Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    DanSandbergUCONN is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5

    CT / New York Issue

    Hi All - I signed up for the forum for a specific question just tonight. I googled the question with vague results so I apologize if this question is stupid.

    My father has a 9mm glock and a 0.22 target pistol, which are registered to him in NY. I'd like to have their permits transferred to me in connecticut so that I can take them to the local range, etc. I do own any guns nor do I have any licenses. My father is licensed completely legal in NY. Who do I talk to about transfering the permits with minimal cost? How do I go about it, etc? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

  2. #2
    VAMarine's Avatar
    VAMarine is online now Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,387
    Well, it's been a while since I reviewed CT statutes, but you don't "transfer" permits.

    In CT you need a permit to purchase, or a permit to carry (also covers purchase) you don't need a permit to possess a firearm unless I'm wrong (It happens), so if you are just borrowing the guns, all you need to do is travel with them in accordance to state law, usually this means guns empty in a container, preferably locked with the ammo stored separate; keeping guns and ammunition away from the driver etc.

  3. #3
    VAMarine's Avatar
    VAMarine is online now Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,387
    You can check out CT statutes on firearms etc. here: http://www.jud.ct.gov/LawLib/Law/firearms.htm

  4. #4
    DanSandbergUCONN is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by VAMarine View Post
    Well, it's been a while since I reviewed CT statutes, but you don't "transfer" permits.

    In CT you need a permit to purchase, or a permit to carry (also covers purchase) you don't need a permit to possess a firearm unless I'm wrong (It happens), so if you are just borrowing the guns, all you need to do is travel with them in accordance to state law, usually this means guns empty in a container, preferably locked with the ammo stored separate; keeping guns and ammunition away from the driver etc.
    Maybe it is that simple and my dad is overly cautious. He probably hasn't fired the guns in about 3-5 years or more and doesn't really have them prep-ed for home security, which is why I figure he'd probably be ready to give them over to me free of charge - the problem is he is a real stickler for the legality of it (which is a good thing IMO) but I remember he wouldn't have the guns in the car period unless he was on his way to or from the firing range, ammo locked in a separate box from the weapon, separate from the clips, etc.. So letting me take the guns interstate would take quite a bit of convincing on my part regarding the legality.

    If ownership of the guns could transfer to me then he'd be at peace. So I guess my question should have been, how do I transfer ownership permits for the weapons from someone in NY to somone in CT?

    Also, VAMarine - who do I talk to if I want to get the right to own/purchase permit? Just walk into a gun store? DMV? Town hall? I'm ignorant to this and apologize for my stupidity.

  5. #5
    VAMarine's Avatar
    VAMarine is online now Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,387
    Well...

    Again, you don't transfer ownership permits, unless that's some strange NY thing, most states don't even have anything of the sort.


    I don't know how "gifting" of guns from a parent to child works across state lines, are you a CT resident or NY resident?

    If you're a NY resident (Still have NY drivers license etc, but are just going to school in CT) I'm not even going to make an educated guess as to what needs to transpire to transfer the guns from father to son.

    Regarding the CT permits, if you are a NY resident, you can get your CT non-resident permit through the state police. If you are a CT resident, you start off by talking to your local chief of police and get your temp. permit...

    All the instructions/info for that can be found here:

    Special Licensing and Firearms/Connecticut State Pistol Permit

  6. #6
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VAMarine View Post
    Again, you don't transfer ownership permits, unless that's some strange NY thing, most states don't even have anything of the sort.
    IIRC from NY members talking about their permits, NY pistol permits have the guns you own listed on them and when you buy a new gun, you have to have your permit "amended" to reflect the new weapon. That may be what he's referring to.

    To the OP, call your local PD or State Police (whoever issues pistol permits) and they should be able to walk you through the process of getting your permit and on how to transfer the ownership of the guns. It's better to get the answer right from the people who issue the permits and, with the way your dad sounds, it would probably make him more at ease knowing you got the answer from the police than from the internet.

  7. #7
    DanSandbergUCONN is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    IIRC from NY members talking about their permits, NY pistol permits have the guns you own listed on them and when you buy a new gun, you have to have your permit "amended" to reflect the new weapon. That may be what he's referring to.

    To the OP, call your local PD or State Police (whoever issues pistol permits) and they should be able to walk you through the process of getting your permit and on how to transfer the ownership of the guns. It's better to get the answer right from the people who issue the permits and, with the way your dad sounds, it would probably make him more at ease knowing you got the answer from the police than from the internet.
    Right thats what I'm talking about - how the permits have the guns listed on them. I'm a CT resident now. Anyway, i'll check with the PD. Thanks!

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can you travel from new york to connecticut with a new york linsenced pistol
,

how do i transfer a handgun from new york state to connecticut

,
how transfer gun license from ct to pa
,
how would a ct resident apply for a ny pistol permit
,
moving to new york city fro ct with guns
,
ny resident ct pistol license
,
time to get connecticut non resident pistol permit
,

transfer ct pistol permit to ny

,

transfer guns from ny to ct

,
transfer of firearms in ct
,
transferring ny state permit to ct state
,
what you need to do to transfer a firearm from ny to ct
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1