Extreme Custom Colt Defender

    Results 1 to 14 of 14
    1. #1
      Junior Member trose49's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      Posts
      12

      Extreme Custom Colt Defender

      Just picked up my Custom Colt Defender from www.jojosgunworks.com

      They are local to me and do incredible work! Jody out did himself on this one!

      Before:


      After:







      Few More:






    2. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      34

      Very nice!

      Very nice, trose49. How about some details to go with those wonderful pictures? The slide cuts and re-profiling are very interesting. While obviously cool cosmetically, how do they impact the operation of the pistol? How much weight lose? What about cycle time and reliability? Did the 'smith have to adjust the spring rates because of the weight reduction? Grips? Finish? And so on...

      Very impressive looking pistol. I just had Esmeralda restock my otherwise stock Defender with "Ivorywood" Celtic carved grips. It now looks like a pimp piece. (Tee Hee. I love it!) I'd love to hear from you how your mods are working out operationally.

      Again, thanks for the wonderful pictures.

      Echo 7 Charlie

    3. #3
      Senior Member Steve M1911A1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Northwest Washington State
      Posts
      7,534
      While the work looks very nicely done, I question the addition of a magazine-well funnel. Why wasn't it enough to merely file a bevel on the existing edges of the magazine well?

      The reason for asking this question is to bring up a small point: The barrel of a pistol is the easiest thing in the world to conceal. Just stick it down your pants, metaphorically speaking.
      The hard part to cover up is the grip. That's the part which needs to be as small and as short as possible.
      But here's a small, short-gripped pistol whose handle has now been lengthened to the size of a larger pistol's (specifically a Commander).
      What's the benefit in that?

    4. #4
      Junior Member trose49's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      Posts
      12
      Quote Originally Posted by GySgt1811 View Post
      Very nice, trose49. How about some details to go with those wonderful pictures? The slide cuts and re-profiling are very interesting. While obviously cool cosmetically, how do they impact the operation of the pistol? How much weight lose? What about cycle time and reliability? Did the 'smith have to adjust the spring rates because of the weight reduction? Grips? Finish? And so on...

      Very impressive looking pistol. I just had Esmeralda restock my otherwise stock Defender with "Ivorywood" Celtic carved grips. It now looks like a pimp piece. (Tee Hee. I love it!) I'd love to hear from you how your mods are working out operationally.

      Again, thanks for the wonderful pictures.

      Echo 7 Charlie
      I will post a full list of mods soon. Functionally the gun had one FTF in the first 50 rounds but was due to being dry. I wasnt quite sure how much lube to use and I never owned a 1911. After the FTF I noticed the slide seemed tight coming back. A little lube and Fired 200 rounds with no issues.

      My second outing was more eventful! 3 rounds fired and the Guide pad shatters! The gun was on the recall list for this exact problem from Colt. Found out the hard way!

      I made a call to Colt and was able to pick up the replacement part the next day. Great CS at Colt!

      The spring is factory and had not been altered.

      Short List of Mods:

      Full Reliability Package
      Nickle Teflon Plated (stock) Barrel Polished to Mirror Finish
      Ed Brown Beaver Tail
      Custom (REAL) Carbon Fiber Grips (One Offs)
      Safety Changed
      Hammer Changed
      STI Trigger at 4.25 lbs./ Matching Sear
      Custom Cut Slide
      Mag Well (hand blended and Checkered)
      Checkered front Grip
      Custom Novak/Trijicon-Night Sites
      Wilson Combat Mag
      Sniper Grey CEREKOTE (Frame/Slide)

      Ill post all the details but that's most of it.

      Glad you like it! I sure do!

    5. #5
      Junior Member trose49's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      Posts
      12
      Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
      While the work looks very nicely done, I question the addition of a magazine-well funnel. Why wasn't it enough to merely file a bevel on the existing edges of the magazine well?

      What's the benefit in that?
      Very valid point Steve. Two reasons really.


      (1) I like to shoot tactical and wanted the ease and speed of mag changes for that purpose.
      (2) The gun is so small that the Mag Well extension actually fits my hand much better.

      Im a fairly big guy 6' 2" 220lbs and the gun is small and easy to conceal (even with Magwell) so it's a non issue.

    6. #6
      Senior Member Steve M1911A1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Northwest Washington State
      Posts
      7,534
      Thanks for the helpful explanation.

    7. #7
      Junior Member trose49's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      Posts
      12
      Your Welcome

      Brought the Defender to the Range today with the replacement (recalled) spring assembly. Fire approx 150 rounds of UMC .45 Auto without any issues. 2-4 inch groups with many many Bullseyes

    8. #8
      Junior Member trose49's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      Posts
      12
      Another 300 rounds no issues!

    9. #9
      Junior Member watsoncb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      Falls Church, VA
      Posts
      36

      Custom Defender

      I did not do as much customization of my Defender, but I did a "bunch". All the work was done by Novaks in West Viginia. I highly recommend their workmanship and quality.






      The work done included:

      Crown Barrel
      Replace All Springs (Recoil, Firing Pin, Main, Sear, & Plunger Tube Springs)
      Novak Front and Rear Sight
      N.M. Barrel Bushing
      Carry Bevel Treatment
      Novak Hammer Kit (Cmdr Style Hammer)
      Fit Extended Beavertail Grip Safety
      Fit Aluminum Trigger
      Bevel Magazine Well
      Bead blast upper slide surfaces
      High Cut and Checker Front Strap 20x20 Lpi
      Lower & Scallop Ejection Port
      Refinish frame, anodized black
      Last edited by watsoncb; 08-22-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Spelling kills.

    10. #10
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Kentucky
      Posts
      3,373
      That is a right fine looking pistol. The grips are fantastic on that one. And I usually don't like lighter color wood on stainless frames or slides. But here it works real well.

    11. #11
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Kentucky
      Posts
      3,373
      Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
      While the work looks very nicely done, I question the addition of a magazine-well funnel. Why wasn't it enough to merely file a bevel on the existing edges of the magazine well?

      The reason for asking this question is to bring up a small point: The barrel of a pistol is the easiest thing in the world to conceal. Just stick it down your pants, metaphorically speaking.
      The hard part to cover up is the grip. That's the part which needs to be as small and as short as possible.
      But here's a small, short-gripped pistol whose handle has now been lengthened to the size of a larger pistol's (specifically a Commander).
      What's the benefit in that?
      Those mag well funnels are great if you are competing and need to reload fast and without looking. I have one on a Springer 1911 9mm. I didn't think it's liek it at first but it's really pretty nice feel.

    12. #12
      Junior Member trose49's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      Posts
      12
      Quote Originally Posted by watsoncb View Post
      I did not do as much customization of my Defender, but I did a "bunch". All the work was done by Novaks in West Viginia. I highly recommend their workmanship and quality.






      The work done included:

      Crown Barrel
      Replace All Springs (Recoil, Firing Pin, Main, Sear, & Plunger Tube Springs)
      Novak Front and Rear Sight
      N.M. Barrel Bushing
      Carry Bevel Treatment
      Novak Hammer Kit (Cmdr Style Hammer)
      Fit Extended Beavertail Grip Safety
      Fit Aluminum Trigger
      Bevel Magazine Well
      Bead blast upper slide surfaces
      High Cut and Checker Front Strap 20x20 Lpi
      Lower & Scallop Ejection Port
      Refinish frame, anodized black
      Very nice! Curious about the spring replacements as to my knowledge knowone makes replacments other then colt. Do you have any more info on this?

    13. #13
      Junior Member Josser's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Posts
      87

      Price for Custom Work

      Just curious as to what these custom jobs costs you. Picking up a Colt Defender in the next week. Thanks, Jerry

    14. #14
      Junior Member trose49's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      Posts
      12
      Quote Originally Posted by Josser View Post
      Just curious as to what these custom jobs costs you. Picking up a Colt Defender in the next week. Thanks, Jerry

      Keep in mind of course it all depends how much you do and the gunsmiths time.

      I would expect to pay 300-500 for a reliability package. Which usually includes throating and crowning the barrel adjusting ejector among other things.

      My "Extreme" was close to $1,800 in mods but I was able to get a great deal due to the timing and willingness to wait until it was done without much of a time limit. I was willing to wait a year and pay a little at a time which. Worked out perfect.

      Each gunsmith has there charges for basic mods.

      Something like my Defender I'm sure would gave been a small fortune from most shops.

      I would highly recommend you call Jody at www.jojosgunworks.com and get your defender to him. The skys the limit and at a very very fair price!!!

    Sponsored Links

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  

    Search tags for this page

    colt defender accessories
    ,
    colt defender custom
    ,

    colt defender custom grips

    ,
    colt defender custom parts
    ,
    colt defender custom work
    ,
    colt defender mods
    ,
    colt defender threaded barrel
    ,
    colt defender upgrades
    ,

    custom colt defender

    ,
    custom grips colt defender
    ,
    custom grips for colt defender
    ,
    customized colt defender
    Click on a term to search for related topics.