Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    PanaDP's Avatar
    PanaDP is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hollywood
    Posts
    406

    Something a little more traditional...

    Here's something a little more traditional than most of the firearms around here.

    Recently my Dad bought a marlin levergun in 45-70 govt. Being interested in historical shooting and long range target shooting, I followed suit this weekend and ordered an H&R buffalo classic in the same caliber. I think I'm going to put a nice vernier peep sight on it and see what it can do on some real long range stuff.

    Here's a photo of a buffalo classic. This one has been reamed out to 45-120.

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    Baldy's Avatar
    Baldy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Port St.John,FL.
    Posts
    6,741

    Talking

    Watch out that will knock the fillings out of your choppers if you don't get a good grip on it. Sure is a beauty. Good lock with it.

  4. #3
    PanaDP's Avatar
    PanaDP is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hollywood
    Posts
    406
    Yeah, I'm not expecting an easy rifle to shoot at first. I'm also planning on a good recoil pad and maybe even a mercury recoil reducer in the stock. The buttstock is bolted to the receiver so there's a very handy hole already there.

  5. #4
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Holy crap those are some HUGE bullets!!! Congrats PanaDP let us know how that long range shooting goes

    -Jeff-

  6. #5
    PanaDP's Avatar
    PanaDP is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hollywood
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    Holy crap those are some HUGE bullets!!! Congrats PanaDP let us know how that long range shooting goes

    -Jeff-
    Those are considerably longer than what I'll be shooting. For those who don't know, 45-70 is an old (very old) US military caliber from when caliber designations are formatted as caliber-blackpowder charge, so the 45-70 was a 45 caliber bullet on top of 70 grains of blackpowder.

    Pictured in that photo is 45-120. Yeah, that'd hurt a bit.

    I'll probably mostly shoot smokeless loads but some blackpowder shooting might be fun to try as well.

    For more, see here.

  7. #6
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Nice!

    I don't know what the H&R rifle weighs, but years ago I did a lot of shooting with a Sharps and a Rolling Block in .45-70 and both were actually quite pleasant and gentle to shoot. And a heck of a lot of fun!
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  8. #7
    niadhf's Avatar
    niadhf is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rural New York
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by PanaDP View Post
    Yeah, I'm not expecting an easy rifle to shoot at first. I'm also planning on a good recoil pad and maybe even a mercury recoil reducer in the stock. The buttstock is bolted to the receiver so there's a very handy hole already there.
    Pana. That is a sweet gun. Kick is no worse than (and sometimes not as bad as) a 12 gauge. I have that, and the NEF Handi-rifle in same caliber. Its my regular hunting gun. Enjoy. Try some black powder for a real taste (literally, plus smell, feell etc lol) of them old time rounds.

  9. #8
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Looks like the thing shoots cigarettes! Those are some seriously long cartridges!

  10. #9
    PanaDP's Avatar
    PanaDP is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hollywood
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    Nice!

    I don't know what the H&R rifle weighs, but years ago I did a lot of shooting with a Sharps and a Rolling Block in .45-70 and both were actually quite pleasant and gentle to shoot. And a heck of a lot of fun!
    I think it's lighter than both of those. I know Shiloh makes their sharps rifles in various weights from 10 to 12 lbs or so. I don't know about the rolling block. The buffalo classic is specced at 8 lbs.

    I'm planning on a little more weight being a necessity for extended periods of target shooting, especially with some hotter loads I'd like to try to reach out further.

  11. #10
    niadhf's Avatar
    niadhf is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rural New York
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by PanaDP View Post
    I think it's lighter than both of those. I know Shiloh makes their sharps rifles in various weights from 10 to 12 lbs or so. I don't know about the rolling block. The buffalo classic is specced at 8 lbs.

    I'm planning on a little more weight being a necessity for extended periods of target shooting, especially with some hotter loads I'd like to try to reach out further.
    A nice shoulder shooting pad can work wonders withought changing your gun.
    BE VERY careful with "hotter" loads in a break action. H&R and NEF (Marlin owned btw) do NOT recomend hot loads in their break actions. At least not when I talked to them.

  12. #11
    PanaDP's Avatar
    PanaDP is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hollywood
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by niadhf View Post
    A nice shoulder shooting pad can work wonders withought changing your gun.
    BE VERY careful with "hotter" loads in a break action. H&R and NEF (Marlin owned btw) do NOT recomend hot loads in their break actions. At least not when I talked to them.
    I have read that they can handle loads up into the lever action range of pressures regularly and can even tolerate the occasional ruger #1 level stuff, just not regularly. I don't see myself loading anything that hot, except maybe out of morbid curiosity.

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

vernier sight for buffalo classic

Click on a term to search for related topics.