View Poll Results: Which 1911 brand do you prefer?

Voters
1409. You may not vote on this poll
  • Springfield

    323 22.92%
  • Kimber

    378 26.83%
  • Colt

    265 18.81%
  • Smith and Wesson

    86 6.10%
  • Para

    75 5.32%
  • Other (If so, please list)

    282 20.01%
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast
Results 376 to 400 of 456
  1. #376
    Waldo Pepper's Avatar
    Waldo Pepper is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    80
    I've had several RIA's and I consider them a great entry level choice and if it's going to be a personel defence gun the the first tining you do is replace all factory springs or at least the recoil and FP sprinngs. Taurus is another entry level 1911 even though with some of their guns retail at just under $1000, and I consider over $700 above the entry level for 1911's.

    I picked up a Taurus new for $399 this summer....this looks like a pimp gun and I even joke about it being one. But it so far is 100% reliable, very accurate and easy on hands. The feed ramp is polished to a perfect mirror finish, but FP had to be replaced because of being about 1/16" to short making for light primer strikes. It however had fired Remington factory 130 gr ball and CCI primmed handloads of mine w/o a failure. At that point I replaced the factory recoil and FP spring silicon wire springs, the recoil spring using at present is 17# for +P loads.

  2. Ads
  3. #377
    chessail77's Avatar
    chessail77 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    White Mtns. in AZ
    Posts
    1,349
    I own a S&W 1911 and it is excellent, accurate and dependable, the design improvements and warranty were the edge for me.....JJ

  4. #378
    Sgt45's Avatar
    Sgt45 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    164
    I clicked other, my other is Wilson Combat X-Tac. My pre-70 series Colt is back in the safe. I've played with a lot of different guns over the last 40 years and the Wilson is by far the finest pistol I've ever owned, and yes, it's the most expensive.

  5. #379
    stevedw's Avatar
    stevedw is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3
    Dan Wesson

  6. #380
    deskjockey12 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Method View Post
    Which 1911 brand do you prefer? If you could, list a reason why. Past/current experience? Feel, dependibility, accuracy?

    If it's not on the list, feel free to state another option.

    I am looking to get a 1911. I know, I know....I just got my USP-C 9mm you say. Well I just can't help myself. :-D

    Let the debate begin....
    If buying a gun soon after the previous purchase is a bad thing then I need an intervention.

  7. #381
    shamrock62 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by spacedoggy View Post
    What about the S&W line of 1911's. I don't hear much about them just my dealer tells me they are great guns.
    I have the S&W 1911, it shots great, the only problem I have with the Smith's is that the extractor runs along the slide serrations...It kind of annoys me. That said, I also have the 3" barrel S&W 1911 - I can't say enough great things about the gun, shoots awesome. My favorite however, is the Ruger. Looks great, feels great and shoots awesome. Also, the extractor isn't on the slide! Being from MA - we aren't allowed the Les Baers, Rock Rivers, Ed Browns, Springfields, Colts (unless pre...) or even the the Kimbers! We can have the Sigs (which aren't true 1911s) Smiths, Para, Auto Ord., Rugers and not much else...Sucks!

  8. #382
    sleepy's Avatar
    sleepy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Work in Southern In. but live in coastal Tx.
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by deskjockey12 View Post
    If buying a gun soon after the previous purchase is a bad thing then I need an intervention.
    LOL---you will have to wait till they are through with me.

  9. #383
    claimbuster is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    25
    DW, LB, STI and NH, in no particular order. Own and shoot all of them.

  10. #384
    jaucp777 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    7
    I have the fairly new Remington 1911 R1 and it's awesome. Only paid 650.00 and is worth every penny. I highly recommend this hand-gun.

  11. #385
    jaucp777 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    7
    You can't go wrong with a Smith & Wesson!!! Lifetime warranty.

  12. #386
    Waldo Pepper's Avatar
    Waldo Pepper is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    80
    Well if you think you need a life time warranty that's a good reason to buy S&W as any, but they are PIA to customize due to they are spec different from true 1911, fire control system different, can't use aftermarket barrels and slides. So if it's ain't like you want it, or you just want to dress it up some you gotta call S&W for the most part. All that aside they are generally well made with good attention to detail.

    However I still say the current 1911 from Ruger is the best buy on the market, it has all the options one would want, except for Bobtail fram option and for $600 price tag.

  13. #387
    Packard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    1,017
    The one gun I really regret getting rid of was my stainless steel Gold Cup. It was the most accurate gun I've ever shot. Very reliable. And (considering the quality) reasonably priced.

    The one down-side was it was not even reasonably dehorned and it would trash the linings on my sports jackets and suit jackets.

  14. #388
    Waldo Pepper's Avatar
    Waldo Pepper is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    80
    I finally got my Colt 38 Super LWC recently, been trying to find one for several years.

  15. #389
    rex
    rex is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,228
    I prefer Colt,I know they are based on original specs and easier to work on than some others.

  16. #390
    Jammersix is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    94
    Colt has made more changes to ordnance specs than the other manufacturers put together.

  17. #391
    jdeere9750 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    422

    Which 1911 brand do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Waldo Pepper View Post
    I finally got my Colt 38 Super LWC recently, been trying to find one for several years.

    Nice looking gun. I like that color combo.

  18. #392
    60DRB is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    East L.A.
    Posts
    17
    I like it when I see wear marks on guns...

  19. #393
    rdstrain49 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    western SD
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    I prefer Colt,I know they are based on original specs and easier to work on than some others.
    ???????????????

  20. #394
    paratrooper is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,113
    I know I'm gonna catch Hell for saying this, but COLT 1911's have never really impressed me. Kind of felt that they were way over-rated, and as of late, living off their name for the most part.

    I have a Para-Ordnance P-1445 Limited Edition, and one of the Ruger 1911's. Those are as close as I'm gonna get to a COLT 1911.

  21. #395
    Waldo Pepper's Avatar
    Waldo Pepper is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    80
    Close enough for me.

  22. #396
    Scott1911 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4
    In doing months of research I became sold on the Para Ordnance GI Expert. Yes it is not as full featured as some of the other guns out there, but the price was right and they are nicely built and well made. For under 500 bucks I think I got a very good deal.

  23. #397
    Waldo Pepper's Avatar
    Waldo Pepper is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    80
    Well for a 45ACP 1911 the best buy on the market at the moment for quality of materials, workmanship and price is the Ruger 1911 and it comes fully dress, only thing to maybe do is change thye stocks or go for night sights. Most dealers are selling them for about $575 to $650 range.

  24. #398
    hayes1966's Avatar
    hayes1966 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4
    I have a couple of Kimbers - Customer Target II and Custom II. The target model is superb.

  25. #399
    pic's Avatar
    pic
    pic is offline Senior Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Upstate,N.Y.
    Posts
    1,315
    Quote Originally Posted by shamrock62 View Post
    I have the S&W 1911, it shots great, the only problem I have with the Smith's is that the extractor runs along the slide serrations...It kind of annoys me. That said, I also have the 3" barrel S&W 1911 - I can't say enough great things about the gun, shoots awesome. My favorite however, is the Ruger. Looks great, feels great and shoots awesome. Also, the extractor isn't on the slide! Being from MA - we aren't allowed the Les Baers, Rock Rivers, Ed Browns, Springfields, Colts (unless pre...) or even the the Kimbers! We can have the Sigs (which aren't true 1911s) Smiths, Para, Auto Ord., Rugers and not much else...Sucks!
    Why would the sig not be considered a true 1911, just curious
    1911 Traditional Compact Stainless

  26. #400
    Waldo Pepper's Avatar
    Waldo Pepper is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    80
    Probably same reason the S&W isn't by 1911 snobs, are should I say the purest faction, the S&W & Sig are not compatible with parts. They will not take universal 1911 parts, and then there is external extractor. Although there the external extractor is a big improvement for 1911's the die hard 1911 guys don't like that big of improvement because of looks. JMB tried to get the USA & Colt to go with improved gun with external extractor and one piece barrel feed ramp but was turned down, so he started work on the now famous Browning Hi Power that is the basis for most modern semi-automatic hand guns....full ramped barrels and external extractors.

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

1911 38 super pt11
,

1911 brands

,
1911 pistol brands
,
1911pistols all brands
,
best 1911 brand
,
colt .45 1911 pistol, popular brands
,
custom 1911 brands
,
good 1911 brands
,

imanishi 17

,
imanishi 17 fiyat?
,
imanishi 17 gun
,
other brands of 1911 pistols
Click on a term to search for related topics.