Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    1,083

    What I've learned on HGF

    Today while I was cleaning my XD, I was pondering on what I've learned since I joined this forum. Being that I'm still young and have a lot of growing up to do, I like to sit down on occasion and look back on progress I've made in different areas. So I figured I'd go over what I've learned here.

    1. Ballistics...obviously, a key subject for SD. Penetration levels, expansion, causes for unexpanding HPs, etc.

    2. Marksmanship, tactics, mindset, and the rest that Mike loves to highlight are more important than what gun you carry, what brand/weight bullet you use, and how big and wide the bullet is.

    3. Desert Eagles are for handgun enthusiasts/collectors, and for guys with small penises. They are too large for CC, too expensive to plink with, inferior to a shotgun or rifle for HD, and generally speaking are impractical to own.

    4. Shotguns are not rifles...so don't try to make them one.

    5. Tactical accessories, while fun to own, don't make you a better shooter. I learned my lesson with the reflex sights on the .22...the iron sights are more reliable, won't break, and take a true marksman to use well. But I'm still putting a sidesaddle and mag extension on the shotgun when I get it.

    6. Being able to rapidly hit COM in a SD situation is more important than ballistics...a 9mm that hits is superior to a .45 that misses. It's also more important than being able to have 2" groupings at 7 yards.

    7. Suppressors aren't worth the time and money.

    8. AR-15s aren't for hunting.

    9. Starting slow and correctly is important. Bad habits are hard to break.

    10. In a HD situation, sneaking around looking for someone isn't the smartest thing to do. Waiting and holding the element of surprise for yourself is better.

    11. If ever attacked, one should be able to draw and fire as quickly as possible. Time taken to (or forgetting to) rack the slide can cost you.

    12. Pistol grips on shotguns are impractical unless you're in the military or hunting turkey.

    13. Thigh holsters look ridiculous.

    14. One should shoot defensively to stop, not to wound or kill.

    15. Never draw unless you're justified in pulling the trigger, and are willing to do so.

    I think I could list a few more, but those are the most important.

  2. #2
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    You are making great progress young man.

    Except:

    The Boys in Georgia and Alabama will run you out of the woods if you show up with a pistol grip shotgun for a Turkey hunt.

    Enjoy but stay safe.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Grande Pradera, TX
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by fivehourfrenzy View Post
    13. Thigh holsters look ridiculous.
    ... unless you're Angelina Jolie.

    Quote Originally Posted by fivehourfrenzy View Post
    15. Never draw unless you're justified in pulling the trigger, and are willing to do so.
    And this is why arguments that say a trigger job is bad on a carry gun are bogus. A LEO may draw and aim at a suspect to perform an arrest. The rest of us will only draw and aim when you have to shoot to save your life.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by propellerhead View Post
    And this is why arguments that say a trigger job is bad on a carry gun are bogus. A LEO may draw and aim at a suspect to perform an arrest. The rest of us will only draw and aim when you have to shoot to save your life.
    Yeah, I get what you're saying. It's not like you'll draw when attacked and blame the trigger on a negligent discharge. If you had the gun out in the first place, you should be justified in shooting someone.

  5. #5
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by propellerhead View Post
    And this is why arguments that say a trigger job is bad on a carry gun are bogus. A LEO may draw and aim at a suspect to perform an arrest. The rest of us will only draw and aim when you have to shoot to save your life.
    19 times in 20, according to studies (John Lott, Gary Kleck, etc.), a defensive handgun produced by a civilian will not be fired. The attacker will flee or be held for the police. We should not assume that just because our gun comes out of the holster that we will be firing it. The majority of the time it will not be fired, and simply returned to the holster. This is a good thing.

    ARs are good for varmint hunting/shooting, at least the kind where you sit in one spot for hours and shoot a lot at distant little critters. I'm not crazy about them for carrying while walking, though, because the protruding pistol grip and magazine, along with the high sights, are rather awkward after an hour or two.

    Thigh holsters not only look ridiculous, they are uncomfortable if you have to walk any distance in them.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  6. #6
    niadhf's Avatar
    niadhf is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rural New York
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by propellerhead View Post
    ... unless you're Angelina Jolie.



    um personally i can't think of anything that WOULDN'T look good in this case. Some things that look better, but i digress.

    FHF - it is nice to see you internalizing info.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    ARs are good for varmint hunting/shooting, at least the kind where you sit in one spot for hours and shoot a lot at distant little critters. I'm not crazy about them for carrying while walking, though, because the protruding pistol grip and magazine, along with the high sights, are rather awkward after an hour or two.
    I was planning on using them for deer...not good for deer.

    Quote Originally Posted by niadhf View Post
    FHF - it is nice to see you internalizing info.
    Well, I do like to sit down and think about what I've learned. It seems that every day I wake up and go through the motions, everyone seems a bit different. And even over the course of a week, someone who I had a pretty full impression of has completely changed into something different, whether it be for the best or for the worst. And I'm realizing that it's not everyone else that's changing, it's me. I'm constantly taking in new ideas and letting them play a role in who I am, and consequently, I look at things differently. No, the yellow paint on the road doesn't start to turn purple, but some girl I thought I liked might start to seem not all that appealing, or some guy I thought was really out there might start to seem pretty down to earth. Everyone goes through changes, but lately it's been taking place so quickly.

  8. #8
    submoa is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    Thigh holsters not only look ridiculous, they are uncomfortable if you have to walk any distance in them.
    +1

    They are also f**king uncomfortable for the guy on the bench next to you.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by submoa View Post
    +1

    They are also f**king uncomfortable for the guy on the bench next to you.
    If I was in the woods in full camo, rifle, and was stalking a deer, a thigh holster wouldn't look that silly. But the one time I saw someone with a thigh holster was when I was taking my CCDW class. Some dude rolled in 20 minutes late with his g/f and was wearing a thigh holster with a pair of jeans and a jacket. Needless to say, he looked like a complete idiot.

  10. #10
    submoa is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by fivehourfrenzy View Post
    If I was in the woods in full camo, rifle, and was stalking a deer, a thigh holster wouldn't look that silly. But the one time I saw someone with a thigh holster was when I was taking my CCDW class. Some dude rolled in 20 minutes late with his g/f and was wearing a thigh holster with a pair of jeans and a jacket. Needless to say, he looked like a complete idiot.
    Point missed. Spend 6 hours in a packed non-air conditioned AN2 knee to cheek with local thigh-holstered teenaged gunfighers. Understand what f**king uncomfortable means.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by submoa View Post
    Point missed. Spend 6 hours in a packed non-air conditioned AN2 knee to cheek with local thigh-holstered teenaged gunfighers. Understand what f**king uncomfortable means.
    Point missed...spend 6 hours in an unpacked air conditioned room with nobody around while I go romping through the woods by myself with a thigh holster. I get what you're saying...I'd rather have an OWB holster than a thigh holster any day.

  12. #12
    khellandros66 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    74
    Major props for this thread w/ some good chuckles too.

    I have learned that maturity and respect for the responsiblity we few choose to endure is something no one can explain but only in experience.

    Changes, I have become vastly more patient. Driving, shopping etc.

    I sleep much more soundly

    Firearm is an extension of willpower, and good will power requires the choice to act and act on smart choices.

    Gotta hand to all here that are so so dedicated to the rights but also to learners and treating every even us new guys with respect. Something not common to many forums.

    Cheers

    Bobby

  13. #13
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by submoa View Post
    +1

    They are also f**king uncomfortable for the guy on the bench next to you.
    Or the guys next to you on a Blackhawk or Chinook.

    They also make the already-cramped seat of a HMMWV much worse, unless you're a gunner - where their main purpose is to get tangled up with the strap seat. Even in a CUCV, which is basically just an old Blazer, they make getting past the steering wheel difficult when getting in or out of the truck.

    Additionally, they serve to wear a nice hole in your thigh when you walk a few miles in one.

    My only explanation for the popularity of these things is Hollywood and the Tactical Tough Guys in the silly gun rags. And if I saw someone wearing one while hunting, I would probably laugh so hard I'd scare away the deer for a five-mile radius. No doubt said hunter would also be armed with an AR15, because you have to dress like the point man on a SWAT team to shoot a herbivore.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    1,083
    I'll be dressed like the shotgunner. Not sure where exactly that falls in proper termage.

  15. #15
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    The shotgunner's job is just to breach the entryway. He normally then falls back to an M4 or similar.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  16. #16
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by khellandros66 View Post
    Gotta hand to all here that are so so dedicated to the rights but also to learners and treating every even us new guys with respect. Something not common to many forums.

    Cheers

    Bobby
    Well said, and I must completely agree with you. Having not even been a member of this forum very long, I have learned SO much, and it seems as though everyone here is willing to share information, teach and learn all at them same time. Something that is priceless in a forum, and is the reason I will not be going anywhere. This is a GREAT place for all those out there, learners and the experienced alike.

    -Jeff-

  17. #17
    gmaske's Avatar
    gmaske is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by fivehourfrenzy View Post
    Today while I was cleaning my XD, I was pondering on what I've learned since I joined this forum. Being that I'm still young and have a lot of growing up to do, I like to sit down on occasion and look back on progress I've made in different areas. So I figured I'd go over what I've learned here.

    1. Ballistics...obviously, a key subject for SD. Penetration levels, expansion, causes for unexpanding HPs, etc.

    2. Marksmanship, tactics, mindset, and the rest that Mike loves to highlight are more important than what gun you carry, what brand/weight bullet you use, and how big and wide the bullet is.

    3. Desert Eagles are for handgun enthusiasts/collectors, and for guys with small penises. They are too large for CC, too expensive to plink with, inferior to a shotgun or rifle for HD, and generally speaking are impractical to own.

    4. Shotguns are not rifles...so don't try to make them one.

    5. Tactical accessories, while fun to own, don't make you a better shooter. I learned my lesson with the reflex sights on the .22...the iron sights are more reliable, won't break, and take a true marksman to use well. But I'm still putting a sidesaddle and mag extension on the shotgun when I get it.

    6. Being able to rapidly hit COM in a SD situation is more important than ballistics...a 9mm that hits is superior to a .45 that misses. It's also more important than being able to have 2" groupings at 7 yards.

    7. Suppressors aren't worth the time and money.

    8. AR-15s aren't for hunting.

    9. Starting slow and correctly is important. Bad habits are hard to break.

    10. In a HD situation, sneaking around looking for someone isn't the smartest thing to do. Waiting and holding the element of surprise for yourself is better.

    11. If ever attacked, one should be able to draw and fire as quickly as possible. Time taken to (or forgetting to) rack the slide can cost you.

    12. Pistol grips on shotguns are impractical unless you're in the military or hunting turkey.

    13. Thigh holsters look ridiculous.

    14. One should shoot defensively to stop, not to wound or kill.

    15. Never draw unless you're justified in pulling the trigger, and are willing to do so.

    I think I could list a few more, but those are the most important.
    If you keep this up you'll do well in life.............................................. .. and probably end up a Republican

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    The shotgunner's job is just to breach the entryway. He normally then falls back to an M4 or similar.
    Well since I'm getting a shotgun and not an M4, I guess I'll just go door to door breaching entryways so the neighbors don't have to fumble for their keys to get in.

    Quote Originally Posted by gmaske View Post
    If you keep this up you'll do well in life.............................................. .. and probably end up a Republican
    I'm already a republican.

  19. #19
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Well, a shotgun has somewhat a different mission for an armed citizen versus a SWAT or military entry team.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    Well, a shotgun has somewhat a different mission for an armed citizen versus a SWAT or military entry team.
    Something like that. Whether it's blasting rabbits or home invaders, I don't think I'll be breaching any doors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1