What is the real world advantage of copper plated ammo?

    Results 1 to 6 of 6
    1. #1
      flw
      flw is offline
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Posts
      52

      What is the real world advantage of copper plated ammo?

      I know it cost more but if cost was the same, what is the advantage to copper plated ammo ? 22LR specifically

      Thanks

    2. #2
      Member talldrink's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Location
      SEMO
      Posts
      109
      Typically HV 22lr are plated and standard/subsonic are not. Just because its plated the cost isn't really a factor. Most cheap bulk packs are HV and plated except for CCI blazer while top shelf target ammo like Eley is lubed lead, standard velocity and pricey.

      I've been told that the copper plating helps reduce barrel leading and acts as a lube, even though I've seen plated ammo with a wax coating. Personally, I think it's mostly cosmetic if doesn't act like I was told. I"ll let someone else verify.... Either way I don't lose any sleep worrying about it much.

    3. #3
      Senior Member zhurdan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Location
      Wyoming
      Posts
      1,251
      Quote Originally Posted by talldrink View Post

      I've been told that the copper plating helps reduce barrel leading and acts as a lube, even though I've seen plated ammo with a wax coating. Personally, I think it's mostly cosmetic if doesn't act like I was told. I"ll let someone else verify.... Either way I don't lose any sleep worrying about it much.
      There's no leading per se from jacketed bullets. The residue left in the barrel is from the powder. If you ever get the chance, pick up a fired jacketed bullet from the range. You'll see that no lead is exposed to the barrel during firing.

    4. #4
      flw
      flw is offline
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Posts
      52
      So is it correct that with plated bullet you should have a clean barrel for a longer period of time?

    5. #5
      Member talldrink's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Location
      SEMO
      Posts
      109
      Quote Originally Posted by zhurdan View Post
      There's no leading per se from jacketed bullets. The residue left in the barrel is from the powder. If you ever get the chance, pick up a fired jacketed bullet from the range. You'll see that no lead is exposed to the barrel during firing.
      Just to keep every thing straight, 22 lr bullets are not jacketed it is only a very thin copper wash. Yes, i agree with what your saying about a jacketed bullet. Yesterday I was checking out some of my 45acp JHPs that I fired.

    6. #6
      Member talldrink's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Location
      SEMO
      Posts
      109
      Quote Originally Posted by flw View Post
      So is it correct that with plated bullet you should have a clean barrel for a longer period of time?
      You will still have copper fouling. If you use a copper solvent your patches will come out blue.

      When it comes to cleaning 22 rimfire, you'll come across two mind sets. Those who clean the bore every time they shoot and those who only clean the bore once accuracy starts to fall off. I clean my bolt and chambers every time, but leave the bore alone untill my groups open up. depending on my guns that might not be untill I shoot a few bricks worth of ammo or more.

    Sponsored Links

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  

    Search tags for this page

    22 lr lead vs copper plated
    ,
    advantage of copper plated bullets
    ,
    copper jacketed 22lr
    ,

    copper plated subsonic 22lr

    ,
    copper plated vs lead 22
    ,

    copper plated vs lead bullets

    ,
    copper vs lead .22 lr bullets
    ,
    lead vs copper bullets
    ,
    lead vs copper plated ammo
    ,
    what is the purpose of copper plated bullets
    ,
    why are bullets copper plated
    ,
    why copper plated bullets
    Click on a term to search for related topics.