Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1. #1
    Rustycompass's Avatar
    Rustycompass is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pawley's Island
    Posts
    1,126

    Question Ugly gun ~ Beautiful gun? Who's to say...?

    This is NOT about anyone in particular, it's about all of us ...

    Why do ya think we allow ourselves to get so "attached" to the guns we own?

    Is it the power they hold ?

    Is it the $$$ we spend on them ?

    Are the weapon choices we make an extention of our personalities ?


    I have made wize~azz comments & posts about weapons I didn't care for but it was meant in the name of humor. It's not like I was talking badly about someone's kids or family.

    ~ I have had people slam my choice of 1911's in the past.

    ~ Hell, I own what I believe to be one of the ugliest pistols on the planet which is my G21.

    ~ I have disagreed with Mike B. our Mod & Forum Gun Guru, about weapons even though he's probably more knowledgeable than I am about firearms but it was never personal.

    I look at it like this: What do I care if someone doesn't like my choice in weapons, it's like saying my craftsman tools suck, and I should have bought Snap~on because they're just better. What the hell do I care? They aren't the one using the tool. I come from a background where my friends cut-up with each other about almost everything, just guys being guys I guess. If my closest friend wasn't giving me a hard time, then I would probably think he was mad at me. I kid pretty hard with a couple members on this forum through PM's & they give it right back and I expect nothing less.

    What do you think ? This is just a few simple thoughts & questions, nothing worth starting a peeing contest over ... is there a chance we discuss this in a civil manner so the thread doesn't get closed?
    Last edited by Rustycompass; 11-29-2007 at 04:24 AM. Reason: kant spel

  2. #2
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdrift View Post
    I have made wize~azz comments & posts about weapons I didn't care for but it was meant in the name of humor. It's not like I was talking badly about someone's kids or family.
    I have made comments about people's choices in weapons in the past and will do so in the future. My thoughts are if you post a picture of your weapon and I think it's ugly, but you say something along the lines of, "Here's my gun", I'll either not respond or congratulate you on the purchase of a weapon. However, if you post a picture and put in somewhere that the gun is the greatest or the prettiest or the straightest shooting (fanning the flames if you will) then I refuse to sit idly by and I will express my counter-views, honestly and candidly. That's how I operate. I don't care if you've got 5000 posts or it's your first post, everyone gets treated the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdrift View Post
    I look at it like this: What do I care if someone doesn't like my choice in weapons, it's like saying my craftsman tools suck, and I should have bought Snap~on because they're just better. What the hell do I care? They aren't the one using the tool.
    +1.
    Last edited by Todd; 11-27-2007 at 07:37 PM.

  3. #3
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    I certainly don't take disagreements about gun choice personally. It's just a tool. What works for me may not work for you, or vice versa. I do think there are guns that have objective advantages over others in terms of ease of shooting and/or reliability, but in the end gun choice is far less important (at least in defense) than mindset, marksmanship, gunhandling skill and tactics.

    I do agree with Todd. The whole point of the forum is debating guns, right? I'd like to think we're not all a bunch of yes-men here only to slap each other on the back.

    Do I necessarily care what everyone thinks of the guns I choose? No. But there are some very knowledgeable people here, and if they criticize something I am doing in terms of guns or shooting technique or whatever, I will give them a listen. In the end I may stick with my own choice, but I appreciate the broader perspective.

    And I certainly wouldn't think of buying a new revolver without consulting Bob Wright first!
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  4. #4
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    Lowdrift, I think you are just trying to start a pissing contest and I also think your glock is ugly as sin. I however am going to be PC and not make any waves.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    319
    I flamed the M1911 on here, a while ago...Mike didn't take too well to it.

  6. #6
    DJ Niner's Avatar
    DJ Niner is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North-Central USA
    Posts
    4,339
    I try not to become ego-invested in my firearms; and it's a good thing, too, as I sometimes end up with some really ugly shootin' irons (and that's the loving OWNER'S opinion). It has helped me develop a thick skin when it comes to my guns. Here are a couple of examples, that I think we can all agree aren't very photogenic.

    The first is a stainless Ruger MK-II .22 pistol that started out life with a 4.75" barrel. The previous owner decided he wanted a suppressor, so he had the barrel shortened and threaded for a muzzle can. Then he bought another gun he liked better, so he traded the Ruger in at a local dealer. The dealer gave me a really good price on it to make it go away (I think it was scaring the other customers), so I bought it, figuring it would make a good truck plinker and small game gun. I didn't like the exposed threads, so I had a local gunsmith shorten the barrel (again) and re-crown it. Because it had no front sight, the previous owner had the receiver grooved for tip-off scope rings, so I put a cheap dot sight on it. This what it looked like (I sold it myself to finance another project):
































    Wait for it...










































    Blech. Nice grips, though.








    Here is a Smith & Wesson skinny-barrel model 10 .38 special that I wanted to do some accuracy load-testing with, and I decided to upgrade the sighting system to improve the practical accuracy:



    Anyway, you get the idea.
    Ugly guns happen, and sometimes they end up in my safe.
    It's all cool, they're just tools.

  7. #7
    Rustycompass's Avatar
    Rustycompass is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pawley's Island
    Posts
    1,126

    Yes Men ? no thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I refuse to sit idly by and I will express my counter-views, honestly and candidly. That's how I operate. I don't care if you've got 5000 posts or it's your first post, everyone gets treated the same.
    ~ thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    I agree with Todd. The whole point of the forum is debating guns, right? I'd like to think we're not all a bunch of yes-men here only to slap each other on the back.
    ~ Exactly my point and how dull would this forum be if we did ? I have "learned" alot more than I have taught on this forum and I believe it was through other members honest accounts & opinions.

    Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    Lowdrift, I think you are just trying to start pissing contest. I however am going to be PC and not make any waves.
    ~ no sir, I'm just thinking out loud. I don't care for the "yes~man" attitude either, I suppose it's just not my nature. You being PC ??? That Montana air must be gettin' to ya ...
    Ok THAT last one was personal.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Niner View Post
    Ugly guns happen, and sometimes they end up in my safe.
    It's all cool, they're just tools.
    ~ Now THAT'S funny , best quote on here lately .......

  8. #8
    js's Avatar
    js
    js is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    3,064
    I've got my favorites, but my philosophy is pretty simple...

    If it goes BANG! Then I like it.






    Thanks guys for keeping this subject civil.


    Actually a "pit" type section might be a cool idea for members to vent, yet be mature and civil at the same time. Just a thought...
    "bing bang boom! hair out...hamburger time" - William Murderface

  9. #9
    Rustycompass's Avatar
    Rustycompass is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pawley's Island
    Posts
    1,126

    Thumbs up Yeah, man

    Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    I've got my favorites, but my philosophy is pretty simple...

    If it goes BANG! Then I like it.






    Thanks guys for keeping this subject civil.


    Actually a "pit" type section might be a cool idea for members to vent, yet be mature and civil at the same time. Just a thought...
    I think that's an excellent idea ! Very interesting.
    Last edited by Rustycompass; 11-28-2007 at 04:50 AM. Reason: poor spelling

  10. #10
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    Actually a "pit" type section might be a cool idea for members to vent, yet be mature and civil at the same time. Just a thought...
    Not a bad idea, though moderation might be a nightmare. And considering a few of the pissing contests I've seen online, you might do well to call it The Octagon.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  11. #11
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    Lowdrift, I think you are just trying to start a pissing contest and I also think your glock is ugly as sin. I however am going to be PC and not make any waves.


    He's always stirring up the pot. He needs to change his user name to Chef Lowdrift.

  12. #12
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    Not a bad idea, though moderation might be a nightmare. And considering a few of the pissing contests I've seen online, you might do well to call it The Octagon.
    Ooh, ooh, I've got it! A non-moderated steel cage area for uber-pissing contests!

  13. #13
    Rustycompass's Avatar
    Rustycompass is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pawley's Island
    Posts
    1,126

    Weellllllll...

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    He's always stirring up the pot. He needs to change his user name to Chef Lowdrift.

    Naw,
    I really don't try to start peein' contest. I just speak my mind and like I said, I'm just not able to be a "YES~Man". And in doing so, if that causes people not to like me that's OK. At least I'm true to myself & I'm good with that.
    I think alot people take forums way too serious. And then there's some that's seem to like to play some sort of grab ass, suck~up game...

    Forum member A. "Your cool & have cool stuff"

    Forum member B. " No, Your cooler than me & so's your stuff"

    Forum member A. "Does this gun make me look fat ?"

    Forum member C. "Your both really super cool & I'll chat with you later"

    Forum member A. "You hang up 1st"

    Forum member C. "No, you hang up 1st"

    Forum member B. " Let's all hang up together on Three, really ? "

    Good god, get a frickin' room !!! Just speak your own mind & stand your ground .

    I just come in here for some downtime and shoot the breeze with everybody, maybe even learn something or get a laugh or two. Sometimes I like to have a beer or a cigar or maybe even both and watch Todd & TOF start sh*t


    Ok, I "MAY HAVE" stired a pot or two from time to time but those two boys have been known to burn down the whole damn kitchen ....

    Last edited by Rustycompass; 11-28-2007 at 04:47 PM.

  14. #14
    john doe. is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,850
    I'm attached to my Glock 23 because it's the first semi-auto I bought. Sometimes I've felt guilty for looking at other guns. Kinda like checking out that hot chick that just walked by ya while you're holding your wifes hand. Yes, the wife saw you look.

    I do like the XD's though. Sorry Glock.

    The problem with forums is that what you say is read by others and not heard. You can't hear the way it was said et. I'm accused of having a strange sense of humor and am proud of it but it sometimes comes out really weird when written down. But sometimes it's funny that way when I know someone took it wrong. I like to mess with people that way.

    The beauty of this forum camparied to others I've been active on is that for the most part, we are pretty civil. For example, I don't even go to Glocktalk anymore because it was getting nasty. It may have changed but I haven't been here in months.

    And that's all I have to say about that.

  15. #15
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdrift View Post
    I think a lot people take forums way too serious. And then there's some that's seem to like to play some sort of grab ass, suck~up game...

    Forum member A. "Your cool & have cool stuff"

    Forum member B. " No, Your cooler than me & so's your stuff"

    Forum member A. "Does this gun make me look fat ?"

    Forum member C. "Your both really super cool & I'll chat with you later"

    Forum member A. "You hang up 1st"

    Forum member C. "No, you hang up 1st"

    Forum member B. " Let's all hang up together on Three, really ? "

    Good god, get a frickin' room !!! Just speak your own mind & stand your ground .


    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdrift View Post
    I just come in here for some downtime and shoot the breeze with everybody, maybe even learn something or get a laugh or two. Sometimes I like to have a beer or a cigar or maybe even both and watch Todd & TOF start sh*t


    Ok, I "MAY HAVE" stired a pot or two from time to time but those two boys have been known to burn down the whole damn kitchen ....

    What? Hey now! I resent .... errr, resemble that remark!

  16. #16
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tnoisaw View Post
    The beauty of this forum camparied to others I've been active on is that for the most part, we are pretty civil. For example, I don't even go to Glocktalk anymore because it was getting nasty. It may have changed but I haven't been here in months..
    Exactly the reason why I don't visit any AR forums any more except for RifleForum.net. Too many assh#@es and armchair commandos. I've seen people get flamed just because of their screen name! My life has enough stress to be bothered with that crap.
    Last edited by Todd; 11-28-2007 at 06:47 PM.

  17. #17
    Baldy's Avatar
    Baldy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Port St.John,FL.
    Posts
    6,741
    So far as a ugly there's nonthing more ugly than a Glock but that don't stop me from wanting one. In fact it's next on my list. I got to check out this low bore axis and crunchinclicker tigger that makes these things so great. I think I misspelled that Mike. Anyway if it goes bang I want to shoot it for sure.LOL.

  18. #18
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
    So far as a ugly there's nonthing more ugly than a Glock but that don't stop me from wanting one. In fact it's next on my list. I got to check out this low bore axis and crunchinclicker tigger that makes these things so great. I think I misspelled that Mike. Anyway if it goes bang I want to shoot it for sure.LOL.


    That's crunchenticker, but it applies to DA/SA pistols, not Glocks. I stole the word from Colonel Cooper, by the way. It's because on one of those pistols, the first shot goes cruuuuuuuuuuuuunch, then the gun reverts to SA and goes tick, tick, tick for subsequent shots. I hate that.

    Glocks, XDs, P7s, and other more modern designs have consistent triggers, which I much prefer to crunchentickers.

    I do agree that Glock is probably the ugliest modern pistol. But hey, we mainly carry them concealed. If I want pretty I can look at my wife.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  19. #19
    Charlie's Avatar
    Charlie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kerr County Texas
    Posts
    2,838
    How in the hell did I miss this beautiful thread!!!!!!! Guns are just tools of the devil and should ALL BE NUKED, of course. Or sent to me to melt down. Ugly guns are great 'cause nobody will steal them (kinda' like what they used to say about.................oh, never mind). And DJ, I hate to say it, but those two guns you got pictured are ugly as Fido's ass!
    Last edited by Charlie; 11-28-2007 at 08:29 PM.

  20. #20
    Baldy's Avatar
    Baldy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Port St.John,FL.
    Posts
    6,741

    Wink

    My bad. I just want one to see how accurate I can get with it and how it packs. That's what I care about in a defense weapon. I am not looking for a show queen for sure. I'd say a Glock or a XD will fill the bill.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1