder from its recoil shield. These forces must be contained. There should be some set of interlocking shapes, where the rear end if the top-strap meets the recoil shield, to contain these forces (see: Merwin & Hulbert revolvers).

    Bob notes that the failure of, among other guns, the Merwin & Hulbert revolvers similar to yours, was the result of complex shapes that had to be made to fit together tightly, but were made of old-fashion, rather soft steel—or even iron. Premature wear defeated the basic concept.
    However, had Merwin & Hulbert pistols been made out of modern steel that was properly heat-treated, they might've been quite successful. It would all depend upon either modern CNC machining, or careful hand-fitting...or both.

    I further note that the barrel/cylinder pivot of the design you reference is in entirely the wrong place. In order that the cylinder open as shown, the vertical pivot would have to be moved to a far-off-center position, on the right side of the frame's front end. Only then would the cylinder open away from the pistol's recoil shield.
    If it were to stay where the illustration has placed it, the right edge of the cylinder, or the cartridge heads, would jam up against the recoil shield, and the cylinder could not open. (For an illustration of the correct arrangement, albeit in the vertical plane, see: Webley, Harrington & Richardson, and Iver Johnson top-break revolvers.)
    However, placing the pivot in the correct position to permit easy opening would then put even more strain on it, both in tension and in torsion, making a rear-end-of-top-strap connection even more important, and requiring that connection to be heavily constructed, strongly arranged, and tightly fitted. This last fact is the reason why top-break revolvers are never designed to use powerful cartridges (see: Smith & Wesson top-break revolvers).

    I also note that the concept of an easily-removable cylinder will invariable result in the loss of that cylinder, if the revolver is ever entered into a real, save-your-life fight.
    This is why I suggested a strongly attached cylinder, and separate "full moon" cartridge clips instead. Clips are easy and inexpensive to replace, once a die has been made.

  19. #19
    TurboHonda's Avatar
    TurboHonda is online now Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    228
    You might also look at the Chiappa Rhino. It looks unorthodox and claims a logical reason for being so.

  20. #20
    Jonny_Cannon's Avatar
    Jonny_Cannon is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    89
    I want a custom revolver, too. It will fire the 30mm depleted uranium round my favorite airplane does.

    Cannon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

custom 357
,
custom built revolver
,

custom built revolvers

,

custom made revolvers

,
custom raging bull revolver
,

custom revolver

,

custom revolvers

,
custom rhino revolver
,
diamond back 357
,
diamondback .357
,
diamondback 357
,
fantasy revolver
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1