View Poll Results: Which 1911 brand do you prefer?

Voters
1409. You may not vote on this poll
  • Springfield

    323 22.92%
  • Kimber

    378 26.83%
  • Colt

    265 18.81%
  • Smith and Wesson

    86 6.10%
  • Para

    75 5.32%
  • Other (If so, please list)

    282 20.01%
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 456
  1. #51
    billdeserthills is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    28

    Favorite 1911's

    in order of preference:
    STI Edge .45
    Kimber Ultra Ten II
    Detonics Combatmaster MK 1&5

  2. Ads
  3. #52
    erh's Avatar
    erh
    erh is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    11

    Wink "Well..."

    I really like Ed Brown's & Wilson's for Semi-Custom 1911's... I also build them so I guess I should say I like Mine best...

    I don't have "Pics" to speak of except my Newest E.B.; My Digi. Camera is "Shot..!"



    I wish I could show Y'all some of MY personally built... It'll have to wait on a new Cam. & some NEW build's..!

    E!

  4. #53
    Magnum's Avatar
    Magnum is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    9

    Colt

    To me there is nothing like a Colt.

  5. #54
    Flyingtiger's Avatar
    Flyingtiger is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    5

    Owned them all one time or another.

    I owned them all one time or another. Only one was flawless right out of the box and that was a Mitchell Arms 1995 Gold Series, I wish I still had it. Now I have a Llama IX-A fully worked and it out shoots my Sig P220 duty weapon.

  6. #55
    wetidlerjr's Avatar
    wetidlerjr is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Method View Post
    Which 1911 brand do you prefer? If you could, list a reason why. Past/current experience? Feel, dependibility, accuracy?

    If it's not on the list, feel free to state another option.

    I am looking to get a 1911. I know, I know....I just got my USP-C 9mm you say. Well I just can't help myself. :-D

    Let the debate begin....
    In 1911s, I buy nothing but Colts. Look, features, quality, history.

  7. #56
    ApocalypseWoman's Avatar
    ApocalypseWoman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    66
    I don't actually own one, but would like some advice on one. My boyfriend is wanting a 1911, and I'm thinking of getting him one at some stage. He has always wanted a Springfield Operator, but because of their price, someone told him that the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II is just as good.

    I'm of the opinion that if you are going to spend say $1000 on a gun, why not spend a couple hundred extra and get the one you really want. However, I'm just new to guns *and loving every minute of it*, and so I may be way off target with my line of thinking.

    Anyone have any ideas/opinions on these two?

    * Link to the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/custom/tlerl.php

    * Link to the Springfield Operator http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...-1911-op.shtml

  8. #57
    Shipwreck's Avatar
    Shipwreck is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Beretta City, Texas
    Posts
    10,723
    I have had a Springfield TRP before (basically, the same as the TRP Operator w/o the rail) - It was a $1200 gun. It was not as accurate as past 1911s I have owned. It functioned w/o jams, but it never quite hit where I wanted it too. I also hated the sights. The TRP and the Operator U are talking about comes w/ night sights - only they are not your typical ones. They have barely noticeable silver circles around the tritium, instead of the nice white circles. I hated these sights. And,I have seen others complain about them on the 1911 forum before.

    Most accurate 1911 I have personally owned in the past was a Kimber Tactical 2. If it were me, I'd buy a the stainless model of the Kimber you posted the link to. I love the night sights that Kimber uses as well.

    But 1 piece of advice.... If your boyfriend WANTS that Springfield... He will never be satisfied until he gets it. If the other gun is better or worse, your boyfriend needs to come to that conclusion, or he will always lust after the Operator even though he owns the Kimber
    Last edited by Shipwreck; 10-24-2006 at 06:42 PM.

  9. #58
    ApocalypseWoman's Avatar
    ApocalypseWoman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    66
    Hmm interesting. Especially the bit about the sights. However I've heard a lot of negative comments about the Kimber's external extractor, as well as other issues with them, and not being as agressive as the Springfield's with 20 LPI checkering (30 on the Kimber's). I think from what I've read on this forum, as well as calguns.net I think I'll go with the Springfield.

    Anyway, thanks for the information.

    Cheers...
    Last edited by ApocalypseWoman; 10-27-2006 at 10:28 PM.

  10. #59
    yankeedoodle's Avatar
    yankeedoodle is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West of Lake Michigan
    Posts
    29

    Talking Kimber EE

    Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypseWoman View Post
    Hmm interesting. Especially the bit about the sights. However I've heard a lot of negative comments about the Kimber's external extractor, as well as other issues with them, and not being as agressive as the Springfield's with 20 LPI checkering (30 on the Kimber's). I think from what I've read on this forum, as well as calguns.net I think I'll go with the Springfield.

    Anyway, thanks for the information.

    Cheers...
    Kimbers Externals are a thing of the past. I have a 5" and never have had one lick of trouble but many others have. Many of the problems were with shorter barrell lengths. Drive down to Berryville, AK and get him a Nighthawk he will love you forever. Mine is coming in about 8-10 weeks.

  11. #60
    yankeedoodle's Avatar
    yankeedoodle is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West of Lake Michigan
    Posts
    29
    [QUOTE=Shipwreck;35154]\
    Well, U are talking about high end guns. I'd love a Nighthawk, but doubt I can ever afford one.

    I paid the extreme price just to get a Nighthawk......I had to take my wife to Branson for three days. The only reason I did was the Nighthawk plant is only 40 miles away. (OK OK the other reasons are to hurtful to mention----SHE won.)

  12. #61
    ApocalypseWoman's Avatar
    ApocalypseWoman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    66
    Wow, those Nighthawk's run at an extremely high price! Any specific model you'd recommend? Like Predator, Talon 5" or Vickers Tactical.

  13. #62
    yankeedoodle's Avatar
    yankeedoodle is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West of Lake Michigan
    Posts
    29

    Nighthawk

    Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypseWoman View Post
    Wow, those Nighthawk's run at an extremely high price! Any specific model you'd recommend? Like Predator, Talon 5" or Vickers Tactical.
    I went with the Tallon Series in the 5" model. The reason is that you can customize this model with anything that you like. The Predator is a great gun but the Tallon shoots better than I can hold and I did not think that the extra weight up front would help me very much, BUT IT MIGHT OTHERS. I went with Nighthawk for alot of reasons but the main one is the ability to customize it anyway you want to and their great customer service. Not just lip-service, REAL customer service. The "smiths" at Nighthawk are real pro's and I had a ball just sitting down with them to order the product. Call them and talk to them you will see what I mean. I realize that the price is a little "pricey" but if it is in your range remember that this is not a "cookie cutter" gun and you do not have to wait a year or two to get a real custom gun. The reason my delivery is out 12 weeks is my fault. The finish I ordered is the Hard Chrome frame and Diamond Black slide. and they are at the mercy of the people who do this. Call them and request a catalog.
    There are alot of great products out there this one just fit the bill for me.

    Good Luck and Good shooting.

  14. #63
    ApocalypseWoman's Avatar
    ApocalypseWoman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    66
    Well, it's not really about a money issue, as I somewhat believe that you get what you pay for. If you want quality, then 9 times out of 10 you have to fork over the extra $$. Hence why my opinion was to opt for the Springfield Operator over the Kimber TLE/RL II. The Springfield Operator would set you back between $1600-1800. An extra $400 or so would let you get the Nighthawk Talon 5".

    I will definitely look into those Nighthawk's though. From what I've seen just briefly, the Talon 5" is a very very nice looking piece. http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/image...alon5_1_xl.jpg

  15. #64
    ApocalypseWoman's Avatar
    ApocalypseWoman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    66
    Hmm I've just noticed though, that the Talon 5" (I think that's the one) doesn't have a tac rail. But the GRP Recon does, as well as having the Surefire X-200 attached. http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/images/nh-grpr_1_xl.jpg

    Very interesting indeed. Just where exactly is that Nighthawk plant? lol
    Last edited by ApocalypseWoman; 10-28-2006 at 10:10 PM.

  16. #65
    Mystro's Avatar
    Mystro is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Fruited Plain
    Posts
    76

    Talking Like'em both, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypseWoman View Post
    I don't actually own one, but would like some advice on one. My boyfriend is wanting a 1911, and I'm thinking of getting him one at some stage. He has always wanted a Springfield Operator, but because of their price, someone told him that the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II is just as good.

    I'm of the opinion that if you are going to spend say $1000 on a gun, why not spend a couple hundred extra and get the one you really want. However, I'm just new to guns *and loving every minute of it*, and so I may be way off target with my line of thinking.

    Anyone have any ideas/opinions on these two?

    * Link to the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/custom/tlerl.php

    * Link to the Springfield Operator http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...-1911-op.shtml

    Have you looked at the new offering from WC?
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/new_carrycomp.asp
    This CarryComp has really generated interest and it certainly caught my eye. Havn't shot one yet - but it's on the list.
    Good luck!

  17. #66
    ApocalypseWoman's Avatar
    ApocalypseWoman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
    Have you looked at the new offering from WC?
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/new_carrycomp.asp
    This CarryComp has really generated interest and it certainly caught my eye. Havn't shot one yet - but it's on the list.
    Good luck!
    Very nice...

  18. #67
    Mystro's Avatar
    Mystro is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Fruited Plain
    Posts
    76
    I have yet to shoot anything that feels like a Colt in my hand, that shoots like a Colt, that performs like a Colt, or is a accurate as a Colt, right out of the box. A prudent shooter can customize the Colt to rival even the snappiest STIs, the "Stealth" Paras, and the "full whatever" Springers.
    All my Colts are rock soild and solid performers! I even have a Kimber, it's OK, but, its' not a Colt!

    It's a free country, and I understand many folks don't like Colt.
    That's their problem!

    Regards,
    Mystro

  19. #68
    yankeedoodle's Avatar
    yankeedoodle is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West of Lake Michigan
    Posts
    29

    Nighthawk

    Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypseWoman View Post
    Hmm I've just noticed though, that the Talon 5" (I think that's the one) doesn't have a tac rail. But the GRP Recon does, as well as having the Surefire X-200 attached. http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/images/nh-grpr_1_xl.jpg

    Very interesting indeed. Just where exactly is that Nighthawk plant? lol

    The Tallon is available with the Recon Frame for $100.00 if you want to hang a headlight on your gun. IMO I do not see any use for this feature unless you are a LEO or just plain like it. As I said before you can just about get anything you like to customize this gun.

    Berryville Arkansas is about 40 miles south of Branson, MO.

    Wilson is also near Berryville, and Nighthawk is made up of quite a few of the Wilson employees who opened the Nighthawk plant just a few years ago.

    Boy am I stupid, I just noticed that you would have quite a drive to get to the Nighthawk plant in Arkansas from near the Land of OZ. OOPs

    Good Luck
    Last edited by yankeedoodle; 10-29-2006 at 08:02 AM.

  20. #69
    ApocalypseWoman's Avatar
    ApocalypseWoman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeedoodle View Post

    Boy am I stupid, I just noticed that you would have quite a drive to get to the Nighthawk plant in Arkansas from near the Land of OZ. OOPs

    Good Luck
    It's alright, I frequent the US every 10 weeks. The gun isn't for me, but for my boyfriend, and I know he wanted a tac rail on it.

  21. #70
    ApocalypseWoman's Avatar
    ApocalypseWoman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    66
    Found this good review on the Nighthawk's. http://www.defensereview.com/article824.html

  22. #71
    Wandering Man's Avatar
    Wandering Man is offline GM HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Coastal Bend, TX
    Posts
    2,121
    Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypseWoman View Post
    Found this good review on the Nighthawk's. http://www.defensereview.com/article824.html
    Researching guns is fun, but online research is only 1/2 of the fun.

    You really need to get out and test fire some of the guns you are interested in. I know this is supposed to be for your boyfriend, and you probably want to suprise him. But, shooting the gun (or a similar one) is very important.

    If you can narrow the choice down to three or four, then you could find one or more ranges that let you rent the guns. Take him out to the range to fire the guns so that HE can make the choice.

    To me, just going out with my loved one to test fire guns would make a great date.

    Just my 2 penny's worth.

    What ever you do, have fun, don't stress out about it.

    WM
    Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

  23. #72
    ApocalypseWoman's Avatar
    ApocalypseWoman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Man View Post
    Researching guns is fun, but online research is only 1/2 of the fun.

    You really need to get out and test fire some of the guns you are interested in. I know this is supposed to be for your boyfriend, and you probably want to suprise him. But, shooting the gun (or a similar one) is very important.

    If you can narrow the choice down to three or four, then you could find one or more ranges that let you rent the guns. Take him out to the range to fire the guns so that HE can make the choice.

    To me, just going out with my loved one to test fire guns would make a great date.

    Just my 2 penny's worth.

    What ever you do, have fun, don't stress out about it.

    WM

    Oh I'm not stressed about it. I enjoy finding out about different brands etc. I understand that online research is not the same as trying it out for yourself, however it does have it's advantages, and the fact that it's all I can do at the present moment.

    It's not a suprise for my boyfriend either. He's fully aware that I want to buy him one, and the topic is discussed very regularly *almost nightly* as we both research it.

    About the date thing, he takes me shooting anyway and I love it. It's something that we both enjoy.

    ...and that's my 2 cents worth.

  24. #73
    yankeedoodle's Avatar
    yankeedoodle is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West of Lake Michigan
    Posts
    29

    Nighthawk

    Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypseWoman View Post
    Found this good review on the Nighthawk's. http://www.defensereview.com/article824.html
    Good review. Thanks

  25. #74
    Spenser is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypseWoman View Post
    I don't actually own one, but would like some advice on one. My boyfriend is wanting a 1911, and I'm thinking of getting him one at some stage. He has always wanted a Springfield Operator, but because of their price, someone told him that the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II is just as good.

    I'm of the opinion that if you are going to spend say $1000 on a gun, why not spend a couple hundred extra and get the one you really want. However, I'm just new to guns *and loving every minute of it*, and so I may be way off target with my line of thinking.

    Anyone have any ideas/opinions on these two?

    * Link to the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/custom/tlerl.php

    * Link to the Springfield Operator http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...-1911-op.shtml
    I'm a big fan of the Kimbers. I have found almost no problems with them whatsoever. Basically, it seems that it's hard to screw up the 1911 design. Some of Springfield's stuff is imported, and works just as good as anything else out there. The Operator model you mentioned is USA built, if I'm not mistaken.

    My opinion would be to go with the Kimber, but that's my opinion, and it's worth exactly what you paid for it....

  26. #75
    Barry in IN is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    22
    I voted Colt, but carry a Kimber.

    I think Colts are better than anything else as "base guns" to have made into something great. None of the Colts come from the factory set-up like I want, although I could live with some.
    I carry a Kimber because I got one that came set-up like I want. I have three, and they have all been fine. Colts are just made from better materials, in my opinion.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

1911 38 super pt11
,

1911 brands

,
1911 pistol brands
,
1911pistols all brands
,
best 1911 brand
,
colt .45 1911 pistol, popular brands
,
custom 1911 brands
,
good 1911 brands
,

imanishi 17

,
imanishi 17 fiyat?
,
imanishi 17 gun
,
other brands of 1911 pistols
Click on a term to search for related topics.