My first IPSC match this weekend...

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 22
    1. #1
      Senior Member JeffWard's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      St Pete Beach, FL
      Posts
      1,932

      My first IPSC match this weekend...

      Wish me luck, and range report coming Monday.

      I'll be shooting my XD45 in Production Class (a disadvantage, since there is no power factor classification in Production), but I think I'll be okay. Picked up a Blackhawk Serpa today, and the draw stroke is smooth as glass... Practice, practice, practice.

      I spoke to the "Discipline Supervisor" (ie head of the IPSC/USPSA competiton at the range) and he gave me some pointers, and suggested I come give it a go this Saturday.

      Anyone in the Orlando area, come on out and join me! It's $12, and about 150 rounds or ammo.

      If I enjoy it, maybe a good reason to pick up a XD9 Tactical... LOL

      Jeff

    2. #2
      Member funkypunk97's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Posts
      208
      Good luck!

      I hope to hit my local USPSA or IDPA match eventually...... first I'd like to get a lot better so I can make it interesting.....

    3. #3
      Senior Member JeffWard's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      St Pete Beach, FL
      Posts
      1,932
      Remember... MOST of the targets are man-sized, 45cm by 75cm, and at about 3-7 yards. You may not score a lot of A-Zone hits, but you can hit them... The accuracy is the "easier part" for beginners. It's drawing and shooting, and shooting on the move, which you cannot practice at most ranges... that is the challenge.

      I'm practicing mostly draw-stroke, and speed reloads this week. I'll also run about 100 rounds through my XD45, with the lighter trigger than my XD9SC that I've been shooting more... and dry-firing a lot.

      At $15/hundred cheaper, and in the same class... shooting 150 rounds per match... I'm spending $22.50 per match MORE shooting a 45ACP... or a new $500 gun every 22 matches... Plus practice ammo... Good reason to buy another gun... XD9 Tactical... LOL

    4. #4
      Senior Member BeefyBeefo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      CO
      Posts
      2,873
      That sounds like fun! And yea, a 9mm would definitely be much more economical. How about a bi-tone service?

      -Jeff-

    5. #5
      TOF
      TOF is offline
      Senior Member TOF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Location
      Northern Arizona
      Posts
      3,015
      Your thinking is quite correct Jeff. You can pay for a new gun in less than a year by shooting a 9MM most of the time.

      I chose to go Limited even though I use a stock M&P40 so I can score major. If you have a lot of shooters in production you can judge yourself by then what you are doing is perhaps the best for someone new to the game.

      We only have 20 to 30 total at our shoots so shooting production automaticaly puts you in last place overall.

      Although I will never be competative with the topend shooters I do occasionaly end up in mid pack overall. That helps my Ego more than having to say I came in last.

      Enjoy the game and learn in the process.

    6. #6
      Member Willy D's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Location
      Chesterton, IN
      Posts
      173
      Another advantage to the 9 is the control factor over the gun...I went and watched a match several months ago...All the guys were shooting 9...alot of them handload and load down on the lower end of power..that gives even more recoil control..then if they use a compensator, even more control...I have been busy every weekend since then...I was all prepped to go this past saturday to an all steel match but it got cancelled...

      I too bought a blackhawk serpa for my XD's (45 and 9 and 40 will all fit it)...I also bought a 3 pack mag with a holder at my gun shop for $49.99. That gave me three extra mags and now I have two holders, so I can have one in the gun and four on the belt...

      Willy

    7. #7
      Senior Member JeffWard's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      St Pete Beach, FL
      Posts
      1,932
      Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
      Your thinking is quite correct Jeff. You can pay for a new gun in less than a year by shooting a 9MM most of the time.

      I chose to go Limited even though I use a stock M&P40 so I can score major. If you have a lot of shooters in production you can judge yourself by then what you are doing is perhaps the best for someone new to the game.

      We only have 20 to 30 total at our shoots so shooting production automaticaly puts you in last place overall.

      Although I will never be competative with the topend shooters I do occasionaly end up in mid pack overall. That helps my Ego more than having to say I came in last.

      Enjoy the game and learn in the process.
      I was thinking just that... staying with the 45, puts me in Major, in the Limited Division. I assume most of the shooters will be shooting Production, but I will find out Saturday. Now I just need to read up on what toys I can add in Limited... LOL

    8. #8
      Member undrgrnd's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      South East, Tx
      Posts
      252
      Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
      Your thinking is quite correct Jeff. You can pay for a new gun in less than a year by shooting a 9MM most of the time..
      maybe I'm reading all of tgis wrong but am I going to have to replace my 9mm. or are we just stating you can save money by shooting 9mm. I'm confused.

    9. #9
      TOF
      TOF is offline
      Senior Member TOF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Location
      Northern Arizona
      Posts
      3,015
      Quote Originally Posted by undrgrnd View Post
      maybe I'm reading all of tgis wrong but am I going to have to replace my 9mm. or are we just stating you can save money by shooting 9mm. I'm confused.
      9MM ammo is considerably less expensive than .40, .45 etc. so you can save money.

    10. #10
      Member undrgrnd's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      South East, Tx
      Posts
      252
      thanks for the explanation. I realized it was a dumb question after it posted.

    11. #11
      Senior Member Mike Barham's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2006
      Location
      Arizona, baby!
      Posts
      5,081
      You will want to shoot fast. Resist the temptation. Shoot only as fast as you can hit. Shoot smoothly, at your natural body speed, and only as fast as you can get a sight picture (or index) sufficient to get the hits you need.

      Do not run flat-out from shooting position to shooting position, but rather move smoothly enough that you are ready to fire as soon as you get to the next firing point.

      Learn to reload on the move. You can do this in your home.

      Be cognizant of the safety rules, breaking the 180, finger discipline, etc. You'll have a lot to think about in a long run-n-gun scenario, and it can be easy to concentrate so much on the shooting problem that gunhandling is neglected.
      Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

      Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

      All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

    12. #12
      TOF
      TOF is offline
      Senior Member TOF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Location
      Northern Arizona
      Posts
      3,015
      Quote Originally Posted by undrgrnd View Post
      thanks for the explanation. I realized it was a dumb question after it posted.
      If you don't understand ask. Most of us don't mind answering basic questions. It's only when someone tries unnecessarily jerking our chain that we get irate. Then look out.

      Enjoy

    13. #13
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jul 2006
      Posts
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
      It's only when someone tries unnecessarily jerking our chain that we get irate. Then look out.
      Whatever do you mean?

    14. #14
      Senior Member Ram Rod's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Washington county, arkansas
      Posts
      1,026
      Good luck, be safe, have fun!

    15. #15
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Kentucky
      Posts
      3,373
      Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
      It's only when someone tries unnecessarily jerking our chain that we get irate. Then look out.
      heh,,,uuummmmmm...yup..what he said



    16. #16
      Member Spartan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2006
      Posts
      635
      How can I find out of any of those matches near me?

      Can anyone join?

    17. #17
      Senior Member Mike Barham's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2006
      Location
      Arizona, baby!
      Posts
      5,081
      Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
      How can I find out of any of those matches near me?

      Can anyone join?
      http://uspsa.org/
      http://idpa.com/
      Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

      Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

      All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

    18. #18
      Senior Member JeffWard's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      St Pete Beach, FL
      Posts
      1,932
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
      You will want to shoot fast. Resist the temptation. Shoot only as fast as you can hit. Shoot smoothly, at your natural body speed, and only as fast as you can get a sight picture (or index) sufficient to get the hits you need.

      Do not run flat-out from shooting position to shooting position, but rather move smoothly enough that you are ready to fire as soon as you get to the next firing point.

      Learn to reload on the move. You can do this in your home.

      Be cognizant of the safety rules, breaking the 180, finger discipline, etc. You'll have a lot to think about in a long run-n-gun scenario, and it can be easy to concentrate so much on the shooting problem that gunhandling is neglected.

      That's what I figure. Score is based on points (hit value) per second, so speed is a factor, but the difference between an A-Zone hit (5 points), and a C-Zone hit (3 points) is 2 seconds in time... RIGHT????

      If it takes me 5 more seconds, to score 5 more A's than C's (10 points), with controlled pairs as opposed to double-taps, my score goes up...

      I've been practicing reloads a lot, from a empty mag/slide-lock, dropping the mag, and trying to get the new mag seated before the empty hits the ground... It takes coordination, but it definately can be done.

      The mag is dropped as the left hand moves to the mag holder. The new mag is pulled with the index finger on the front-strap side of the mag. The new mag is fed at eye level, as the thumb moves from mag release to slide release. As the left hand rewraps the grip, the slide drops, and the front sight is already on the next target. I can reload blind now... while moving, with the gun at "medium-ready" about chest height. Just have to watch not to step on your own mags..... Almost did that twice.

      The gun stays down range at all times, the trigger finger is on the farme until the slide is released, and the eyes are on the course/next target at all times... I've been watching film... Jarrett, Koenig... learning...

      Jeff

    19. #19
      Banned BigMatt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      Location
      White Hall Ar.
      Posts
      137
      Sounds complicated. But fun.

    20. #20
      Junior Member Tombstone17's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Posts
      56
      If I understand the IDPA rules The XDm will put you from the SSP class to ESP class. And you can only have one mag holder( double holder) on your belt but you can put addtional mags in your clothes. I don't want to look like a know it all but I am just trying to understand the rules.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Sponsored Links

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  

    Search tags for this page

    can i shoot uspsa with a xd45
    ,
    ipsc florida ruskin
    ,
    ipsc matches in tampa fl
    ,
    ipsc rounds per match
    ,
    ipsc shooting october 2 ruskin fl
    ,
    pimped ipsc glock 19 pics
    ,
    taurus 1911 compensator
    ,

    uspsa first saturday match tampa

    ,
    uspsa with xd45
    ,
    what to wear for ipsc shooting
    ,

    what to wear ipsc

    ,
    what to wear ipsc matches
    Click on a term to search for related topics.