Obama's 23 Executive orders
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
Re: Obama's 23 Executive orders
I don't know if is call it a crock, I'm just glad of the limited scope.
Re: Obama's 23 Executive orders
Oh I meant the Executive order part of it. This dude has issued over 900 of them since he's been in
He bounced it to congress...Good.
Re: Obama's 23 Executive orders
No, he has not. He had somewhere around 130ish as of September...
Originally Posted by MikeT57
Here ya' go:
I am assuming, but Obama must have been briefed on trying to use executive orders to establish an outright gun control law. I believe that limit of the president was established in 1952 with The US Supreme Court rule against President Harry S. Truman’s executive order in the case of Youngstown Co vs. Sawyer. The President signed an executive order to seize the steel mills because a worker strike under the pretense of a steel worker strike is a threat to national security.
Justice Hugo Black in the Majority opinion said:
The mill owners argue that the President’s order amounts to lawmaking, a legislative function which the Constitution has expressly confided to the Congress and not to the President. The President’s power, if any, to issue the order must stem either from an act of Congress or from the Constitution itself. There is no statute that expressly authorizes the President to take possession of property as he did here. Nor is there any act of Congress to which our attention has been directed from which such a power can fairly be implied.
In other words an executive order can only be used when Congress is adjourned or for an existing law.
I also believe that the NRA made sure in the Affordable Care Act (i.e., Obamacare) certain restrictions were placed on what medical people can not ask people about guns. Obama's number 16 may end up in court.
He calls the NRA nut cakes for suggesting having armed guards’ in schools when in 1994 that was exactly what then Democratic President Clinton proposed after the Columbine incident. In actuality the system worked. The shooter in Connecticut tried to purchase a firearm one week before the shooting but was turned down. Somehow that gets lost in the discussion.
I am afraid that any sort of controls will only lead to the loss of the Second Amendment totally because at some point the wording (typical of laws) will be undefined; then the government will say a new category is covered (some court will agree) and then it eventually expands to full control. This tactic (that I call soft tyranny) is used in more than just gun control and typically is a ploy to play on people's heartstrings (e.g., protect kids and the 2nd Amendment or not to let anyone go hungry, etc.) so people give up some rights which eventually leads to total control by the government.
One only has to look at the Dept of Education started by President Carter. I can remember people questioning the need because it was a power granted by the Constitution to the States. Supposedly it was to remain only for monitoring. Today it has expanded to a 100 billion dollar agency that has its tentacles in every aspect of our children’s education including confiscation of a little girl’s lunch in North Carolina because it did not meet some government standard.
Remember he signed the EXECUTIVE ORDER using children on stage with him to make his emotional point to the American public when his children are PROTECTED by armed guards with large clips of ammo. We need the same protection his children have, for our families and children in "GUN FREE" zones. That is the point......same protection.
#14. WTF??? Doesn't CDC deal with DISEASES?
Thanks for the link VAMarine, very helpful in keeping it real.
Originally Posted by VAMarine
Maybe, this relates to mental illness.
Originally Posted by acepilot
Obama is a smooth talker during campaign times but he turned out to be misleading in all of his promises
Search tags for this page
can you have a gun on school property in iowa
executiveorders number16, gun control
obama 23 executive orders
powered by mybb american general insurance houston texas
powered by mybb consumer product safety improvement act
powered by mybb home improvement executive
powered by mybb in the act
powered by mybb law
powered by mybb law and order
powered by mybb totally free background check
Click on a term to search for related topics.
» Springfield Armory
» HGF Sponsors