Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 75
  1. #26
    Vom Kriege's Avatar
    Vom Kriege is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    336
    I want a Kimber Eclipse full size, but I doubt I'll spend the money on one.

  2. Ads
  3. #27
    my191145 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1
    I just signed up so I could discourage any newby reading this from buying the crappy Taurus pistols. I bought 3 of their 1911's within a 1 year period. They seemed to be a good deal.... Fast forward to present day after taking the time to learn in detail about the funtion of the 1911 and critical dimensions that should be and not be. I have come to the conclustion that Taurus is a TURD even "for the money". How do I know? 1. The machining is garbage.
    2. On two of my guns the slide had deep gouges right where they supposedly maching the feed ramp. I returned both to have them replace both 1911 receivers, yes both receivers were replaced. On the third gun the barrel ramp looked like it had been dropped on a rock. Literally it had chips and large dents at the bottom portion of barrel ramp. The machining inside the throat is rediculous. I was so dissapointed. The breech lockup was already greater than 10thousands of an inch from the factoy. My understanding is that it should be less than 8thousands for sure. The safeties are poorly machined and ill fitted. Hell even the safety hit the grips. What a joke those guns are..... Don't even ge me started on the Taurus OSS .45. Be prepared to send it back to the facory at least once if not twice...I had been a Taurus fan for a while till these 4 guns. I didn't have the heart to telll my dad and friends who I also convinced to buy these crappy guns. What the hell... I don't understand why Taurus or any other type of gun company can't put a little bit of more effort into making something a bit better. I want a great 1911 that is not made with crappy steel from brazil or china or phillippines. I am leaning towards the STI Lawman or Trojan now. I don't want to spend more than 1500. I honestly don't think you should have to either to get something great for that. Why can sig or hk build great steel guns for far less but all the good 1911 companies charge 2-3 times that amount? Speaking of Sig is the quality of there 1911's comparable to STI?

  4. #28
    brifol6111's Avatar
    brifol6111 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Davidson County, NC - USA
    Posts
    58
    I currently own 4 1911's and love them all. I am currently thinking of getting the Caspian XR kit (supposedly has a few blemishes but I didnt see any) and having one built.

    http://www.caspianarms.com/specials.php

  5. #29
    tekhead1219's Avatar
    tekhead1219 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    1,750
    Quote Originally Posted by my191145 View Post
    I just signed up so I could discourage any newby reading this from buying the crappy Taurus pistols. I bought 3 of their 1911's within a 1 year period. They seemed to be a good deal.... Fast forward to present day after taking the time to learn in detail about the funtion of the 1911 and critical dimensions that should be and not be. I have come to the conclustion that Taurus is a TURD even "for the money". How do I know? 1. The machining is garbage.
    2. On two of my guns the slide had deep gouges right where they supposedly maching the feed ramp. I returned both to have them replace both 1911 receivers, yes both receivers were replaced. On the third gun the barrel ramp looked like it had been dropped on a rock. Literally it had chips and large dents at the bottom portion of barrel ramp. The machining inside the throat is rediculous. I was so dissapointed. The breech lockup was already greater than 10thousands of an inch from the factoy. My understanding is that it should be less than 8thousands for sure. The safeties are poorly machined and ill fitted. Hell even the safety hit the grips. What a joke those guns are..... Don't even ge me started on the Taurus OSS .45. Be prepared to send it back to the facory at least once if not twice...I had been a Taurus fan for a while till these 4 guns. I didn't have the heart to telll my dad and friends who I also convinced to buy these crappy guns. What the hell... I don't understand why Taurus or any other type of gun company can't put a little bit of more effort into making something a bit better. I want a great 1911 that is not made with crappy steel from brazil or china or phillippines. I am leaning towards the STI Lawman or Trojan now. I don't want to spend more than 1500. I honestly don't think you should have to either to get something great for that. Why can sig or hk build great steel guns for far less but all the good 1911 companies charge 2-3 times that amount? Speaking of Sig is the quality of there 1911's comparable to STI?
    WOW, this person seems to be upset!!!! I've just purchased a used PT1911 and haven't been disappointed yet. Fired every time I pulled the trigger. No problems with safety hitting grip. Think I got the oddball of the bunch?

  6. #30
    brifol6111's Avatar
    brifol6111 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Davidson County, NC - USA
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhead1219 View Post
    WOW, this person seems to be upset!!!! I've just purchased a used PT1911 and haven't been disappointed yet. Fired every time I pulled the trigger. No problems with safety hitting grip. Think I got the oddball of the bunch?
    LOL, I thought of buying one when they first came out, but my gun store owner strongly discouraged it and told me that they had issues with the extractors breaking. I was able to pick up a used Kimber for the same price and I have never looked back.

  7. #31
    tekhead1219's Avatar
    tekhead1219 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    1,750
    I never would use it for self defense...got a Springfield XD45C for that. Just wanted an entry level 1911 (and that's what it is) for a change of pace. You need to be able to understand what you're getting (or could get) when you go entry level. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. I have no complaints.

  8. #32
    tekhead1219's Avatar
    tekhead1219 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    1,750
    Quote Originally Posted by brifol6111 View Post
    LOL, I thought of buying one when they first came out, but my gun store owner strongly discouraged it and told me that they had issues with the extractors breaking. I was able to pick up a used Kimber for the same price and I have never looked back.
    Show me where I can get a used Kimber for $475....PLEASE!!

  9. #33
    brifol6111's Avatar
    brifol6111 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Davidson County, NC - USA
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhead1219 View Post
    Show me where I can get a used Kimber for $475....PLEASE!!
    I really wish I could find another, my first Kimber, a Stainless Custom II, cost me $480.

  10. #34
    Shipwreck's Avatar
    Shipwreck is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Beretta City, Texas
    Posts
    10,724
    Well, I just ordered a Springfield fullrail custom Operator from the Springfield custom shop. Its sorta like the full rail TRP - but its basically a full rail version of the Springer Professional. But, I'm making some changes to it, and will have it hard chromed instead of going with the Black T finish.

    Now I gotta wait 10 months for it to be built.

  11. #35
    hideit's Avatar
    hideit is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    west chester ohio
    Posts
    1,498
    shipwreck: you gotta want that bad to wait that long

    all i can say is this is a very interesting thread

    thank goodness for new technology and the emphasis on improving reliability - for the prices of some of these gun discussed One could buy 4 XD's or Glocks or M&P's - what an interesting world

  12. #36
    Fred40 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    303
    Any? Probably a Springfield Professional.

  13. #37
    Fred40 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by brisk21 View Post
    springfield armory loaded target model in stainless with black serration inlays and black rubber grips. just because it is the best looking 1911 I have ever seen.
    That is the exact gun I recently purchased.....nice shooter also.

  14. #38
    Dredd is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    267
    My new Dan Wesson Classic Commander Bobtail. No MIM at all, Wolf Springs, and Ed Brown parts all around. Comes with night sights as well. Yellow rear and green front. Look at the slide to frame fit in that picture. Got it for $933. Quite a deal considering the competition in that price range.




  15. #39
    ttomp is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    50
    ed brown , WC or Nighthawk

  16. #40
    DevilsJohnson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,373
    An STI Trojan with the 6" bbl be nice more I think about it. I don't know thoug. I'm not really into the super high end 1911;s mainly because they tend to be more picky. I'm a guy that rather have one that I know will always feed and give up a little of group. You can get one to group pretty well at 25/50 yards and not lose the reliability. That Springer Ship is talking about getting would be really nice too...dang it...And the list goes on

  17. #41
    tekhead1219's Avatar
    tekhead1219 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    1,750
    Springfield TRP.

  18. #42
    oak1971's Avatar
    oak1971 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    354


    Make mine Baer

  19. #43
    KCabbage is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    52
    Definately a Wilson or Nighthawk in a officer sized frame for carry. Nice tight fitting slide there eh Dredd.

  20. #44
    Dredd is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by KCabbage View Post
    Definately a Wilson or Nighthawk in a officer sized frame for carry. Nice tight fitting slide there eh Dredd.
    Yeah...almost too tight really. Takes a lot of rounds to get it worked out heh.

  21. #45
    lostsoul is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In the wilds of Pa.
    Posts
    85

    Thumbs up

    I also,Les baer SRP.

  22. #46
    Teuthis is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    442
    How ironic that military special forces, swat teams and other specialists of the culture, seek and demand 1911 pistols in 45 ACP; while amateur, wanna-be gunfighters denegrate a fairly asked question with off-topic banter.

    I view a semi-automatic handgun as a close-range, defensive weapon. To that end my favorite 1911 is one that is loose and reliable, such as my Springfield Mil-spec, or a GI version from Springfield, Colt or other reputable companies. I see no real life context for a 1911 that is so tightly constructed that it may jam under fire. Loose and functional are the words. At close range the accuracy of the GI models, or Mil-specs is more than adequate.

  23. #47
    brisk21's Avatar
    brisk21 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    82
    Changed my mind. I want a Wilson Combat Master Grade 30th anniversery.

  24. #48
    brisk21's Avatar
    brisk21 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Teuthis View Post
    How ironic that military special forces, swat teams and other specialists of the culture, seek and demand 1911 pistols in 45 ACP; while amateur, wanna-be gunfighters denegrate a fairly asked question with off-topic banter.

    I view a semi-automatic handgun as a close-range, defensive weapon. To that end my favorite 1911 is one that is loose and reliable, such as my Springfield Mil-spec, or a GI version from Springfield, Colt or other reputable companies. I see no real life context for a 1911 that is so tightly constructed that it may jam under fire. Loose and functional are the words. At close range the accuracy of the GI models, or Mil-specs is more than adequate.
    There are plenty of "tight" custom 1911s that are as reliable as they come. you can have jams in any autopistol, reguardless of "tightness".

  25. #49
    paz
    paz is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    7
    did you not inspect the guns? i dont understand how you could buy 3 of them and never notice what sounds like some obvious problems.
    sucks if thats the case but id be thoroughly inspecting a gun prior to or upon taking ownership.
    Quote Originally Posted by my191145 View Post
    I just signed up so I could discourage any newby reading this from buying the crappy Taurus pistols. I bought 3 of their 1911's within a 1 year period. They seemed to be a good deal.... Fast forward to present day after taking the time to learn in detail about the funtion of the 1911 and critical dimensions that should be and not be. I have come to the conclustion that Taurus is a TURD even "for the money". How do I know? 1. The machining is garbage.
    2. On two of my guns the slide had deep gouges right where they supposedly maching the feed ramp. I returned both to have them replace both 1911 receivers, yes both receivers were replaced. On the third gun the barrel ramp looked like it had been dropped on a rock. Literally it had chips and large dents at the bottom portion of barrel ramp. The machining inside the throat is rediculous. I was so dissapointed. The breech lockup was already greater than 10thousands of an inch from the factoy. My understanding is that it should be less than 8thousands for sure. The safeties are poorly machined and ill fitted. Hell even the safety hit the grips. What a joke those guns are..... Don't even ge me started on the Taurus OSS .45. Be prepared to send it back to the facory at least once if not twice...I had been a Taurus fan for a while till these 4 guns. I didn't have the heart to telll my dad and friends who I also convinced to buy these crappy guns. What the hell... I don't understand why Taurus or any other type of gun company can't put a little bit of more effort into making something a bit better. I want a great 1911 that is not made with crappy steel from brazil or china or phillippines. I am leaning towards the STI Lawman or Trojan now. I don't want to spend more than 1500. I honestly don't think you should have to either to get something great for that. Why can sig or hk build great steel guns for far less but all the good 1911 companies charge 2-3 times that amount? Speaking of Sig is the quality of there 1911's comparable to STI?

  26. #50
    Teuthis is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    442
    Brisk 21, have you ever used a 1911 in combat, where it was dirty, soaked with water and mud? The loose, mil-spec ones will fire under those conditions. That's what they were made to do. The tigter, custom 1911s, and I have one, often will not. Perhaps that is why Mike naively considers them "range toys".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

1911 slide to frame fit

,
dan wesson 1911 commander
,

dan wesson commander

,

dan wesson specialist

,

dan wesson specialist stainless

,
ed brown bobtail
,
ed brown slide fit
,
kimber 1911 slide and frame fit
,
s&w 1911 slide to frame fit
,
springfield trp slide frame fit
,
sti lawman slide frame fit
,
sti slide-to-frame fit
Click on a term to search for related topics.