Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    imported_js Guest

    1911 - "Cocked and Locked"

    I found this excellent online article about the 1911 "Cocked and Locked" question... Is "Cocked and Locked" Dangerous?

    Thought I'd pass it along.

    http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/cockedandlocked.htm

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    Hal8000's Avatar
    Hal8000 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Royal Gorge, Colorado
    Posts
    531
    Good article!
    When I carried the 1911, it was in condition 1.
    Personally, I think condition 2 to be the most dangerous way to carry a 1911, just because you have to lower the hammer onto a loaded chamber and that, in my mind is a very dangerous step...

  4. #3
    DennyCrane's Avatar
    DennyCrane is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal8000
    Good article!
    When I carried the 1911, it was in condition 1.
    Personally, I think condition 2 to be the most dangerous way to carry a 1911, just because you have to lower the hammer onto a loaded chamber and that, in my mind is a very dangerous step...
    I agree with you on this one.

  5. #4
    cigarlover is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, Al
    Posts
    12
    The answer is no .......


    The 1911 was made to be carried cocked and locked. It has 3 safety features. Slide safety, grip safety, and the final- trigger pull. The odds of an accidental discharge are so low that they more than likely can't be computed. Think about it- The glock has 1 safety feature- thats pulling the trigger. All the modern pistols are coming with firing pin safeties so they can't discharge, even if dropped on the ground while loaded. Cocked and locked just looks unsafe but it's not.

  6. #5
    spacedoggy's Avatar
    spacedoggy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Planet Zeon just outside of Tyler Texas
    Posts
    1,220
    Correction the Glock has three safeties Trigger safety, Drop safety and Firing pin safety. As for the 1911, I was an MP during the early 70's and always carried lock and cocked. I've seen a lot of them go off at the clearing barrel due to the ones that thought condition two was best. I do remember a manual that stated if you carry with one in the chamber and you bring the hammer down then there is a fourth saftey which is to bring the hammer back just a little and it will lock in place. If you have a gov't model you should have this. I would never use it.

  7. #6
    Ala Dan is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Old Dixie'land
    Posts
    50
    Condition 1, is how I always carry any 1911 style .45 ACP. As
    has been stated, it is the quickest and safest way too swing into a
    confrontation when time is of crictical importance. I also keep one
    of my 1911's at hand for any home defense scenarios. However,
    it is widely known that all perps understand the "universal language"
    of the 12 gague pump action shotgun, as a first line of home D'. :-D

  8. #7
    Hal8000's Avatar
    Hal8000 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Royal Gorge, Colorado
    Posts
    531
    I dearly loves my pistols, but given the chance, I grabs my shotgun first...

  9. #8
    raveneap's Avatar
    raveneap is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    MAINE
    Posts
    51
    Excellent article. As a long time shooter but relatively new to the 1911 family, it made a lot of sense to me. Thanks.

  10. #9
    Charlie's Avatar
    Charlie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kerr County Texas
    Posts
    2,838
    +1 on cocked and locked.

  11. #10
    Delta Force is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    27

    Cocked and locked

    I always carry my 1911's in condition one.It is the correct way to carry them and the only way that I will.It is not unsafe to carry them in this way unless you have had some bad custom work done to yours.

  12. #11
    scooter's Avatar
    scooter is offline Supporting Member - Legally Armed Scooter Trash
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,031

    Condition 1

    Anything less than cocked and locked means you have an expensive club if you need it in a hurry...

  13. #12
    1911driver is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Parker, Colorado
    Posts
    38

    C & L

    Condition #1 is the way to safely and properly carry a 1911. The thing that freaks most of the ignorant and uniniatiated..is that they see the hammer cocked back and think OMG..that gun is ready to fire...!! That is a terribly dangerous situation...!! Alittle education in this area goes along way toward disspelling alot of this type of ignorance...

  14. #13
    jwkimber45's Avatar
    jwkimber45 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,818

    Re: Condition 1

    Quote Originally Posted by scooter
    Anything less than cocked and locked means you have an expensive club if you need it in a hurry...
    +1

  15. #14
    maverick9614 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12

    Re: Condition 1

    Quote Originally Posted by scooter
    Anything less than cocked and locked means you have an expensive club if you need it in a hurry...
    If you don't mind, I think I just found my new signature.

  16. #15
    scooter's Avatar
    scooter is offline Supporting Member - Legally Armed Scooter Trash
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,031

    Re: Condition 1

    Quote Originally Posted by maverick9614
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter
    Anything less than cocked and locked means you have an expensive club if you need it in a hurry...
    If you don't mind, I think I just found my new signature.
    Doesnt bother me...I think I probably stole it from someone else years ago :-D :-D

  17. #16
    Dragon is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    54
    I agree with everyone else. Cocked and Locked. There shouldn't even be any other way. I have a friend that carries his 1911 in Condition 3 because he says he figures he will have to engage the bad guy in an unarmed manner first while drawing his pistol, racking the slide, and firing. I asked him what if he only has one hand to draw, rack and fire. He didn't have an answer. The 1911 was designed to be carried in condition 1 and I think Mr. Browning knew a little more about firearms than me, so I will stick with his design.

  18. #17
    progun47 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by spacedoggy
    Correction the Glock has three safeties Trigger safety, Drop safety and Firing pin safety. As for the 1911, I was an MP during the early 70's and always carried lock and cocked. I've seen a lot of them go off at the clearing barrel due to the ones that thought condition two was best. I do remember a manual that stated if you carry with one in the chamber and you bring the hammer down then there is a fourth saftey which is to bring the hammer back just a little and it will lock in place. If you have a gov't model you should have this. I would never use it.
    The 1/2 cock position is not a safe way for a 1911 to be carried, ever. It's just asking for a discharge if the weapon is dropped, why John Browning put that position on the pistol is still an unanswered question.

  19. #18
    scooter's Avatar
    scooter is offline Supporting Member - Legally Armed Scooter Trash
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,031
    Quote Originally Posted by progun47
    The 1/2 cock position is not a safe way for a 1911 to be carried, ever. It's just asking for a discharge if the weapon is dropped, why John Browning put that position on the pistol is still an unanswered question.
    Its not an unanswered question??It was put there to catch the hammerfall if for some (any) unforseen reason the hammer dropped without the trigger being pulled,as in drop the pistol from a running horse,or running from foxhole to foxhole and flopping in it,etc,etc

  20. #19
    spacedoggy's Avatar
    spacedoggy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Planet Zeon just outside of Tyler Texas
    Posts
    1,220
    As I stated I would never use the 1/2 cocked position. Only fully cocked and locked.

  21. #20
    RONNIE J's Avatar
    RONNIE J is offline Supporting Member - Authorized Forum Dealer
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    201

    MUST BE RIGHT

    C & L must be right--That is the way we were taught in the service and we all know the GOVERNMENT IS ALWAYS CORRECT--just ask them.

    :-D :-D

    RJ
    PM 325 F&AM
    D.A.V. LIFE MEMBER

    http://www.kygrips.com/

  22. #21
    michael t is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    outback KY
    Posts
    208

    Re: MUST BE RIGHT

    Quote Originally Posted by RONNIE J
    C & L must be right--That is the way we were taught in the service and we all know the GOVERNMENT IS ALWAYS CORRECT--just ask them.

    :-D :-D

    RJ
    I don't know what service you were in but in my 13 years in Army I carried a 45 most of time first few years and all time when I switched to MP's Never was I taught C&L or was it allowed except when you were sure contact us about to take place. Only time I carried C&L was the year+ I was on special assigment off base in civies and packing my personal 45 Commander with the PM's approval. He still made me carry ball in stead of super vel.

  23. #22
    Shipwreck's Avatar
    Shipwreck is online now HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Beretta City, Texas
    Posts
    10,736
    Yes, I too have heard that most military were made to carry w/ the hammer down and no round in the chamber.

  24. #23
    RONNIE J's Avatar
    RONNIE J is offline Supporting Member - Authorized Forum Dealer
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    201

    Re: MUST BE RIGHT

    Quote Originally Posted by michael t
    Quote Originally Posted by RONNIE J
    C & L must be right--That is the way we were taught in the service and we all know the GOVERNMENT IS ALWAYS CORRECT--just ask them.

    :-D :-D

    RJ
    I don't know what service you were in but in my 13 years in Army I carried a 45 most of time first few years and all time when I switched to MP's Never was I taught C&L or was it allowed except when you were sure contact us about to take place. Only time I carried C&L was the year+ I was on special assignment off base in civvies and packing my personal 45 Commander with the PM's approval. He still made me carry ball in stead of super vel.
    That was my point--how does an MP (or AP) know that contact is not just a wisp away no matter where the duty--but in all fairness C&L was our combat carry and ball is all we were issued. In KOREA my room mate was the base small arms instructor and ranted and raved --true most USAF personnel are issued the 38 spl at this time 30 years + ago --they were made to carry on an empty with the revolver--Most of my duty was spent on assignment to other branches or in civvis and in L.A. we were issued 38 supers--for what reason I am not sure. I was not AIR Police but did shoot with a lot of them on the range--but the service bosssssses are always right--huh--
    RJ
    PM 325 F&AM
    D.A.V. LIFE MEMBER

    http://www.kygrips.com/

  25. #24
    Dustoff '68 Guest

    Condition 2

    ...loaded with hammer down....not a single mishap in over 30 years 8)

  26. #25
    spacedoggy's Avatar
    spacedoggy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Planet Zeon just outside of Tyler Texas
    Posts
    1,220
    but what happens when you need to use it. Hope you don't have to challeage anyone who is cocked and locked. I bet your finger goes on the trigger before it's needed. To each his own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

1911 cocked and locked

,
1911 cocked and locked carry
,
1911 condition 1 2 3
,
carrying 1911 cocked and locked
,
chuck taylor 1911
,

cocked and locked

,

cocked and locked 1911

,
how to carry a 1911 cocked and locked
,

is cocked and locked dangerous

,
is it safe to carry a 1911 cocked and locked
,
locked and cocked 1911
,
what is cocked and locked 1911
Click on a term to search for related topics.