View Poll Results: Which 1911 brand do you prefer?

Voters
1434. You may not vote on this poll
  • Springfield

    330 23.01%
  • Kimber

    378 26.36%
  • Colt

    274 19.11%
  • Smith and Wesson

    88 6.14%
  • Para

    76 5.30%
  • Other (If so, please list)

    288 20.08%
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 468
  1. #61
    ApocalypseWoman's Avatar
    ApocalypseWoman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    66
    Wow, those Nighthawk's run at an extremely high price! Any specific model you'd recommend? Like Predator, Talon 5" or Vickers Tactical.

  2. #62
    yankeedoodle's Avatar
    yankeedoodle is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West of Lake Michigan
    Posts
    29

    Nighthawk

    Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypseWoman View Post
    Wow, those Nighthawk's run at an extremely high price! Any specific model you'd recommend? Like Predator, Talon 5" or Vickers Tactical.
    I went with the Tallon Series in the 5" model. The reason is that you can customize this model with anything that you like. The Predator is a great gun but the Tallon shoots better than I can hold and I did not think that the extra weight up front would help me very much, BUT IT MIGHT OTHERS. I went with Nighthawk for alot of reasons but the main one is the ability to customize it anyway you want to and their great customer service. Not just lip-service, REAL customer service. The "smiths" at Nighthawk are real pro's and I had a ball just sitting down with them to order the product. Call them and talk to them you will see what I mean. I realize that the price is a little "pricey" but if it is in your range remember that this is not a "cookie cutter" gun and you do not have to wait a year or two to get a real custom gun. The reason my delivery is out 12 weeks is my fault. The finish I ordered is the Hard Chrome frame and Diamond Black slide. and they are at the mercy of the people who do this. Call them and request a catalog.
    There are alot of great products out there this one just fit the bill for me.

    Good Luck and Good shooting.

  3. #63
    ApocalypseWoman's Avatar
    ApocalypseWoman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    66
    Well, it's not really about a money issue, as I somewhat believe that you get what you pay for. If you want quality, then 9 times out of 10 you have to fork over the extra $$. Hence why my opinion was to opt for the Springfield Operator over the Kimber TLE/RL II. The Springfield Operator would set you back between $1600-1800. An extra $400 or so would let you get the Nighthawk Talon 5".

    I will definitely look into those Nighthawk's though. From what I've seen just briefly, the Talon 5" is a very very nice looking piece. http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/image...alon5_1_xl.jpg

  4. #64
    ApocalypseWoman's Avatar
    ApocalypseWoman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    66
    Hmm I've just noticed though, that the Talon 5" (I think that's the one) doesn't have a tac rail. But the GRP Recon does, as well as having the Surefire X-200 attached. http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/images/nh-grpr_1_xl.jpg

    Very interesting indeed. Just where exactly is that Nighthawk plant? lol
    Last edited by ApocalypseWoman; 10-28-2006 at 11:10 PM.

  5. #65
    Mystro's Avatar
    Mystro is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Fruited Plain
    Posts
    76

    Talking Like'em both, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypseWoman View Post
    I don't actually own one, but would like some advice on one. My boyfriend is wanting a 1911, and I'm thinking of getting him one at some stage. He has always wanted a Springfield Operator, but because of their price, someone told him that the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II is just as good.

    I'm of the opinion that if you are going to spend say $1000 on a gun, why not spend a couple hundred extra and get the one you really want. However, I'm just new to guns *and loving every minute of it*, and so I may be way off target with my line of thinking.

    Anyone have any ideas/opinions on these two?

    * Link to the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/custom/tlerl.php

    * Link to the Springfield Operator http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...-1911-op.shtml

    Have you looked at the new offering from WC?
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/new_carrycomp.asp
    This CarryComp has really generated interest and it certainly caught my eye. Havn't shot one yet - but it's on the list.
    Good luck!

  6. #66
    ApocalypseWoman's Avatar
    ApocalypseWoman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
    Have you looked at the new offering from WC?
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/new_carrycomp.asp
    This CarryComp has really generated interest and it certainly caught my eye. Havn't shot one yet - but it's on the list.
    Good luck!
    Very nice...

  7. #67
    Mystro's Avatar
    Mystro is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Fruited Plain
    Posts
    76
    I have yet to shoot anything that feels like a Colt in my hand, that shoots like a Colt, that performs like a Colt, or is a accurate as a Colt, right out of the box. A prudent shooter can customize the Colt to rival even the snappiest STIs, the "Stealth" Paras, and the "full whatever" Springers.
    All my Colts are rock soild and solid performers! I even have a Kimber, it's OK, but, its' not a Colt!

    It's a free country, and I understand many folks don't like Colt.
    That's their problem!

    Regards,
    Mystro

  8. #68
    yankeedoodle's Avatar
    yankeedoodle is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West of Lake Michigan
    Posts
    29

    Nighthawk

    Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypseWoman View Post
    Hmm I've just noticed though, that the Talon 5" (I think that's the one) doesn't have a tac rail. But the GRP Recon does, as well as having the Surefire X-200 attached. http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/images/nh-grpr_1_xl.jpg

    Very interesting indeed. Just where exactly is that Nighthawk plant? lol

    The Tallon is available with the Recon Frame for $100.00 if you want to hang a headlight on your gun. IMO I do not see any use for this feature unless you are a LEO or just plain like it. As I said before you can just about get anything you like to customize this gun.

    Berryville Arkansas is about 40 miles south of Branson, MO.

    Wilson is also near Berryville, and Nighthawk is made up of quite a few of the Wilson employees who opened the Nighthawk plant just a few years ago.

    Boy am I stupid, I just noticed that you would have quite a drive to get to the Nighthawk plant in Arkansas from near the Land of OZ. OOPs

    Good Luck
    Last edited by yankeedoodle; 10-29-2006 at 09:02 AM.

  9. #69
    ApocalypseWoman's Avatar
    ApocalypseWoman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeedoodle View Post

    Boy am I stupid, I just noticed that you would have quite a drive to get to the Nighthawk plant in Arkansas from near the Land of OZ. OOPs

    Good Luck
    It's alright, I frequent the US every 10 weeks. The gun isn't for me, but for my boyfriend, and I know he wanted a tac rail on it.

  10. #70
    ApocalypseWoman's Avatar
    ApocalypseWoman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    66
    Found this good review on the Nighthawk's. http://www.defensereview.com/article824.html

  11. #71
    Wandering Man's Avatar
    Wandering Man is online now GM HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Coastal Bend, TX
    Posts
    2,121
    Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypseWoman View Post
    Found this good review on the Nighthawk's. http://www.defensereview.com/article824.html
    Researching guns is fun, but online research is only 1/2 of the fun.

    You really need to get out and test fire some of the guns you are interested in. I know this is supposed to be for your boyfriend, and you probably want to suprise him. But, shooting the gun (or a similar one) is very important.

    If you can narrow the choice down to three or four, then you could find one or more ranges that let you rent the guns. Take him out to the range to fire the guns so that HE can make the choice.

    To me, just going out with my loved one to test fire guns would make a great date.

    Just my 2 penny's worth.

    What ever you do, have fun, don't stress out about it.

    WM
    Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

  12. #72
    ApocalypseWoman's Avatar
    ApocalypseWoman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Man View Post
    Researching guns is fun, but online research is only 1/2 of the fun.

    You really need to get out and test fire some of the guns you are interested in. I know this is supposed to be for your boyfriend, and you probably want to suprise him. But, shooting the gun (or a similar one) is very important.

    If you can narrow the choice down to three or four, then you could find one or more ranges that let you rent the guns. Take him out to the range to fire the guns so that HE can make the choice.

    To me, just going out with my loved one to test fire guns would make a great date.

    Just my 2 penny's worth.

    What ever you do, have fun, don't stress out about it.

    WM

    Oh I'm not stressed about it. I enjoy finding out about different brands etc. I understand that online research is not the same as trying it out for yourself, however it does have it's advantages, and the fact that it's all I can do at the present moment.

    It's not a suprise for my boyfriend either. He's fully aware that I want to buy him one, and the topic is discussed very regularly *almost nightly* as we both research it.

    About the date thing, he takes me shooting anyway and I love it. It's something that we both enjoy.

    ...and that's my 2 cents worth.

  13. #73
    yankeedoodle's Avatar
    yankeedoodle is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West of Lake Michigan
    Posts
    29

    Nighthawk

    Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypseWoman View Post
    Found this good review on the Nighthawk's. http://www.defensereview.com/article824.html
    Good review. Thanks

  14. #74
    Spenser is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypseWoman View Post
    I don't actually own one, but would like some advice on one. My boyfriend is wanting a 1911, and I'm thinking of getting him one at some stage. He has always wanted a Springfield Operator, but because of their price, someone told him that the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II is just as good.

    I'm of the opinion that if you are going to spend say $1000 on a gun, why not spend a couple hundred extra and get the one you really want. However, I'm just new to guns *and loving every minute of it*, and so I may be way off target with my line of thinking.

    Anyone have any ideas/opinions on these two?

    * Link to the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/custom/tlerl.php

    * Link to the Springfield Operator http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...-1911-op.shtml
    I'm a big fan of the Kimbers. I have found almost no problems with them whatsoever. Basically, it seems that it's hard to screw up the 1911 design. Some of Springfield's stuff is imported, and works just as good as anything else out there. The Operator model you mentioned is USA built, if I'm not mistaken.

    My opinion would be to go with the Kimber, but that's my opinion, and it's worth exactly what you paid for it....

  15. #75
    Barry in IN is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    22
    I voted Colt, but carry a Kimber.

    I think Colts are better than anything else as "base guns" to have made into something great. None of the Colts come from the factory set-up like I want, although I could live with some.
    I carry a Kimber because I got one that came set-up like I want. I have three, and they have all been fine. Colts are just made from better materials, in my opinion.

  16. #76
    berkbw is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5

    Favorite .45 (x) Other

    I REALLY enjoy building my own 1911s. So ... I vote for mine.

    b-

  17. #77
    Moe M. is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by spacedoggy View Post
    What about the S&W line of 1911's. I don't hear much about them just my dealer tells me they are great guns.
    I have two of them, my first is the all steel classic model, Blued, spring and plunger type, novak low profile three dot sights, cherry grips, no front slide finger groves, it's got about three thousand rounds thru it of all kinds of good and junk ammo and has never missed a beat, accuracy is as good as my gold cup any day, I bought my second about three months ago, that one is a Titamium framed Commander sized gun, stainless all over except for the frame, great contrast in color, that one has the full lenght guide rod, front styrations and also sports the same novak sights, the grips again are really nice, but in
    cocobolo this time, this gun is easier to carry at a little over an inch shorter and at 28 ounces as opposed to the 41 ounces of my full sized steel 1911.
    Both guns have most of the goodies that we used to have to pay for, like lowered ejection ports, beveled mag well, combat sights, beaver tail grip safety, checker mainspring housing, full length guide rods and springs and the price while not cheap is not bad considering what you get and what you don't have to do to them.
    My only real concern was the external extractor which has been a problem in alot of semi-auto pistols, and one that is causing Kimber alot of problems lately, but stopping to consider that all of Smiths guns have used this system for decades with no trouble, I think S&W knows somethig that the rest doesn't about externals, so I took a chance and haven't had a problem, this new one now has about five hundred or more rounds through it and not one failure to feed or fire, it's been 100% reliable, and soon will have earned the right to be one of those that I would bet my life on.

  18. #78
    reflection01 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    23

    Smile

    I do prefer the semi-custom guns. i have the following and each project a certain presence and character. i can's say which is ultimately the best, because they exhibit a varying degree of art, funtion and faults. however they all are remarkably accurate and reliable. here we go:

    nhc predator




    sa trp op


    les baer trs


    wilson cqb


    used to own a buch of stuff, but they are all gone and these are the final pieces that i believe are the best guns for me. couple of other additions would be a government sized Ed Brown and a commander sized NHC in the future. Enjoy.....
    Last edited by reflection01; 11-16-2006 at 06:50 AM.

  19. #79
    milquetoast is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    535

    favorite 1911s

    Kimbers or Springfields without the external extractor "improvement" and guns without the "improved" firing pin block, and without any locking device.

    My next .45 may have to be the Kimber with the aluminum frame. I think a full-size Government Model with a lightweight frame would be the bees knees.

  20. #80
    Shipwreck's Avatar
    Shipwreck is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Beretta City, Texas
    Posts
    10,903
    That's a sweet looking Nighthawk

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

1911 38 super pt11
,

1911 brands

,
1911 pistol brands
,
1911pistols all brands
,
best 1911 brand
,
brands of 1911 pistols
,
colt 1911 brands
,
good 1911 brands
,

imanishi 17

,
imanishi 17 fiyat?
,
imanishi 17 pistol
,
other brands of 1911 pistols
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1