Plaxico Burress - anyone want to weigh in on this?
I dont follow this player, but it seems the simple facts of the incident are valuable to our entire community.
1. An accidental discharge from a Glock .40 that was "tucked in a waistband". Anyone want to comment on that? Is that not one of the LEAST safe firearms to "Mexican Carry"? I know many who carry the Kel-Tec's clipped in the waistband, but the extremely long trigger stroke and SA style improve safety somewhat. Although, a covered triggerguard is always recommended.
2. Unauthorized carry of a firearn - apparently Plaxico Burress has a CCW permit in a non-reciprocating state. NYC is pretty tough on breaking this law - should he be prosecuted to the fullest extent (mandatory prison time)?
As a resident of the Pittsburgh area, I was glad when the Steelers dumped him. I am not the least bit surprised to see him in trouble again. He has always been arrogant as a player (not earned arrogance when he was here), as well as selfish. He was not a good mesh for the team.
As for his recent incident - like anyone else - he should deal with the consequences of his actions. I have a funny feeling that he will get a slap on the wrist - just like you or I would...
I absolutely think he should have the book thrown at him. He had a FL CCW (that NY doesn't honor anyway, and even if NY honored it, NYC would not) that had expired and was carrying a gun at a night club (so I'd bet his salary he was drinking). He's a moron! I'm just glad that the only person who got injured was his own dumb self.
I was reading a bit about this today and came to these conclusions...
1. This guy had no business carrying a handgun. He didn't have any concern for safety and didn't know how the thing works.
2. The reason being floated around for him carrying is that one of his teammates was recently held up at his home. Plax wanted to be able to defend himself - fair enough. But he lives in NJ and was in NYC, two places you can't start to carry overnight. So it looks like another handgun got through the cracks in the great wall of gun control. I'm guessing he told someone to get him a gun and that's what they did. Unfortunately they didn't get him training or a holster. The next big part of this story is going to be how easy it is for multimillionaires to circumvent gun laws.
3. Instead of taking his lumps with the authorities, he tried to seek treatment from team trainers instead of going straight to the hospital. That didn't work out so well, but when he did go for medical treatment, he had enough pull that the hospital covered for him and didn't notify police like they were required to by law. Now Plax, his buddy that hid the gun and hospital representatives are all looking at criminal prosecution.
4. Mayor Bloomberg - who is VERY anti-gun, has vowed to have anyone and everyone involved with this mess strung up by their nuts. This doesn't look good for anyone who carries a handgun legally, and is going to be quite a detrement for the loosening of concealed carry regulation nationwide.
Definately get the book thrown at him... he's losing $10k per game bonus, plus his $1mil signing bonus. He could hire some body guards for that kinda scratch to follow him around. He had no need to carry a gun to a night club. Hey, I can't carry where there's alcohol, why should he be any different? These "richer-than-they-know-what-to-do-with-it" stars are just plain stupid for risking their bread and butter just to feel tough.
He had no need to carry a gun to a night club. Hey, I can't carry where there's alcohol, why should he be any different? These "richer-than-they-know-what-to-do-with-it" stars are just plain stupid for risking their bread and butter just to feel tough.
What an idiot!
I donít know how true this is, but here in FL, what we are hearing is that it wasnít on a belt clip when it went off, but rather he was cleaning it while in the nightclub when it did
Apparently he was wearing sweatpants with the gun tucked in the waistband with no holster. The gun slipped out of the waistband, under the sweats and slid halfway down his leg. He tried to scootch the gun back up his leg under the pants and in doing so, pulled the trigger.
I fear that when this full story gets out, it may raise issues for guns without external safeties and those may get lumped into a ban of some sort. This is why I would always use a holster that covers the trigger and guard.