Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: The Big Change

  1. #1
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,301

    The Big Change

    I just can't comfortably and accurately shoot a small and concealable .45 any longer. Arthritis is winning.
    So today I've begun the changeover to something less painful to my hands.

    Probably from now on, my EDC is going to be a Colt's M.1903 Pocket Hammerless in .380 ACP.
    I'll be carrying it at about "4:00," in a OWB holster by Ed Buffaloe, on a Galco contoured belt, with either a Safariland clip-on (in a pocket) or a Galco (on the belt) magazine carrier for the reload.
    The outfit conceals well under the vest I normally wear, winter and summer. (It doesn't get particularly warm, up here.)

    The old gun is beautifully accurate and very dependable. Hollow-point bullets feed reliably.
    According to last weekend's shooting practice, I can easily make quick head shots at 20 yards, and nice, tight center-of-mass groups.
    Best of all: No pain.

    We're going to a chamber-music concert, tonight. I'll see if anyone notices my new OWB rig.

    Maybe I should change my forum name. Or maybe not: I haven't carried a M1911 for the past eight years.

  2. #2
    chessail77's Avatar
    chessail77 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    White Mtns. in AZ
    Posts
    1,349
    Steve
    If you remember Geritol and Carters little liver pills I am right there with ya .......JJ

  3. #3
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,301
    Quote Originally Posted by chessail77 View Post
    Steve
    If you remember Geritol and Carters little liver pills I am right there with ya .......JJ
    ...and don't forget "Serutan: 'Nature's,' spelled backwards."

  4. #4
    berettabone is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,366
    ....and Milk of Magnesia.......

  5. #5
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,301
    ...Actually, I don't need Geritol, Carter's Little Liver Pills, Serutan, or Milk of Magnesia...or even that daily tablespoonful of cod-liver oil our mothers gave us, for that matter.
    Instead, I now have Mother Nature's very own preferred anęsthesia: Bourbon whiskey.
    Arthritis pain? Who cares?
    Jush don' expec' me to make mush senshe, 'at's all.

    And at my age, good sense really isn't expected anyway.

  6. #6
    TedDeBearFrmHell's Avatar
    TedDeBearFrmHell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    ...Actually, I don't need Geritol, Carter's Little Liver Pills, Serutan, or Milk of Magnesia...or even that daily tablespoonful of cod-liver oil our mothers gave us, for that matter.
    Instead, I now have Mother Nature's very own preferred anęsthesia: Bourbon whiskey.
    Arthritis pain? Who cares?
    Jush don' expec' me to make mush senshe, 'at's all.

    And at my age, good sense really isn't expected anyway.
    just had a bourbon myself, lamenting the end of my carry days. the move has dropped me dead center of a county that is not issuing ANY ccw permits and california has banned open carry.... i went from heaven to california .....

    as for your choice of a new carry piece, i think its top notch... and we know its not the size of the hole, its where you put the hole!

  7. #7
    berettabone is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,366
    Sometimes, a bit of Makers Mark does the trick, for a while anyway....

  8. #8
    niadhf's Avatar
    niadhf is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rural New York
    Posts
    1,196

    The Big Change

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    ...Actually, I don't need Geritol, Carter's Little Liver Pills, Serutan, or Milk of Magnesia...or even that daily tablespoonful of cod-liver oil our mothers gave us, for that matter.
    Instead, I now have Mother Nature's very own preferred anęsthesia: Bourbon whiskey.
    Arthritis pain? Who cares?
    Jush don' expec' me to make mush senshe, 'at's all.

    And at my age, good sense really isn't expected anyway.
    But straight shooting is!
    I have recently rediscovered just how noce it is to carry my Makarov. This was a primary Cary for quite a bit, until things like competition and more ammo or bigger holes bece options. This summer I put it in my Grandfather Oak Hidden Companion for a day or two as cyatica was acting up with the double stack 9. I ended up carrying it for apathy steady. And soooo sweet to shoot!
    Now good luck on remembering WHERE you are carrying Steve!

  9. #9
    hideit's Avatar
    hideit is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    west chester ohio
    Posts
    1,498
    dont change your forum name
    if you do don't change your pic
    i would loose you in the posts and your insights would be lost
    that would be a shame
    so 1911 is what you love and you changed guns - so what
    I am 63 and shot a lot of guns and have owned toooo many. I too have experienced recoil that i didn't like so I got a keltec p32 - i will keep this for collection purposes but really have a desire to get back to the 380 but this time I am looking at the beretta cheetah or the bersa thunder - too bad Colt doesn't reproduce the M.1903 Pocket Hammerless in .380 ACP

  10. #10
    Tip
    Tip is online now Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    76

    The Big Change

    Take a look at the Sig P238 - especially if you come from the 1911 ranks - sweet little shooter - solid Sig build.

  11. #11
    Bisley's Avatar
    Bisley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    Bourbon whiskey.
    And I had you figured for single malt scotch. Ah, well, bourbon is good, too, and much cheaper.

  12. #12
    berettabone is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,366
    I carry a Bodyguard .380 w/laser.......has eaten everything i've fed it.......not that the sights are great on the Bodyguard, but the sights on my FORMER Cheetah fs that I traded for an SR40, are terrible....nice firearm, but a bit too large and heavy for carry...I front pocket carry.
    Quote Originally Posted by hideit View Post
    dont change your forum name
    if you do don't change your pic
    i would loose you in the posts and your insights would be lost
    that would be a shame
    so 1911 is what you love and you changed guns - so what
    I am 63 and shot a lot of guns and have owned toooo many. I too have experienced recoil that i didn't like so I got a keltec p32 - i will keep this for collection purposes but really have a desire to get back to the 380 but this time I am looking at the beretta cheetah or the bersa thunder - too bad Colt doesn't reproduce the M.1903 Pocket Hammerless in .380 ACP

  13. #13
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,301
    Quote Originally Posted by TedDeBearFrmHell View Post
    just had a bourbon myself, lamenting the end of my carry days. the move has dropped me dead center of a county that is not issuing ANY ccw permits and california has banned open carry.... i went from heaven to california ...
    As I said: "Into the jaws of death; into the mouth of Hell."
    Where the heck are you? Los Angeles? (Shudder!)


    Quote Originally Posted by niadhf View Post
    ...Now good luck on remembering WHERE you are carrying Steve!
    Good point.
    Now then, where did I put my glasses?
    (Ed Buffaloe's holster rides snug and close, is extremely comfortable for the entire day, and just about disappears beneath my usual vest. No problems at last night's concert. Let's see what happens today, at the cardiologist's.)


    Quote Originally Posted by hideit View Post
    ...[T]oo bad Colt doesn't reproduce the M.1903 Pocket Hammerless in .380 ACP
    They're certainly easy to find used. Look at GunBroker, where I found mine. It wasn't terribly expensive, either, since I wanted a good shooter, not a pristine collector's piece.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tip View Post
    Take a look at the Sig P238 - especially if you come from the 1911 ranks - sweet little shooter - solid Sig build.
    The SIG will always carry the stigma, in my mind, of having originally been designed by a Spanish gunmaker (Star—Echeverria).
    Although the SIG is a little shorter in both dimensions than my Colt, the M.1903 is much smoother. Thus it carries and draws much more conveniently, particularly if I ever switch back to pocket carry.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bisley View Post
    And I had you figured for single malt scotch. Ah, well, bourbon is good, too, and much cheaper.
    I was raised on Scotch.
    But since I now drink only for the anęsthetic effect, rather than for the flavor, Bourbon does quite well for me.

  14. #14
    chessail77's Avatar
    chessail77 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    White Mtns. in AZ
    Posts
    1,349
    Still love my single malt scotch......JJ

  15. #15
    TedDeBearFrmHell's Avatar
    TedDeBearFrmHell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    As I said: "Into the jaws of death; into the mouth of Hell."
    Where the heck are you? Los Angeles? (Shudder!)
    i am in the central valley in merced county, near a town called turlock

  16. #16
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,301
    Ah, yes—Turlock. I've driven through it many times.

    You've moved to the wrong county, man.
    Just a little further north, and you'd've been in Sacramento: they now issue carry permits there.
    And then there are all of the so-called "cow counties" along Highway 49, all with really gun-friendly sheriffs.
    Merced, too, used to be pretty gun-friendly. I guess it's getting gentrified and all Kalifornicated.

    You have my sympathy, and my sincere hope that you can gracefully exit northward, sometime very soon.

  17. #17
    TedDeBearFrmHell's Avatar
    TedDeBearFrmHell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    Ah, yes—Turlock. I've driven through it many times.

    You've moved to the wrong county, man.
    Just a little further north, and you'd've been in Sacramento: they now issue carry permits there.
    And then there are all of the so-called "cow counties" along Highway 49, all with really gun-friendly sheriffs.
    Merced, too, used to be pretty gun-friendly. I guess it's getting gentrified and all Kalifornicated.

    You have my sympathy, and my sincere hope that you can gracefully exit northward, sometime very soon.
    i am stuck in the county and the state and the job for 3 years... made a commitment for that long... so in about 1090 days i will be longing to move north again

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

ccw merced county

,
merced ccw
,
merced county ccw
,
owb holster for 1903 colt hammerless
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1