Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33
  1. #21
    john doe. is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,850
    Nice one OJ. I wish we had more docs like you that were more vocal about this.

  2. #22
    Arcus is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    34
    [Nerd mode]
    While this is a forum devoted primarily to the exercise of the 2nd Amendment, there's another that precedes it. I will say as a physician, I didn't laugh at the original post and easily identify with OJ's frustration with the use of medical (lies, damn lies and) statistics in the public press. But, when it comes to sarcasm and what are viewed by some as impolitic comments, I live in a glass house.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    To Fred40 and OJ:
    Nobody's going to "register" doctors because of deaths that happen when patients are in doctors' care.
    I and every practicing physician in the country have a very permanent record of my education, professional certifications, malpractice judgements, and disciplinary actions: National Practioner Data Bank
    Also, check out your docs here: Docfinder, and here: Federation of State Medical Boards. Registration with the FSMB is effectively mandatory in the USA.
    [/Nerd mode]

    [Smartass mode]
    I pass gas for a living - unless you're with an HMO...
    HMO approved general anesthetic:

    [/Smartass mode]

  3. #23
    john doe. is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcus View Post
    [Nerd mode]
    While this is a forum devoted primarily to the exercise of the 2nd Amendment, there's another that precedes it. I will say as a physician, I didn't laugh at the original post and easily identify with OJ's frustration with the use of medical (lies, damn lies and) statistics in the public press. But, when it comes to sarcasm and what are viewed by some as impolitic comments, I live in a glass house.


    I and every practicing physician in the country have a very permanent record of my education, professional certifications, malpractice judgements, and disciplinary actions: National Practioner Data Bank
    Also, check out your docs here: Docfinder, and here: Federation of State Medical Boards. Registration with the FSMB is effectively mandatory in the USA.
    [/Nerd mode]

    [Smartass mode]
    I pass gas for a living - unless you're with an HMO...
    HMO approved general anesthetic:

    [/Smartass mode]
    You're my favorite kinda doc... at least if I don't throw up my lungs after coming back into the half way awake world. Which I haven't in the last few operations (Hurled). The first operation sucked. It was bad enough that I had a pulminary embolism a few years before, now I'm hurling my lungs out.

  4. #24
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    While I appreciate OJ's concerns about the post, I don't really see a problem with a clearly satirical post in the Sound Off subforum. If we locked or deleted everything here that could potentially offend some members, well, we'd have to delete the whole Sound Off section.

    I think the point about people seeing doctors because they are already sick makes the original post pretty irrelevant politically, but it is satire, after all, and not meant as a serious point for argument.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  5. #25
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,300
    Thank you, Mike.

    I wish that all you MDs would stop quoting me out of context, too.
    My comment about "registering" doctors was a satiric comment on the metaphor, satire, and irony of the original joke (which, by the way, was not posted by me).

    Lighten up, guys.

  6. #26
    submoa is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by OJ View Post
    This very offensive thread/post is like the bad penny that just keeps showing up and won't go away and die the natural death it should.
    Jokes circulate on the internet because of their noteriety. Voicing outrage and adding responses to this thread might yield results opposite to what you seek.

    It is the nature of humor that not everyone will find everything funny. Some people might even get offended by some jokes. But why take anything seriously in a forum called the "Offbeat Area?"

    Its more fun to share a drink with Hawkeye Pierce and BJ Hunnicut than Charles Emerson Winchester III.

  7. #27
    Arcus is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    34

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    Thank you, Mike.

    I wish that all you MDs would stop quoting me out of context, too.
    My comment about "registering" doctors was a satiric comment on the metaphor, satire, and irony of the original joke (which, by the way, was not posted by me).

    Lighten up, guys.
    My humble apologies. I should probably assume everything is at the very least tongue-in-cheek in this subforum.

  8. #28
    Arcus is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by submoa View Post
    Jokes circulate on the internet because of their noteriety. Voicing outrage and adding responses to this thread might yield results opposite to what you seek.

    It is the nature of humor that not everyone will find everything funny. Some people might even get offended by some jokes. But why take anything seriously in a forum called the "Offbeat Area?"

    Its more fun to share a drink with Hawkeye Pierce and BJ Hunnicut than Charles Emerson Winchester III.
    Personally, I like my martinis dry & dirty. And in case you think we can't make fun of ourselves, here's a couple of wiseass British anaesthetists on stage: Anaesthetist's Hymn It's LOL funny if you work in the OR environment, but good nonetheless.

  9. #29
    Arcus is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by tnoisaw View Post
    You're my favorite kinda doc... at least if I don't throw up my lungs after coming back into the half way awake world. Which I haven't in the last few operations (Hurled). The first operation sucked. It was bad enough that I had a pulminary embolism a few years before, now I'm hurling my lungs out.
    If you want more info re. the various proemetic (puke) and antiemetic (antipuke) factors and drugs of post-op nausea/vomiting I'll give ya the run down. There's been good progress over the last decade in identifying the components on both sides in addition to the antiemetic drugs we already had.

  10. #30
    OJ
    OJ is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    87

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    While I appreciate OJ's concerns about the post, I don't really see a problem with a clearly satirical post in the Sound Off subforum. If we locked or deleted everything here that could potentially offend some members, well, we'd have to delete the whole Sound Off section.

    I think the point about people seeing doctors because they are already sick makes the original post pretty irrelevant politically, but it is satire, after all, and not meant as a serious point for argument.
    From the dictionary, we get the following definitions of satire:

    1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
    2. a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
    3. a literary genre comprising such compositions.


    That identical post has been around for several years and, on other forums, blocked - it has no redeeming value and, as I pointed out, those figures have never been posted by HHS regarding deaths due to doctors as was claimed in the post and is blatantly BS.

    However, it clearly has the approval of the administration here and I think I am not compatible with that kind of thinking and will withdraw from this forum. I am more interested in sharing information about technical stuff and most of the threads I see look more social, at best, and most don't give formal approval of this kind of "satire" nonsense.

    So Long

  11. #31
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,300
    OJ doesn't get it, does he?
    The satire was about gun control, not doctors.

    Too bad...it's never nice to lose a correspondent. Especially one who likes scrub jays and squirrels.

  12. #32
    submoa is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    OJ doesn't get it, does he?
    There is the possibility we may have been had by a master of subtlety and irony. For example, there is the irony inherent in his sig line:

    Quote Originally Posted by OJ View Post
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap - life is expensive.
    A possible objective of the protest could be to take the controversy to the next level of 1st amendment debate in an obviously humor oriented subforum. Getting folks riled up with a hoax could be seen as infinitely more amusing than the original post.

    If this is true, well done!

  13. #33
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Well, I'm sorry to see OJ go over something so petty, but perhaps the answer for a lack of a sense of humor is to avoid subforums that are primarily about humor. I've seen this same post on several other forums, and never saw it locked, nor have I seen anyone get all offended by it.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

comparing medical malpractice lawsuits to accidental gun deaths

,

satire doctors vs guns

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1