View Poll Results: Have you or are you going to get the Swine Flu Vaccine?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have already or am going to get the shot

    5 15.15%
  • No way Jose

    25 75.76%
  • Undecided

    3 9.09%
  • Nun Ya

    0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 47 of 47

Thread: Swine Flu Shot?

  1. #26
    bruce333's Avatar
    bruce333 is online now HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wilson's Mills, NC
    Posts
    2,495
    so the latest headline in the local media says "1000 deaths from H1N1 in the US",....

    so what...the regular flu kills around 36000 every year...just in the US...worldwide, the annual death toll from the flu is estimated to be between 250,000 and 500,000.


    ....sorry no links to sources, this thread has enough links already.

    edit: oh, alright... http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease...ted_deaths.htm
    Bruce, Life Member: NRA, NCRPA, GRNC, GOA

    Naval Air Museum Barbers Point

    "I personally think we developed language because of our deep inner need to complain."--Jane Wagner
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."
    -Isaac Asimov

  2. Ads
  3. #27
    kg333's Avatar
    kg333 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    717
    Easy there guys...no need to get so riled up. It just kills the discussion.

    Anyways, the bit about the cheerleader seems dubious to me. A lot of people have been calling it a hoax since that came to light, and several doctors apparently say it's legit. Apparently the only way to actually verify that condition is implanting EKG sensors in the affected muscle tissues, which is rather destructive.

    KG

  4. #28
    MLB's Avatar
    MLB
    MLB is offline Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    971
    For what it's worth, I thought Kev's post was well intentioned. Nothing wrong with doing our best to get the facts straight.

  5. #29
    James NM's Avatar
    James NM is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by MLB View Post
    For what it's worth, I thought Kev's post was well intentioned...
    Huh? Well intentioned?

    I guess if you ignore the actual post and only look at the links, one might reach that conclusion. But here's the actual post:
    Posted by kev74
    For anyone that wants a little more information than "Inside Edition" or Facebook will provide, here's a little lite reading.

    Is anyone really basing decisions about their family's health on what they saw on a celebrity gossip tv show or a forwarded email without doing a bit more research? God, I hope not.
    Yes sir. That really sounds "well intentioned" to me.

  6. #30
    kg333's Avatar
    kg333 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by kev74
    Is anyone really basing decisions about their family's health on what they saw on a celebrity gossip tv show or a forwarded email without doing a bit more research? God, I hope not.
    Although more abrasively phrased than I would hopefully choose (depends on my mood), I'd be inclined to agree with that sentiment, James. Kev provides an opposing viewpoint around here quite frequently, which IMO leads to people better examining their own position. If his statement above matches you, maybe you should be considering why you're reacting the way you are, if not, don't sweat it.

    As it is, my decision whether to get the shot or not is moot at this point. H1N1 is running rampant in my area now, and I may have had it already, since I had symptoms indicating it (no fever was the only one that didn't match). From people I've talked to, it's not really much different from the regular flu; it just spreads a bit quicker, judging from the number I know who've had matching symptoms already.

    KG

  7. #31
    oak1971's Avatar
    oak1971 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    354
    No shot for me. Last flu shot I had messed me up bad. I shall take my chances.

  8. #32
    MLB's Avatar
    MLB
    MLB is offline Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    971
    Quote Originally Posted by James NM View Post
    Huh? Well intentioned?

    I guess if you ignore the actual post and only look at the links, one might reach that conclusion.
    A bit cynically worded as KG noted, but the concept of considering the source is valid I think. Few here that stay for any length of time have thin skins, and that's a valuable trait when considering opposing opinions.

  9. #33
    James NM's Avatar
    James NM is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by kg333 View Post
    Although more abrasively phrased than I would hopefully choose (depends on my mood), I'd be inclined to agree with that sentiment, James. Kev provides an opposing viewpoint around here quite frequently, which IMO leads to people better examining their own position. If his statement above matches you, maybe you should be considering why you're reacting the way you are, if not, don't sweat it...KG
    Sometimes lately I think I may have been transported to Bizaro world. Don't words have meaning anymore? Are there no such things as logic, common sense, reason, or reality anymore? Kev posts a line of smart ass BS, and he is "well intentioned"? The country is going broke so we are gonna spend our way out of it? Nobel Peace Prize winner Obama won't send extra troops to Afghanistan because he can't spare them in the war against Fox? What idiot would think a normal person would decide on whether or not to get a flu shot based upon "a celebrity gossip tv show or a forwarded email "? I guess simple minded people look for simple answers?

    For the record, and to put some minds to rest, I decided not to get the H1N1 shot before I watched the " celebrity gossip tv show". And while I can't speak for Todd, my guess is he made his decision before he received a "forwarded email".

  10. #34
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by James NM View Post
    And while I can't speak for Todd, my guess is he made his decision before he received a "forwarded email".

    Waaaaaaay before.

  11. #35
    The Reaper's Avatar
    The Reaper is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    66
    I know I'm not taking the flu shot and neither is my wife or son....

    I'm sorry but the Government is trying to push everyone to get the shot but yet the President openly admits that he isn't letting his daughters get the shots???? WTF?? No thank you.. I will pass.

    I haven't had a flu shot since I was 12 and haven't had the Flu since I.......was......well.....12!

    edit:: I'm 26 now btw...

  12. #36
    MLB's Avatar
    MLB
    MLB is offline Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    971
    I'll pass on the red herrings.

    I would have thought that of all the members here, James would be one of the first to appreciate a bit of "smart assed BS". There are a few very sharp wits here. It's one of the reasons I like this place.

  13. #37
    kg333's Avatar
    kg333 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    717
    I'll bite on the red herrings.

    Quote Originally Posted by James NM View Post
    Sometimes lately I think I may have been transported to Bizaro world. Don't words have meaning anymore? Are there no such things as logic, common sense, reason, or reality anymore? Kev posts a line of smart ass BS, and he is "well intentioned"? The country is going broke so we are gonna spend our way out of it? Nobel Peace Prize winner Obama won't send extra troops to Afghanistan because he can't spare them in the war against Fox? What idiot would think a normal person would decide on whether or not to get a flu shot based upon "a celebrity gossip tv show or a forwarded email "? I guess simple minded people look for simple answers?
    This is a smoke screen ignoring the topic at hand(with a wee bit of flame there at the end). FYI, I know a lot of well-intentioned people who also can be smart asses, and a lot of people who are heavily influenced by chain emails and trashy TV.

    Quote Originally Posted by James NM View Post
    For the record, and to put some minds to rest, I decided not to get the H1N1 shot before I watched the " celebrity gossip tv show". And while I can't speak for Todd, my guess is he made his decision before he received a "forwarded email".
    This is replying to the argument, i.e. logic you were bemoaning the death of above.

    Instead of either refuting Kev's argument, which you could have done three posts back with the comment quoted immediately above, or ignoring it as a case of "shoe doesn't fit", you felt it necessary to sarcastically brow beat him and everyone else who felt he had a valid point, even if they disagreed with how it was stated. "What happened to common sense" indeed. I'm finished here.

    KG

  14. #38
    James NM's Avatar
    James NM is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by MLB View Post
    ...I would have thought that of all the members here, James would be one of the first to appreciate a bit of "smart assed BS"...
    Ouch! Was that a dig???

    Actually, I don't believe my characterization of kev's post as "smart assed BS" was really accurate. See below.

    kg333 said:
    Instead of either refuting Kev's argument, which you could have done three posts back with the comment quoted immediately above, or ignoring it as a case of "shoe doesn't fit", you felt it necessary to sarcastically brow beat him and everyone else who felt he had a valid point, even if they disagreed with how it was stated
    Kev's argument? What argument? He made no argument. His post said:
    For anyone that wants a little more information than "Inside Edition" or Facebook will provide, here's a little lite reading.

    Is anyone really basing decisions about their family's health on what they saw on a celebrity gossip tv show or a forwarded email without doing a bit more research? God, I hope not.
    And then some links. Where exactly is the argument? The lack of logic I was referring to was calling this post "well intentioned". Calling this post a "well intentioned argument" is not logical at all. Kev's post was belittling, attacking and ridiculing anyone who would base their flu shot decisions on a"celebrity gossip tv show or a forwarded email". It's pretty obvious kev was insinuating that was what Todd and I were doing. It just so happened that Todd and I responded to a post by chrisbradley441 who claimed that the flu shot could cause no harm. Todd nor I claimed that everyone who got the shot would die or get sick. Just that it was possible. There was NOTHING in kev's post that proved that a flu shot could cause no harm! If there was, then that would be an "argument".

    Now that we have discussed what kev's post wasn't, let's discuss what it was. Let's see....... I'm thinking comments that are controversial, inflammatory, belittling ...... and I'm seeing a bridge with a little a guy underneath it ......

  15. #39
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    4,909
    I couldn't vote, because my case is not covered by the possible responses.
    I do not need the "swine flu" shot! It seems that people born before 1950 (and I was born waaay before 1950) are already immune, having already survived several previous epidemics of that particular strain (which is the same as that of the 1918-1919 pandemic).

    Anyway, according to what I have learned from our GP, a retired teaching doctor who practiced at a prestigious medical school, the problem is not the H1N1 flu itself.
    The real problem is the set of "opportunistic" secondary infections which take advantage of an already-weakened body and immune system. Some of them are inherently extremely deadly.
    These secondary infections are symbiotic, so to speak, with the H1N1 virus, which "paves the way" for the much more serious infection that follows.
    The "regular flu" also does this, but there is less of a relationship between the "ordinary seasonal flu" and the really deadly secondaries. For example, I have gotten pneumonia as an aftermath of the seasonal flu, but pneumonia is easily treated if it's discovered early in its run. I ain't dead yet.

    However, not wanting to ever get pneumonia again, I have gotten my seasonal flu shot.
    As I said, I ain't dead (or even sick) yet.

    Were I susceptible to H1N1, I would get that shot too. I think that it's a far better bet than chancing a truly deadly post-flu infection.

  16. #40
    MLB's Avatar
    MLB
    MLB is offline Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    971
    Quote Originally Posted by James NM View Post
    Ouch! Was that a dig???
    Only a friendly one James. Just pointing out that most of the long-timers here have contributed their fair share of caustic comments. A sharp wit cuts now and then.

    The base concept of checking sources is good, the inference that some do not is just that. I'll maintain my "simple minded" opinion, and respect yours.

  17. #41
    James NM's Avatar
    James NM is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by MLB View Post
    Only a friendly one James. Just pointing out that most of the long-timers here have contributed their fair share of caustic comments. A sharp wit cuts now and then.

    The base concept of checking sources is good, the inference that some do not is just that. I'll maintain my "simple minded" opinion, and respect yours.
    Caustic comments? Nooooo, no no no, not me. I'm much too meek and mild to post anything mean or controversial.

    And there's nothing wrong with checking sources or facts (unless of course you're Fox News holding the Obama administration accountable. I mean, who the hell do they think they are, a news organization?).

    And actually, my "simple minded" comment was not directed at you. I believe I was actually accusing you of being "wrong minded".

  18. #42
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    Some of us, like Steve and I are so damn old we have been subjected to all possible itterations of the flu, including the one in 1957 which I got a vacinnation for. Two weeks later I had a full blown case which turned into pneumonia. I was then given 10 blasts of pennicilin which caused an allergic reaction and damn near killed me.

    In 1958 our ships Corpman tried to give me a second flu shot. I informed him if he wanted two to go ahead and try to give me one. He wisely declined.

    I will not get one this year either whatever Barbara Streisand says.


  19. #43
    omegajb's Avatar
    omegajb is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fairfax VA
    Posts
    64
    I'm conflicted, my wife wants the kids to get the H1N1 shot. I'm not sold.

  20. #44
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    4,909
    Get the shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    ...[A]ccording to what I have learned from our GP, a retired teaching doctor who practiced at a prestigious medical school, the problem is not the H1N1 flu itself.
    The real problem is the set of "opportunistic" secondary infections which take advantage of an already-weakened body and immune system. Some of them are inherently extremely deadly.
    These secondary infections are symbiotic, so to speak, with the H1N1 virus, which "paves the way" for the much more serious infection that follows....[G]et that shot...I think that it's a far better bet than chancing a truly deadly post-flu infection.

  21. #45
    Freedom1911's Avatar
    Freedom1911 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    622
    Already had the fly this year.
    And I don't trust the shot, Obama had a hard on with FORCING EVERYONE to get the shot, Never in my 45 years have I ever seen anyone so hard pressed for EVERYONE to get a shot for any reason. There was that Asian flew back in the 90 that had half the country in bed and there was no MANDATE that everyone get inoculated.
    Don't trust BOBO and since he was so hard pressed for everyone to get the shot. I don't trust it.

  22. #46
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    4,909
    H1N1 is not the same as the "ordinary, annual flu."
    This year, you need both shots (although if you've already had this year's "ordinary" flu, you'd only need the one for H1N1).

  23. #47
    Freedom1911's Avatar
    Freedom1911 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    H1N1 is not the same as the "ordinary, annual flu."
    This year, you need both shots (although if you've already had this year's "ordinary" flu, you'd only need the one for H1N1).

    Never happen. I dont trust it, this is the same flu shot they were giving out in Europe and it was killing people over there. While there are no reported deaths in the states and I hope for the love of God that it stays that way. I will not be taking that shot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •