Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1. #1
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0

    Exclamation Video ... Please Watch

    Apparently the band Five For Fighting is generously donating $.40 to Autism Speaks each time this video is viewed. The funding goes toward research studies to help find a cure. When you have a moment, please visit this link http://www.whatkindofworlddoyouwant....view/id/408214 to watch the video. They are aiming for 10,000 hits, but hopefully we can get more.

    As many of you know, my oldest son has Autism, so this is something that really hits close to home. So, if you can, please take a moment to watch the video/slide show. You'll be helping out a great cause and may even learn something new.

  2. #2
    Wyatt's Avatar
    Wyatt is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Naked City
    Posts
    713
    Wow, very emotional and inspiring video. I've already passed it on to everyone in my address book. With power of the internet maybe we can raise some serious $$$ today.
    Last edited by Wyatt; 02-28-2008 at 10:10 AM.

  3. #3
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Wow, very emotional and inspiring video. I've already passed it on to everyone in my address book. With power of the internet maybe we can raise some serious $$$ today.
    Thanks Wyatt!

  4. #4
    Fred40 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    303
    Done!

    Those are some frightening statistics. Is there an increase in Autism? Or simply a broadening on the criteria for diagnosis?

  5. #5
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred40 View Post
    Done!
    Thanks! I appreciate it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred40 View Post
    Those are some frightening statistics.
    They are very frightening statistics! The fact that this is bigger than AIDS and Cancer combined should have people concerned. But since we, the Autism community, don't have a Lance Armstrong, Oprah, or some other real celebrity (Jenny McCarthy touting how a GFCF diet helped her child with Autism doesn't count IMO) in our corner, America's awareness is low since it seems we need big-name celebrities to tell us what needs to be done. It saddens me that bigger household names like Dan Marino and Doug Flutie (both have sons with Autism) aren't more vocal about it. Yes, they have foundations, but I'd be willing to bet that 99% of the population doesn't even know about them. And don't even get me started on John Travolta who's son Jett is thought to have Autism by numerous experts, but because of Travolta's religion, they adamantly deny Jett has a problem and he could fix himself if he wanted to.

    It also doesn't help when doctors tell parents to wait on getting their kids checked when they're not talking or missing milestones (happened to us, but we politely told the doctor off and got our son checked out anyway). Then they adamantly deny that vaccines have nothing to do with Autism and want to shoot up kids with everything known to man. I'm not saying that the vaccines directly cause the disease, but I do believe that these kids are genetically predispositioned to get it and the drugs act like a trigger in some cases. Come on, does a 2 hour old baby need to have the Hepatitis B shot? Unless the kid is having sex in the nursery with the other newborns or shooting up heroin, I don't think so. But there we are, shooting up our kids with all kids of crap (especially drugs with Thimerosal, which only uses one of the most toxic substances on the planet, Mercury, as a preservative) because the drug companies and doctors tell us we need to. Did you know that most kids don't even need the 2nd MMR booster? In over 95% of the cases, kid have built up enough immunity and all it takes is a simple blood test to determine it? But since it's more cost effective and quicker to just shoot the kids up with the crap, the doctors and drug companies have made it standard practice. I guess what I'm trying to say is we all need to be better informed, especially where our children are concerned. Sorry for the rant. Besides guns, this is one subject I have become very passionate about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred40 View Post
    Is there an increase in Autism? Or simply a broadening on the criteria for diagnosis?
    Depends who you talk to. Parents and people who work with these kids daily like Occupational Therapists, Speech Therapists, Applied Behavioral Consultants, Special Ed teachers, and Dr.'s who specialize in the treatment of Autism (called DAN Doctors) say there is an increase. People who have jobs or businesses that can be negatively impacted by an increase (CDC, drug manufacturers, insurance companies, general practice doctors, etc.) downplay the increase and say it's a broadening of criteria and just more people are getting diagnosed. I have even heard a couple sickening reports of people claiming that parents try to get their kids diagnosed because it's "trendy". Our county opened up 6 new Autism preschools this year alone. Tell me there's not an epidemic.
    Last edited by Todd; 03-07-2008 at 10:00 AM.

  6. #6
    Baldy's Avatar
    Baldy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Port St.John,FL.
    Posts
    6,740

    Thumbs up

    One of my wifes good friends has two young sons with it and my wife works in a school that has classes for children with it. So we are fairly up on it so far as being aware of the problem. I'll send it out to others.

  7. #7
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
    One of my wifes good friends has two young sons with it and my wife works in a school that has classes for children with it. So we are fairly up on it so far as being aware of the problem. I'll send it out to others.
    Thanks Badly.

    If you wouldn't mind, can you PM the name of the school you wife is at? We're trying to to narrow down areas in Brevard to move back to based on the schools and the more inside info we have, the better.

  8. #8
    Wyatt's Avatar
    Wyatt is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Naked City
    Posts
    713
    Todd, for those of us who may be in the position to make a small donation, do you have a link to where money would best be sent? Would it be preferred to donate to a local organization or at the national level?

  9. #9
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Todd, for those of us who may be in the position to make a small donation, do you have a link to where money would best be sent? Would it be preferred to donate to a local organization or at the national level?
    IMO, the national organizations do a bit more for research and putting together conferences bringing together some of the "pioneers" in the field , so that's where my donations go. I'd suggest either the Autism Society of America http://www.autism-society.org or Autism Speaks http://www.autismspeaks.org/

    But there are many fine local organizations if you more comfortable keeping your money in the community. Any little bit helps.

  10. #10
    Wandering Man's Avatar
    Wandering Man is online now GM HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Coastal Bend, TX
    Posts
    2,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Thanks! I appreciate it!



    They are very frightening statistics! The fact that this is bigger than AIDS and Cancer combined should have people concerned. But since we, the Autism community, don't have a Lance Armstrong, Oprah, or some other real celebrity (Jenny McCarthy touting how a GFCF diet helped her child with Autism doesn't count IMO) in our corner, America's awareness is low since it seems we need big-name celebrities to tell us what needs to be done. It saddens me that bigger household names like Dan Marino and Doug Flutie (both have sons with Autism) aren't more vocal about it. Yes, they have foundations, but I'd be willing to bet that 99% of the population doesn't even know about them. And don't even get me started on John Travolta who's son Jett is thought to have Autism by numerous experts, but because of Travolta's religion, they adamantly deny Jett has a problem and he could fix himself if he wanted to.

    It also doesn't help when doctors tell parents to wait on getting their kids checked when they're not talking or missing milestones (happened to us, but we politely told the doctor off and got our son checked out anyway). Then they adamantly deny that vaccines have nothing to do with Autism and want to shoot up kids with everything known to man. I'm not saying that the vaccines directly cause the disease, but I do believe that these kids are genetically predispositioned to get it and the drugs act like a trigger in some cases. Come on, does a 2 hour old baby need to have the Hepatitis B shot? Unless the kid is having sex in the nursery with the other newborns or shooting up heroin, I don't think so. But there we are, shooting up our kids with all kids of crap (especially drugs with Thimerosal, which only uses one of the most toxic substances on the planet, Mercury, as a preservative) because the drug companies and doctors tell us we need to. Did you know that most kids don't even need the 2nd MMR booster? In over 95% of the cases, kid have built up enough immunity and all it takes is a simple blood test to determine it? But since it's more cost effective and quicker to just shoot the kids up with the crap (again, Thimerosal) the doctors and drug companies have made it standard practice. I guess what I'm trying to say is we all need to be better informed, especially where our children are concerned. Sorry for the rant. Besides guns, this is one subject I have become very passionate about.



    Depends who you talk to. Parents and people who work with these kids daily like Occupational Therapists, Speech Therapists, Applied Behavioral Consultants, Special Ed teachers, and Dr.'s who specialize in the treatment of Autism (called DAN Doctors) say there is an increase. People who have jobs or businesses that can be negatively impacted by an increase (CDC, drug manufacturers, insurance companies, general practice doctors, etc.) downplay the increase and say it's a broadening of criteria and just more people are getting diagnosed. I have even heard a couple sickening reports of people claiming that parents try to get their kids diagnosed because it's "trendy". Our county opened up 6 new Autism preschools this year alone. Tell me there's not an epidemic.

    Worth repeating!

    WM
    Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

  11. #11
    john doe. is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,850
    WOW! I had no idea of how many kids are affected. It said four times more boys are diagnosed, does this mean gilrs are mis-diagnosed?

    You and your family are in my prayers.

  12. #12
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tnoisaw View Post
    WOW! I had no idea of how many kids are affected. It said four times more boys are diagnosed, does this mean gilrs are mis-diagnosed?

    You and your family are in my prayers.
    The numbers are pretty scary when you think about it. No misdiagnoses. It's definitely way more prevalent in boys. My son has had 1 female classmate in 2 1/2 years. Which is why I hold to the idea of a genetic predisposition and then an outside trigger; be it vaccines or something environmental.

  13. #13
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Man View Post
    Worth repeating!

    WM
    I'll repeat it all day, every day, to anyone who will listen.

  14. #14
    john doe. is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,850
    I lie awake last night thinking about you and people like you who are thrown into these kind of situations. What I know is that God does not give us these kind of problems but allows this to happen. He will not allow anything to happen to anyone unless he knows they could handle it (this is biblical). Some people fail on that.

    In your case it is obvious that God was right again and that you’ve not only took the ball but are going for a touchdown and then intend to win the Superbowl. That my friend, says much about you as a person and I must give you a cyber handshake and hug to you and your family for taking this awesome responsibility and doing anything within your means to do what ever you can to help not only your son, but the sons and daughters of others.

  15. #15
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tnoisaw View Post
    I lie awake last night thinking about you and people like you who are thrown into these kind of situations. What I know is that God does not give us these kind of problems but allows this to happen. He will not allow anything to happen to anyone unless he knows they could handle it (this is biblical). Some people fail on that.

    In your case it is obvious that God was right again and that you’ve not only took the ball but are going for a touchdown and then intend to win the Superbowl. That my friend, says much about you as a person and I must give you a cyber handshake and hug to you and your family for taking this awesome responsibility and doing anything within your means to do what ever you can to help not only your son, but the sons and daughters of others.
    Thanks for the kind words. Although I'm a bit shaken that you were lying awake in bed thinking about me.

  16. #16
    john doe. is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. Although I'm a bit shaken that you were lying awake in bed thinking about me.

  17. #17
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Had to give this one a bump.

  18. #18
    Wyatt's Avatar
    Wyatt is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Naked City
    Posts
    713
    Just wanted to mention that I was watching the golf tournment today and they showed a close-up of Ernie Els' bag with "Autism Speaks" prominently stitched on the side. And the announcers gave a mention to the organization. He's a big name and I thought that was very cool of him to promote something other than a paying sponsor. Here's the website:

    http://www.autismspeaks.org/

    There is some stuff on the website about vaccines as you were saying, Todd.

  19. #19
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Just wanted to mention that I was watching the golf tournment today and they showed a close-up of Ernie Els' bag with "Autism Speaks" prominently stitched on the side. And the announcers gave a mention to the organization. He's a big name and I thought that was very cool of him to promote something other than a paying sponsor. Here's the website:

    http://www.autismspeaks.org/

    There is some stuff on the website about vaccines as you were saying, Todd.
    That's great to hear! I always liked that Ernie.

    Here's another article about the vaccines case the parents won. http://www.wsbtv.com/news/15505545/detail.html

  20. #20
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Apparently the band Five For Fighting is generously donating $.40 to Autism Speaks each time this video is viewed. The funding goes toward research studies to help find a cure. When you have a moment, please visit this link http://www.whatkindofworlddoyouwant....view/id/408214 to watch the video. They are aiming for 10,000 hits, but hopefully we can get more.

    As many of you know, my oldest son has Autism, so this is something that really hits close to home. So, if you can, please take a moment to watch the video/slide show. You'll be helping out a great cause and may even learn something new.
    Todd,
    If 10,000 is what you were after you have achieved it.

    I just watched again and copied the number of views:

    Views: 2444983

    How long does this continue? And do you know if repeat viewings count or are they tracking who views?


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1