Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 104
  1. #1
    john doe. is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,850

    McCain for president?

    Am I the only one who is perplexed and dismayed at Senator McCain being the top republican candidate? I thought republicans were suppose to be conservative... and least I was hoping so.

    Hopefully next Tuesday will turn things around.

    Iíll have a tuff time deciding between McCain, Clinton or Obama. There is not much difference and either one in office will make me VERY concerned of retaining my Constitutional rights in the near future.

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Senator McCain is pretty conservative on a lot of issues. However, he is wobbly on several very important (to me, at least) issues.

    1. He is against the First Amendment (see "Bipartisan Campaign Finance Reform Act," aka McCain-Feingold).
    2. He wants to "close the gun show loophole," which will lead to the elimination of private gun sales.
    3. He was co-sponsor of legislation granting amnesty to illegal aliens, which is doubly irritating since he is a senator from Arizona.
    4. He wants to continue the current less-than-intelligent prosecution of a perpetual, multiple-fronted "war on terrorism."

    Only in the latter of these four issues does he differ from Senator Clinton and Obama, though of course both of them would likely go much further on gun control. Sen. McCain would probably wait until his second term (assuming he got one and wasn't dead or senile) to pursue a serious gun control agenda.

    Mr. Giuliani will drop out of the race and endorse Senator McCain. Mr. Huckabee showed rather poorly in Florida, and has no money. Rep. Paul only garnered 3% of the vote in Florida, and never had a chance of gaining the nomination anyway.

    That leaves Senator McCain and Mr. Romney. The latter is very suspect on gun control, though slightly better than McCain on immigration, and has flip-flopped on a bunch of issues after he "saw the conservative light" (read: decided to run for national office). However, he claims to oppose McCain-Feingold, which is a good thing if he is being truthful. His position on the war is basically the same as Senator McCain's, though both are better than the present administration's, at least as I see it.

    Senator McCain has a lot of momentum going into Super Tuesday, and I'm not sure there's much real difference between he and Mr. Romney, anyway. I don't think I can be persuaded to vote for either of them. I didn't even bother to request a primary ballot for Super Tuesday, and if it's McCain versus Clinton or Obama, I will probably just abstain in the general election or vote for some wacky third party.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sarasota Fla / Huntersville N.C.
    Posts
    445
    Florida got rid of Rudy for you.
    Now it's up to others to get rid of McCain.

    AFS

  5. #4
    Shipwreck's Avatar
    Shipwreck is online now HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Beretta City, Texas
    Posts
    10,736
    I'll never vote for Mccain after that immigration debacle he tried to get thru....

    If he gets the nomination, I probably will not vote.

  6. #5
    MLB's Avatar
    MLB
    MLB is offline Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    971
    Not voting really isn't something I'd consider. At the very least, I'd like to oppose a Democratically controlled Legislative and Executive branch. Can you say to yourself that you have no preference between (say) McCain and Clinton/Obama?

  7. #6
    Shipwreck's Avatar
    Shipwreck is online now HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Beretta City, Texas
    Posts
    10,736
    Quote Originally Posted by MLB View Post
    Not voting really isn't something I'd consider. At the very least, I'd like to oppose a Democratically controlled Legislative and Executive branch. Can you say to yourself that you have no preference between (say) McCain and Clinton/Obama?
    I hear ya, but they both suck. And, Texas will go to the republicans anyway. So, yes, I probably will not vote. I can't vote for Mccain in good conscience.

  8. #7
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    I'll take my chances with whatever Republican gets the nod. I've never agreed with a candidate completely, but I'd feel better if McCain was in the White House than Obama or worse, the tag team, co-presidency of Bill and Hillary.

  9. #8
    spacedoggy's Avatar
    spacedoggy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Planet Zeon just outside of Tyler Texas
    Posts
    1,220
    If we end up with McCain we will lose the election because the conservative voters will stay home on election day and the Dems will win.

    He would really be a boring president.

  10. #9
    Ram Rod's Avatar
    Ram Rod is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Washington county, arkansas
    Posts
    1,026

  11. #10
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    Look out, I think I'm going to be sick.



  12. #11
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by spacedoggy View Post
    If we end up with McCain we will lose the election because the conservative voters will stay home on election day and the Dems will win.
    Just looking at this thread we can see some people abstaining. I simply won't vote for an authoritarian like Senator McCain, who would very much like to stomp out Amendments I, II and IV, wants to offer amnesty to law breakers, and would continue a bellicose foreign policy.

    I think McCain can pull a lot of independents and "centrists," though, and that might be enough to get him elected if he faces Senator Clinton, who is for some reason a much bigger bogeyman to conservatives than the far more liberal Senator Obama.

    He can do it without my vote, though.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  13. #12
    SuckLead's Avatar
    SuckLead is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,353
    Unfortunetly, as most elections go, you end up voting against someone or for the lesser of two evils.

    I was glad to see Edwards go. And Giuliani. Both of them make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Although with this election, my hair is probably going to just fall out. There isn't anyone running that I could feel completely good about voting for.

    It really is ashame that who runs comes down to money. It would be nice to see some regular joe in office.

  14. #13
    dourdave is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    63
    Amazing ! Why would any mature citizen not vote ? Amazing !

  15. #14
    john doe. is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,850
    Well, if it came down to McCain and whom ever, I would be forced to vote for McCain. Personally, I don't feel that not voting will prove anything. It will only help the candidate who I really don't want in. By not voting for someone who I really donít like but like more than the other moron will only give that other moron a vote advantage and that compounding by others like me can turn the tables on the lesser evil.

    Ever since I was old enough to vote for a president, I voted. I feel itís my responsibility to do so.

  16. #15
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by dourdave View Post
    Amazing ! Why would any mature citizen not vote ? Amazing !
    Several reasons:

    1. Because I am not brainwashed into believing that voting for someone who holds beliefs I oppose is somehow my "civic duty." A candidate must earn my vote, and because I value my vote, it is not something I just give away to someone merely because they are not quite as lousy as their opponent.

    2. I am extremely tired of voting for crappy GOP candidates, and if they lose a few times, maybe they will start putting up better candidates. What we're doing now is like buying crappy food over and over again, but expecting that someday the restaurant will miraculously offer a gourmet meal. Without some kind of pressure they understand - like losing elections - the GOP will continue to serve up these awful candidates.

    3. A vote for the lesser of two evils is still a vote for evil. I realize that every election is a qualified disaster, and that compromise in often necessary on some issues. However, there are some things I am unwilling to compromise, especially when it comes to the Bill of Rights, which Senators McCain, Clinton, and Obama have all busied themselves viciously attacking.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  17. #16
    dourdave is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    63
    Thanks for your explanation, Mike.

    I too would like a Government that thinks like I do. Unfortunately, most people think differently. Nevertheless, being part of "something" is one of the best ways to influence "it's" actions.

    Thank you for serving your Country, and me, so that we may differ in the role of the people with respect to the choices of their Government.

    Dave

  18. #17
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by dourdave View Post
    I too would like a Government that thinks like I do. Unfortunately, most people think differently. Nevertheless, being part of "something" is one of the best ways to influence "it's" actions.
    I agree completely. That's why I am registered as a Republican. But I didn't even request a Super Tuesday primary ballot because all the GOP candidates completely suck.

    Maybe you and I should both run for office - that's really being part of the problem!

    Thank you for serving your Country, and me, so that we may differ in the role of the people with respect to the choices of their Government.
    No problem! Thanks for paying my bills.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  19. #18
    dallaswood43 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    38

    i don't know what to do

    i live in utah so my vote definitely doesn't really count, the state goes to the republicans by 80 to 20 percent vote. i'm mormon but i don't really think romney will win if he is the republican candidate because so many evangelicals are scared to death of mormons so he will chase off many would be republican voters. i think its in the better interest of the republican party and conservatives that mccain win. however i think bush has screwed up so severely that the candidate for the democrats will win almost by default.

    these things are cyclical and tend to swing like the pendulum. republican for a while, democrat for a while and back and forth. thus things stay pretty close to the center over the long haul. i also fear, however, that democrats in charge of all branches of the federal government could spell disaster (judicial branch is almost forced to be liberal due to case law and precedent).

  20. #19
    dallaswood43 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    38

    war on terrorism

    i agree with mike's point #4 above. a war declared on an improper noun is not a winnable war. these aren't his words exactly but that is how i interpret them.

  21. #20
    john doe. is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,850
    If Clinton or I'll bomb ya wins then they (democrats) will have total control of the federal government. At least with a republican in the White house it will have a little checks and balances. Even if it is a liberal republican like McCain.

    That’s why I have to vote because if the left wins by a close margin and I didn’t vote then I will be very disappointed in myself and others like me who were staying away because we didn’t want to vote for the lesser evil. No candidate has my 100% approval so I must compromise, which is something I don’t like to do in politics, but it’s the nature of the game.

    So, for those of you staying away from the polls don't whine when the left starts taking away our rights because you did nothing to try to stop it. This is a harse statement I know, but I stand by it.

  22. #21
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by tnoisaw View Post
    At least with a republican in the White house it will have a little checks and balances.
    A divided government is a good thing. But I don't know that Senator "Maverick" McCain would so much "divide" it with his "bipartisan" approach.

    So, for those of you staying away from the polls don't whine when the left starts taking away our rights because you did nothing to try to stop it. This is a harse statement I know, but I stand by it.
    Fair enough. But don't come crying when President McCain closes down gun shows, signs another campaign finance law that stomps on the First Amendment, backs Patriot Act II, institutes amnesty for the "hardworking laborers" from Mexico, empowers the EPA to fight "global warming" by regulatory fiat, and sends more good men to their deaths in Iran.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  23. #22
    dallaswood43 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    38

    mike has no worries

    i'm pretty sure arizona will go to mccain whether mike votes or not. the "swing states" are those that truly decide the election because certain states are almost locked in as republican or democrat.

  24. #23
    mc2
    mc2 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    17
    Barack Obama for President!!!!




  25. #24
    TerryP Guest
    From the state of nitwits that gave John McCain (without help from me) his first victory I supported Romney (after it became apparent by his actions or lack of that Fred wasn't really interested) because I felt he was the only real alternative to McCain. Before I retired I worked in Mass (lived in NH) and saw Romney in person at a few events when he was pushing his economic package for the state. The package worked in Mass. and he left with a surplus.

    I think he would provide good leadership on the economy, be strong on defense, strong on immigration and somewhat soft on guns. I could envision him signing an assault weapons ban as he did in Mass. although he might back away if he felt it would cost him his base.

    I'm guessing whoever is nominated will likely pick a conservative to balance the ticket in an attempt to appease the base. It won't work.

    The only point I can make on voting is if you can't bear to vote for president then don't but be sure to vote for congress, state reps, Governor etc. as that is more important this year with the poor presidential choices.

  26. #25
    Snowman's Avatar
    Snowman is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
    ... be sure to vote for congress, state reps, Governor etc. as that is more important this year with the poor presidential choices.
    That's true. If we actually followed the Constitution as written, your governor would be far more influential than the president. It's a shame how much power has been stripped from the states.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •