Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Kailis is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5

    What would you get for around $2500?

    I am considering getting a 1911 in the 2500 dollar range give or take a few hundred. My current line of thought was an Ed Brown, a shop near me carries them and they seem like a high quality firearm. They also carry Wilson combat and nighthawk as well, i may have also seen a high end kimber there too. Now I'm not set in stone to these brands those are just the ones i've seen in my local store. So i guess my question is if you had roughly 2500 dollars to spend on a 1911 what would you get?

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    Shipwreck's Avatar
    Shipwreck is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Beretta City, Texas
    Posts
    10,809
    I have an Ed Brown and a Custom Shop Springfield.

    I love the Ed Brown - a stainless Special Forces 5". I really want to get another Brown - this time a 5" Kobra with a rail, and the Gen 3 finish.

    Be aware that you could buy what is in the shop there, or order another for the same price and make any changes you want. You will wait 60-90 days for an ordered one, but they always seem to come in before the expected delivery date they tell ya.

    I lusted after Nighthawks for years, and had their first printed catalog. I looked at it a lot. When I finally got to hold some Nighthawks, I just wasn't that impressed. The Browns felt better to me.

    I also don't care for WIlson. I don't like the 30 lpi checkering they do (if you special order, you can admittedly change it), and I don't care for some of the thumb safeties I've seen on some Wilson's I've handled...

    I also don't personally care for Les Baer. I don't want a gun built so tight - where ya HAVE to use a bushing wrench to get it apart.

    I wish Brown would make all his models available in 9mm. So, for now - Brown is my fav 45 cal 1911. The Springfield Custom Shop is my fav 9mm cal 1911.

  4. #3
    EliWolfe is offline Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    501
    All I got is a no vote for a $2,500 Kimber!
    This should be interesting...
    Eli

  5. #4
    Springfield Armory's Avatar
    Springfield Armory is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    ATL Georgia
    Posts
    23
    I will take my $1400 TRP and spend the rest on a Surefire and ammo.

  6. #5
    Kailis is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5
    I somehow can't help but think someone with the screen name Springfield armory would be a tad biased lol I've handled a TRP, seemed nice aside from the front cocking serrations i can't stand those

  7. #6
    Springfield Armory's Avatar
    Springfield Armory is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    ATL Georgia
    Posts
    23
    Hey,thats what i have and im satisfied.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    233
    I would go with a Wilson Combat Professional at that price range.

  9. #8
    Pimpovic is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    10
    With my money, I would spend around $1500 for a Dan Wesson whether it be the Valor, V-bob, or soon to be released Guardian in .45 and spend the rest either upgrading my other guns, or use the change to go out and actually shoot the guns I've been piling up over the winter

  10. #9
    Rocker's Avatar
    Rocker is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    62
    I'm with Shipwreck.. would love to try a Ed Brown.. I like the bobbed tail and the triggers seem really sweet.. The finish also seems to be nicely done.
    My brother tried the Wilson and wasnt impressed, I have not shot one.. same for the Night Hawk.
    I like my Les Baer TRS.. think the trigger on the Brown may be a little better. Have heard the LB Blued finish is not that durable..

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern UT
    Posts
    458
    Kimber Super Carry Pro & a Colt Gold Cup.
    This is assuming I didn't already own a 1911.

  12. #11
    GoldenVolt's Avatar
    GoldenVolt is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kernersville, NC
    Posts
    6
    I would get a Damascus slide and a Titanium Race Ready Receiver from Caspian arms and have a good smith fit it for me.

    "Overkill0084
    Kimber Super Carry Pro & a Colt Gold Cup.
    This is assuming I didn't already own a 1911."

    Overkill, how can you have to many 1911's?
    I have only one and "NEED" a bunch more

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern UT
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenVolt View Post
    I would get a Damascus slide and a Titanium Race Ready Receiver from Caspian arms and have a good smith fit it for me.

    "Overkill0084
    Kimber Super Carry Pro & a Colt Gold Cup.
    This is assuming I didn't already own a 1911."

    Overkill, how can you have to many 1911's?
    I have only one and "NEED" a bunch more
    I actually meant that if I were starting with no 1911s at all and had $2500 to spend, that's the direction I would go.

    I actually have 2, but one of them is a blinged out Wings of Freedom commemorative that doesn't get shot. The other is a SA. The Safe Queen forced the puchase of the SA. The only thing worse than having a 1911 that you can't fire, is not having another one that you can fire. It's not that I don't want another 1911 eventually, it's just that there are other guns that I want sooner.

  14. #13
    GoldenVolt's Avatar
    GoldenVolt is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kernersville, NC
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
    I actually meant that if I were starting with no 1911s at all and had $2500 to spend, that's the direction I would go.

    I actually have 2, but one of them is a blinged out Wings of Freedom commemorative that doesn't get shot. The other is a SA. The Safe Queen forced the puchase of the SA. The only thing worse than having a 1911 that you can't fire, is not having another one that you can fire. It's not that I don't want another 1911 eventually, it's just that there are other guns that I want sooner.
    I certainly understand that.
    Well I can't afford a $2500 gun right now, so I'm looking for a full size in 9mm. Kimber Taem Match or DW PM9. I'm sure a lot of people would say 9mm doesn't belong in a 1911 platform.

  15. #14
    fpblue is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7
    I like the STI 5" Tactical 2011. I will be getting one soon.

    http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Tactical5.0/Tactical50.php

  16. #15
    buck-boost's Avatar
    buck-boost is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    38
    In my mind, the only place to spend 2500 is with Wilson Combat. They make everything, arguably some of the best parts money can buy, and have outstanding customer service, and you can have it your way. The fit and finish on their pistols is outstanding.

    If you ever have a problem, they pay freight both ways. Many top end shops don't.

  17. #16
    shaddaddy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    13
    Ed Brown Bobtail Commander

  18. #17
    thinktwice is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    43
    Ed Brown!

  19. #18
    junkit_boy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    I have an Ed Brown and a Custom Shop Springfield.

    I love the Ed Brown - a stainless Special Forces 5". I really want to get another Brown - this time a 5" Kobra with a rail, and the Gen 3 finish.

    Be aware that you could buy what is in the shop there, or order another for the same price and make any changes you want. You will wait 60-90 days for an ordered one, but they always seem to come in before the expected delivery date they tell ya.

    I lusted after Nighthawks for years, and had their first printed catalog. I looked at it a lot. When I finally got to hold some Nighthawks, I just wasn't that impressed. The Browns felt better to me.

    I also don't care for WIlson. I don't like the 30 lpi checkering they do (if you special order, you can admittedly change it), and I don't care for some of the thumb safeties I've seen on some Wilson's I've handled...

    I also don't personally care for Les Baer. I don't want a gun built so tight - where ya HAVE to use a bushing wrench to get it apart.

    I wish Brown would make all his models available in 9mm. So, for now - Brown is my fav 45 cal 1911. The Springfield Custom Shop is my fav 9mm cal 1911.

    I just bought my first 1911 on 9/11 I bought a Ed Brown Special Forces- night sights, Gen III finish, Govt Specs.

    I looked at Les Baer and Brown side by side. Both were great but the Brown got my vote. Now I have to wait 10 days to get it.. yes, I live in Kalifornia

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

colt springfield commemoratjve
,

custom 1911's under $2500 dollars

,
what can 2500 buy yiu
,
what can i buy for $2500
,
what can you buy for 2500
,
what can you buy with 2500 dollars
,
what could you do with around 2500 dollars
,
what i can buy with 2500 dollars
,
what to buy with 2,500 dollars
,

what to buy with 2500 dollars

,
what to do with 2500 bucks
,

what to do with 2500 dollars

Click on a term to search for related topics.