Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Dynamik1's Avatar
    Dynamik1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pittsboro, NC
    Posts
    281

    1st Time IDPA-type shoot

    There is a wildlife club in Durham, NC that hosts a Tuesday night pistol shoot. It's usually IDPA style, but very informal. On a whim I decided to give it a try tonight. Came straight from work in khaki's and loafers LOL! I had a great time and ended up 11th or 12th out of 15, so not the WORST in the bunch - haha! Hopefully if I continue to shoot in events like this my scores and times will improve. Learned a lot of important lessons, made a few mistakes but came away a lot more relaxed and happy than when I got there.

  2. #2
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamik1 View Post
    There is a wildlife club in Durham, NC that hosts a Tuesday night pistol shoot. It's usually IDPA style, but very informal. On a whim I decided to give it a try tonight. Came straight from work in khaki's and loafers LOL! I had a great time and ended up 11th or 12th out of 15, so not the WORST in the bunch - haha! Hopefully if I continue to shoot in events like this my scores and times will improve. Learned a lot of important lessons, made a few mistakes but came away a lot more relaxed and happy than when I got there.
    That's great! I look forward to getting into something like this some day (when I live in a house and not an apartment, have a reloading setup, and have a job ). Sounds like fun!

    -Jeff-

  3. #3
    Ram Rod's Avatar
    Ram Rod is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Washington county, arkansas
    Posts
    1,026
    IDPA, IPSC, are usually informal. You're supposed to have fun, be safe, and test yourself, as well as gain some practical knowledge and learn how to move and engage targets. Nothing more, nothing less. I've done a few matches, and I take them rather seriously. Gamers are gamers, and one should never go thinking to be competitive. After some experience, you can choose to go that route if you choose. A good reason these types of matches are considered 'practical pistol'. Some of your good habits can be made there. Better than standing at the range with that stationary target for 200 rounds.

  4. #4
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Some of your good habits can be made there. Better than standing at the range with that stationary target for 200 rounds.
    This is the exact reason why I look forward to getting into something like this. Shooting on the move is very practical versus standing at a lane at the range.

    -Jeff-

  5. #5
    tekhead1219's Avatar
    tekhead1219 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    1,750
    Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    This is the exact reason why I look forward to getting into something like this. Shooting on the move is very practical versus standing at a lane at the range.

    -Jeff-
    I agree. The local range I shoot at has an IDPA style shoot on Thursday nights. I say style because it's an indoor range so can't do the same amount of movement as an IDPA range, although there is movement from lane to lane. Going to start IDPA at another range tonight that is an outdoor range. Witnessed a shoot last week and looks like fun so I'm going to give it a try. Had to wait until now due to south Texas summers and mosquito's make outdoor ranges impractical. Especially those danged mosquito's. Big as buzzards.

  6. #6
    JeffWard's Avatar
    JeffWard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    St Pete Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,932
    My first "official" IPSC match is tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it. Sounds like just that, a great bunch of guys, and a few women, having a lot of fun.

    Even shooting 45ACP, at $.30 per squeeze, they suggest 150 rounds, usually shoot about 115-120 depending on the setups. It's $36 in ammo ($18 in 9mm), and $12 to shoot... Same price as a decent round of golf, and usually runs from 9am to 1pm shooting 6 stages. He said usually 4-6 guys per stage, in rotating groups, so I figure 30-40 guys.

    I'm a hyper-competitive nut, but I will be going tomorrow just to learn. Start shooting a little slower, and build my way up.

    Knowing me, I'll be shooting Open Division within 6 months... Anybody got a good race gun they wanna sell??? LOL

    Jeff

  7. #7
    FlaChef's Avatar
    FlaChef is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhead1219 View Post
    I say style because it's an indoor range so can't do the same amount of movement as an IDPA range, although there is movement from lane to lane. Going to start IDPA at another range tonight that is an outdoor range.
    I know 2 IDPA affiliated clubs around here that run official matches at indoor ranges, heck one of them held the 2006 FL state championship match with 10 staged over two days (three were low light stages with lights off, you can't do that outdoors). It can be done. Stage design just has to keep muzzle safe points in mind.

  8. #8
    Tombstone17's Avatar
    Tombstone17 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    56
    Yes I was told that slow is fast then work on doing it right the speed will come with muscle memory!

  9. #9
    DJ Niner's Avatar
    DJ Niner is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North-Central USA
    Posts
    4,339
    Sometimes speed is a relative thing. A friend and I shot the first IDPA match of the season last weekend, on an outdoor range about 85 miles away. Clawing your gun out of an IWB holster under a coat and fleece pullover, while wearing thin gloves to keep frostbite at bay; well, let's just say it'll affect your times/scores.

    Here's a pic of my buddy shooting (barehanded, that macho guy!), with one of the steel cowboy-type targets outlined against a tree:



    Here's a shot of my car dashboard while I was warming up between stages; you can see other shooters standing around talking as they wait to shoot:



    Lunchtime on a beautiful balmy almost-spring day...


    .

  10. #10
    macgulley is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Opelika, AL
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Niner View Post
    Sometimes speed is a relative thing. A friend and I shot the first IDPA match of the season last weekend, on an outdoor range about 85 miles away. Clawing your gun out of an IWB holster under a coat and fleece pullover, while wearing thin gloves to keep frostbite at bay; well, let's just say it'll affect your times/scores.

    Here's a pic of my buddy shooting (barehanded, that macho guy!), with one of the steel cowboy-type targets outlined against a tree:



    .

    Looks like fun!

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

durham idpa

,
durham nc idpa
,
durham wildlife club idpa
,

durham wildlife idpa

,

idpa

,
idpa durham
,

idpa durham nc

,

idpa range setup

,
idpa range setups
,

idpa style shooting

,
idpa type shoots
,
idpa, durham, nc
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1