View Poll Results: If you had to choose which would it be?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy at Gandermountain this week. (pay too much)

    6 33.33%
  • Wait until end of the month for gunshow. (pay less, possibly with no additional background check)

    5 27.78%
  • Order online (Wait on another background check)

    7 38.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Yjeepin's Avatar
    Yjeepin is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    32

    What would you do?

    Well due to being delayed on buying a gun (stupid ass laws) when I don't have any record at all.

    I can either go pick it up today from Gandermountain (and probably pay more) Or wait till the end of the month and hit the big ole gun show that's coming to town.

    So what ya say?

  2. #2
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    I'd say don't necessarily plan on the gun show having great deals. A lot of vendors are overpriced and prey on the fact people think they are getting a good deal because it's a gun show. Shop on line at Buds or Gunbroker. Shop at a local shop. Compare, compare, compare. Also weigh in the factor of paying a few bucks more to a local shop that you can bring the gun back to if there is a problem versus a gun from Billy Bob's Gun Emporium located in the Anchorage that swings through town once a year for a show.

  3. #3
    DevilsJohnson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,373
    Hard tellin'

    Me..I like the gun shows but you might not see what you want to get. Or something you are not looking for or didn't know you just couldn't live without until you seen it. Impulse shopping when it comes to gun purchase is not a great idea. Unless you plan on some big ol' collection of guns like many want but no one really needs

    If you are tool shopping find what you want and don't let the new shiny "good lord look at that gun" sway you. Most of those All the bells and whistles guns are more than anyone outside of some movie guy will ever need. They sure are neat looking though.

  4. #4
    Yjeepin's Avatar
    Yjeepin is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    32
    Some good advice Todd thanks, didn't really consider that. The guy at Gander was very informative and patient. I was amazed on how he took time with me to help me decide on what fits me. He had some personal opinions too but that was cool. Thing is I hate salesman, can't stand to even look at them. So either he was sincere or the best I've ever come across.

    Anywho, I did get good feeling that if I bought there they would take care of me in the future if anything ever came up.

  5. #5
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Do you have a local shop as well or just a big chain store? The mom and pops are sometimes the best, especially when it comes to service.

  6. #6
    DevilsJohnson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Yjeepin View Post
    Some good advice Todd thanks, didn't really consider that. The guy at Gander was very informative and patient. I was amazed on how he took time with me to help me decide on what fits me. He had some personal opinions too but that was cool. Thing is I hate salesman, can't stand to even look at them. So either he was sincere or the best I've ever come across.

    Anywho, I did get good feeling that if I bought there they would take care of me in the future if anything ever came up.
    It's really good to be able to build a personal relationship with a shop owner if you have one around that can make you feel comfortable. This is something that will pay off in more ways than one over time. Something to think about when you are making your choice. I have a local guy that I can order from and will even let me ship to him and not charge me to use his FFL to ship to like many will. He tells me that I have been a customer if his for years and he knows that I will go to him before I go anywhere. I but a lot of supplies and ammo off him too.

  7. #7
    tekhead1219's Avatar
    tekhead1219 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    1,750
    Remember to add about $50.00 to whatever price you see on gunbroker and then compare it to the local price. Typically it'll be a $25.00 shipping charge + a $25.00 (usually) transfer fee so it can be shipped to an FFL holder. just my .02.

  8. #8
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhead1219 View Post
    Remember to add about $50.00 to whatever price you see on gunbroker and then compare it to the local price. Typically it'll be a $25.00 shipping charge + a $25.00 (usually) transfer fee so it can be shipped to an FFL holder. just my .02.
    Best to call shops about FFL fees before you buy online. We have some in the area as high as $40.

  9. #9
    tekhead1219's Avatar
    tekhead1219 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    1,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Best to call shops about FFL fees before you buy online. We have some in the area as high as $40.
    +1...just wanted to make him aware of the additional cost associated with buying on line.
    $40.00...wow, highest I was quoted was $35.00.

  10. #10
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhead1219 View Post
    +1...just wanted to make him aware of the additional cost associated with buying on line.
    $40.00...wow, highest I was quoted was $35.00.
    Yup, $40. I guess they figure they will get something out of you since you're not buying a gun from them. I obviously did not use them as my FFL for the guns I ordered on-line.

    So to the OP, long story short, take the local price of the gun and add your sales tax. Compare that price to the price of a gun online with shipping and FFL fees added. The only non-tangible is the fact of building a relationship with a local store, which may pay off down the road. See which way you come out better. If you want to hit the gun show still, at least you know what you'd expect to be paying and won't be going in blind.

  11. #11
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Best to call shops about FFL fees before you buy online. We have some in the area as high as $40.
    With moving to Colorado, I expected the dealers to be happy to do FFL transfers (more gun friendly state). In Iowa, it was pretty much $25 everywhere, and that was fine with me. I have checked every local shop here, and there's only two that will do a transfer, and it's $40. The others (and even the ones that currently do it are thinking about it) say that if they can get/sell the gun, then they will not do the transfer.

    I'm going to have to go further away in surrounding towns and see what these shops charge, because in my opinion, the best deals are to be found online (atleast from my experiences).

    I voted buy online (if your FFL fees aren't outrageous).

    -Jeff-

  12. #12
    Wyatt's Avatar
    Wyatt is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Naked City
    Posts
    713
    In answer to the original posted question I think the answer is to over-pay so you don't have to wait a few days.


    Beefy: $40 for a transfer isn't so bad from where I'm sitting. Most shops out here in Cali don't seem to want to do it for <$100. Essentially they want you to buy the gun from them. And since there are relatively few FFL's within any reasonable driving distance there is very little competition so prices are high.

    On the one hand I understand why. If I'm a retailer in any other business my feeling would be if you don't want to pay my price you are free to go buy somewhere else but I shouldn't be forced to help you buy elsewhere. The problem with this is that guns specifically are so highly regulated that a local FFL has to help you by law. That being the case there shoud be some reasonable limits on what they should be able to charge you. State law does put reasonable limits on PP transfers etc., but not on commercial gun sales.

  13. #13
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Beefy: $40 for a transfer isn't so bad from where I'm sitting. Most shops out here in Cali don't seem to want to do it for <$100. Essentially they want you to buy the gun from them. And since there are relatively few FFL's within any reasonable driving distance there is very little competition so prices are high.
    That's why I didn't move to California! An FFL transfer charge of $40 is outrageous for what I'm used to, and is certainly outrageous compared to what I was expecting in a much more gun friendly state. There has to be a dealer that's not too far from me that will do a cheaper transfer. I'm hoping I just haven't found it yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt
    On the one hand I understand why. If I'm a retailer in any other business my feeling would be if you don't want to pay my price you are free to go buy somewhere else but I shouldn't be forced to help you buy elsewhere. The problem with this is that guns specifically are so highly regulated that a local FFL has to help you by law. That being the case there shoud be some reasonable limits on what they should be able to charge you. State law does put reasonable limits on PP transfers etc., but not on commercial gun sales.
    I definitely understand the reasoning behind a high transfer cost, or not doing it at all. That being said, they still make money. Besides that, if a dealer is going to charge me $40, or not do a transfer for me at all, then they won't get any of my business, except one which has the nicest range in the area. The only business they get from me is my payment for range time. They won't get any money from me for ammo, guns, holsters, targets, or anything else for that matter. Just my .02

    -Jeff-

  14. #14
    tekhead1219's Avatar
    tekhead1219 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    1,750
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilsJohnson View Post
    It's really good to be able to build a personal relationship with a shop owner if you have one around that can make you feel comfortable.
    +1...typically if I'm only going to save up to $25.00, I'm going to buy local. Actually, the only gun I bought online was because I wanted to prove a point to the owner of the shop I typically buy at. Bought an XD 45 Compact from gun broker, paid the shipping and FFL fees and still saved $75.00 over what it would've cost me at his place. I've had no more issues with over priced items. He gives me a price and it's always in line what I can find online (not counting sales tax but I can't blame that on him) so I usually end up buying from him. Keeps us both happy.

  15. #15
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhead1219 View Post
    Actually, the only gun I bought online was because I wanted to prove a point to the owner of the shop I typically buy at. Bought an XD 45 Compact from gun broker, paid the shipping and FFL fees and still saved $75.00 over what it would've cost me at his place.
    That was exactly the case with both of my XDs purchased while I was living in Iowa. I bought them both on gunbroker, and even after the FFL and shipping fees, I saved over $100.

    -Jeff-

  16. #16
    mikej997 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Durango, Colorado
    Posts
    162
    I had to say online. I am waiting on my rifle I purchased on Gunbroker.com. I managed to find one with free shipping and a good price. I also found alocal FFL holde that I am shipping to that only charges $20 for the service. I could not find the rifle locally and the local price was higher. I think in the end this will end up being cheaper and quicker than the current 16 to 20 week backorder for my new Rock River! If this goes smoothly, I will probably buy online again. I guess we will see in a week!

  17. #17
    SuckLead's Avatar
    SuckLead is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,353
    1. You can count on prices at gun shows especially to go through the roof. So unless you want to take out a second mortgage to buy an AR15, I'd let it go all together.

    2. Check your HRs that are up that Barry will vote on. At least one of them does not have a grandfather clause. I've not finished re-reading the other two, mostly because I'm already on the verge of vomitting.

    This could very well be a much worse four years than people can ever imagine.

  18. #18
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    I would go to Gallery of Guns and see what three vendors in my zip or adjacent Zip code areas would charge for what I want to buy. Then I would go ask my friend and neighbor that is in the business to order it for me.

    http://www.galleryofguns.com/#

    Good luck

  19. #19
    Ram Rod's Avatar
    Ram Rod is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Washington county, arkansas
    Posts
    1,026
    Buy now. Prices and availability may be out the window by next week.

  20. #20
    Yjeepin's Avatar
    Yjeepin is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    32
    Thanks guys... I couldn't wait so I bought it from Gander. Friend of mine mentioned the gun show prices would skyrocket and I kinda agree. Good news is Gander gave me 50bucks off on an XD40.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

delayed gun purchase

,

gun purchase delayed

,

why would a gun purchase be delayed

Click on a term to search for related topics.