Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: You Know you live in the USA wen..

  1. #1
    PT111Pro is online now Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    I'm here
    Posts
    709

    You Know you live in the USA wen..

    you have Sunday lunch, you need a bottle red wine and the liquor store in your county is closed because it is holy Sunday.

  2. #2
    paratrooper's Avatar
    paratrooper is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,626
    Quote Originally Posted by PT111Pro View Post
    you have Sunday lunch, you need a bottle red wine and the liquor store in your county is closed because it is holy Sunday.


    The grocery stores where I live sell alcohol 7 days a week.

  3. #3
    Sandiphete is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    7
    The liquor stores are closed here, too, but my little town has at least 10 wineries with Sunday hours. If I skip across either state line there are dozens more. There is a definite plus to living in grape country.
    PT111Pro likes this.

  4. #4
    lewwallace's Avatar
    lewwallace is online now Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    22
    Make yer own, then its always on hand!!

  5. #5
    PT111Pro is online now Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    I'm here
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by paratrooper View Post
    The grocery stores where I live sell alcohol 7 days a week.
    Well - yea - I know - but that means I have to run all the way to town.

  6. #6
    PT111Pro is online now Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    I'm here
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by lewwallace View Post
    Make yer own, then its always on hand!!
    I've got grapes but..
    would you teach me how?

  7. #7
    paratrooper's Avatar
    paratrooper is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,626
    Quote Originally Posted by PT111Pro View Post
    I've got grapes but..
    would you teach me how?

    It's easy! Just get a big vat, dump a whole bunch of grapes in it, take off your shoes, get in and stomp around until it's all liquid. Let it sit and age for several years and you're ready to go.

    The above may or may not be accurate. I'm just going by what I've heard..............
    hillman likes this.

  8. #8
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    6,426
    paratrooper is almost right.
    He just left out some important details.

    First of all, make sure that your feet are not clean, and that there's lots of "toe jam" between the digits. That's where the yeast which ferments the wine comes from.

    Next, you need to choose whether you're making red wine or white wine. If it's red wine, you leave the grape skins in the mix. But if you're making white wine, you need to remove the grape skins. I think that this is best done from inside the fermentation vat. Also, to be absolutely certain that the resulting wine will be white, you need to very carefully remove all of those skins. This is best done with the fingers, one by one. From inside, remember.

    Then, you leave the juice to ferment. It develops a nasty-looking, gray goop on top, but ignore that. It also attracts insects and mice, but ignore them, too, because they just add flavor and body to the resulting wine. (But you do need to make sure that the mice are dead. Otherwise, they drink too much of the juice.)

    And that's it. In just a few short months (the ones with only 30 days—ignore those pesky 31-day months) you will have a vat of delicious wine. Decant it from the vat into whatever you have handy: Jelly jars, beer bottles, old shoes...best is the old rubber hot-water bottle from your bed. Seal them with whatever's handy. Used condoms are fine.

    Enjoy!
    hillman, PT111Pro and Greybeard like this.

  9. #9
    hillman's Avatar
    hillman is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southeastern Vermont
    Posts
    465
    Wow! An old-school wine aficionado!


  10. #10
    SouthernBoy's Avatar
    SouthernBoy is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Va
    Posts
    3,478
    Liquor stores, which are state owned and run, are open on Sunday in Virginia.

  11. #11
    paratrooper's Avatar
    paratrooper is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    paratrooper is almost right.
    He just left out some important details.

    First of all, make sure that your feet are not clean, and that there's lots of "toe jam" between the digits. That's where the yeast which ferments the wine comes from.

    Next, you need to choose whether you're making red wine or white wine. If it's red wine, you leave the grape skins in the mix. But if you're making white wine, you need to remove the grape skins. I think that this is best done from inside the fermentation vat. Also, to be absolutely certain that the resulting wine will be white, you need to very carefully remove all of those skins. This is best done with the fingers, one by one. From inside, remember.

    Then, you leave the juice to ferment. It develops a nasty-looking, gray goop on top, but ignore that. It also attracts insects and mice, but ignore them, too, because they just add flavor and body to the resulting wine. (But you do need to make sure that the mice are dead. Otherwise, they drink too much of the juice.)

    And that's it. In just a few short months (the ones with only 30 days—ignore those pesky 31-day months) you will have a vat of delicious wine. Decant it from the vat into whatever you have handy: Jelly jars, beer bottles, old shoes...best is the old rubber hot-water bottle from your bed. Seal them with whatever's handy. Used condoms are fine.

    Enjoy!


    I was a lot closer than I thought I was.

    I didn't mention dirty feet, as I thought everyone knew that was a given.

  12. #12
    PT111Pro is online now Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    I'm here
    Posts
    709
    And I thought that that part with the feet is when this nice good looking girls come into play. Now old paratrooper goes into it with his feet. Skip it.
    Steve M1911A1 likes this.

  13. #13
    TurboHonda's Avatar
    TurboHonda is online now Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Flyover, USA
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    paratrooper is almost right.
    He just left out some important details.

    First of all, make sure that your feet are not clean, and that there's lots of "toe jam" between the digits. That's where the yeast which ferments the wine comes from.

    Next, you need to choose whether you're making red wine or white wine. If it's red wine, you leave the grape skins in the mix. But if you're making white wine, you need to remove the grape skins. I think that this is best done from inside the fermentation vat. Also, to be absolutely certain that the resulting wine will be white, you need to very carefully remove all of those skins. This is best done with the fingers, one by one. From inside, remember.

    Then, you leave the juice to ferment. It develops a nasty-looking, gray goop on top, but ignore that. It also attracts insects and mice, but ignore them, too, because they just add flavor and body to the resulting wine. (But you do need to make sure that the mice are dead. Otherwise, they drink too much of the juice.)

    And that's it. In just a few short months (the ones with only 30 days–ignore those pesky 31-day months) you will have a vat of delicious wine. Decant it from the vat into whatever you have handy: Jelly jars, beer bottles, old shoes...best is the old rubber hot-water bottle from your bed. Seal them with whatever's handy. Used condoms are fine.

    Enjoy!
    This has been such an educational week for me. I've learned that scumbags not only loot wine, they help make it. Thank you, Steve. You're one of the smartest guys I don't know.
    Steve M1911A1 likes this.

  14. #14
    paratrooper's Avatar
    paratrooper is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,626
    Quote Originally Posted by PT111Pro View Post
    And I thought that that part with the feet is when this nice good looking girls come into play. Now old paratrooper goes into it with his feet. Skip it.


    I'm not much of a drinker, so I didn't feel any need to make my own wine.

    But if I had by chance, I wear a size 15 boot. I'm thinking I would have stomped grapes much faster than the average Joe.

  15. #15
    tony pasley's Avatar
    tony pasley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    clyde n.c.
    Posts
    2,441
    Around here you get a large copper kettle about 30' of copper tubing a good fire some corn yeast and sugar and a couple of barrels for aging. Only comes in white.
    Steve M1911A1 and GETCHERGUN like this.

  16. #16
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    6,426
    "Get you a copper kettle,
    Get you a copper coil,
    Fill it with new-made corn mash,
    And never more you'll toil.
    You just sit there by the junipers
    While the moon is shinin' bright,
    And watch them jugs a'fillin'
    By the pale moonlight..."

  17. #17
    ybnorml is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    just outside bah habah, maine
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by PT111Pro View Post
    you have Sunday lunch, you need a bottle red wine and the liquor store in your county is closed because it is holy Sunday.
    Plan accordingly and you won't need to search on a Sunday....
    I always buy plenty Friday / Saturday and hide half of it for Sunday.
    hillman likes this.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by paratrooper View Post
    I'm not much of a drinker, so I didn't feel any need to make my own wine.
    That, and he's friends with Jeremiah, a local bullfrog. (He always had some mighty fine wine)
    SailDesign and Steve M1911A1 like this.

  19. #19
    Bisley's Avatar
    Bisley is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,926
    Dude, you live in Texas - native Texans drink iced tea with Sunday 'dinner.' Dinner is the mid-day meal - the evening meal is 'supper.'

    Five years ago, you couldn't even buy beer in the county I live in. You're just lucky it isn't 40 years ago, when NOTHING was open on Sunday except the gas station. This is the 'Baptist Belt,' where people have to buy alcoholic beverages in advance, or 'make a run' to the county line. We had to wait for the 'hard-shells' to die off before we could win a wet/dry election.

  20. #20
    hillman's Avatar
    hillman is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southeastern Vermont
    Posts
    465
    I was awhile figuring out what meal 'lunch' was, or even that it was a meal. Thought it meant the same as 'snack', so the term 'school lunch' was not educational.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1