View Poll Results: Do you carry at church?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    100 66.23%
  • No

    51 33.77%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 102
  1. #41
    zhurdan's Avatar
    zhurdan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by vernpriest View Post
    I am a church Board member and in charge of our church security. Our team includes several armed individuals. Our church pays for some of our training. We have a very securty minded Pastor, oh yeah were just outside Detroit too!
    You and your team don't happen to moonlight at one of America's biggest Malls do you?


    jk


    Zhur

  2. #42
    ORYGUN's Avatar
    ORYGUN is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    62

    at church

    I carry everywhere that is legal...

  3. #43
    Atroxus is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    64
    I don't carry at church because I don't attend, so I voted no. I also don't carry most other times either though because my employer does not allow weapons on company property. So if I really wanted to carry on work days I would have to park off-site, and leave my gun in my car. Leaving a gun unattended in a car for 8+ hours seems like a bad idea to me. I also walk with a cane due to a motorcycle accident beginning of this year so parking off-site isn't all that appealing either. I have been tempted to see if there is any way I could get around this rule, but I have a feeling that since it is private property that there is nothing I can do about it without risking my job.

  4. #44
    kg333's Avatar
    kg333 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by Atroxus View Post
    I don't carry at church because I don't attend, so I voted no. I also don't carry most other times either though because my employer does not allow weapons on company property. So if I really wanted to carry on work days I would have to park off-site, and leave my gun in my car. Leaving a gun unattended in a car for 8+ hours seems like a bad idea to me. I also walk with a cane due to a motorcycle accident beginning of this year so parking off-site isn't all that appealing either. I have been tempted to see if there is any way I could get around this rule, but I have a feeling that since it is private property that there is nothing I can do about it without risking my job.
    Check your state laws on that one. I know that in Kentucky, employers are prohibited from preventing an employee leaving their weapon in their car, although they can keep you from carrying.

    KG

  5. #45
    jb1023's Avatar
    jb1023 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Posts
    71
    Even though I don't have my permit yet I voted yes because I have applied for the permit and plan to carry once I have it. Not sure what my church's position is but they don't post that there is no carry allowed so I guess I will be OK.

  6. #46
    RotorHead's Avatar
    RotorHead is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Goodlettsville, TN
    Posts
    21
    Yes I do. Matter of fact I just got in from the Wednesday night service. I and several of the guys (and a few of the ladies) that go there carry at church, and any place its legal. I can think of no scripture that would forbid it.

  7. #47
    kg333's Avatar
    kg333 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by zhurdan View Post
    So is that called a "TACTICAL HUG"?? and at what point do you throw the flash bang?

    Zhur
    Behold! A detailed article on carrying in church, and step by step instructions on the proper way to hug:
    http://www.corneredcat.com/Social/church.aspx


    No instructions for the flash, though...

    KG

  8. #48
    twodogs's Avatar
    twodogs is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SW PA
    Posts
    148
    The media blows everything out of proportion, including crime, whether it's church-related or not.[/QUOTE]


    so true!

    I don't have my permit yet, but I doubt I will carry to church.

  9. #49
    jpshark's Avatar
    jpshark is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Nevada Desert
    Posts
    6

    Yes

    I voted yes although if memory serves I believe this is prohibited in some states ...


  10. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Bessemer City NC
    Posts
    155
    The first few months after obtaining our CCW's we did not carry into the church, but would leave our handguns in the car for after church shopping,lunch,etc. After the California incident my wife asked me how bad would I feel if something like that happened here, and my handgun was in the car. We live in a very small town, and go to an even smaller church, so the odds of that are extreme to say the least. However her point is valid so I now carry.

    Interesting side note- after moving here we visited several of the local churches looking for our new church home. We pretty much fell in love with one and had decided to make it our new church. However after doing a little research I discovered that the national body of that church actively (financially) supports the anti firearm movement. Even though the local church did not agree with that position they do send money up to the national body, so we chose not to join that church.

    This was a pretty popular " mainstream" denomination, so you might want to investigate where your churches money goes.

  11. #51
    SargeTN is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tennessee (dislocated Okie)
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by tropicmaster View Post
    The first few months after obtaining our CCW's we did not carry into the church, but would leave our handguns in the car for after church shopping,lunch,etc. After the California incident my wife asked me how bad would I feel if something like that happened here, and my handgun was in the car. We live in a very small town, and go to an even smaller church, so the odds of that are extreme to say the least. However her point is valid so I now carry.

    Interesting side note- after moving here we visited several of the local churches looking for our new church home. We pretty much fell in love with one and had decided to make it our new church. However after doing a little research I discovered that the national body of that church actively (financially) supports the anti firearm movement. Even though the local church did not agree with that position they do send money up to the national body, so we chose not to join that church.

    This was a pretty popular " mainstream" denomination, so you might want to investigate where your churches money goes.
    Guess I am gonna have to look in a little closer. I'm glad you brought that up. Like I said in another thread if I'm in uniform, I carry all the time unless actually on post. In my reserve unit though that rarely happens cause we're so far away from the nearest military installation. In civilian clothes I would if I had my CCW (which hopefully will be happening soon)

  12. #52
    scpankow's Avatar
    scpankow is offline Junior Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    39
    I live in Texas and it is against the law here to carry in church, which I think is ridiculous! I carry everywhere I am allowed and I feel that church, along with my place of work, are the two most important places that I should be carrying. I mean, this is Texas! Nobody at the church would care! They would probably be ok with Open Carry!

  13. #53
    Bisley's Avatar
    Bisley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,433
    Quote Originally Posted by scpankow View Post
    I live in Texas and it is against the law here to carry in church, which I think is ridiculous! I carry everywhere I am allowed and I feel that church, along with my place of work, are the two most important places that I should be carrying. I mean, this is Texas! Nobody at the church would care! They would probably be ok with Open Carry!
    Read the entire law. It is one of those hazy, figure it out for yourself type laws that can be found all through the Texas laws. If you continue reading the entire section, you will discover that you are only forbidden to carry in church, if the person in authority has told you not to, or if the 30.06 sign is posted..

    Ridiculous, and ambiguous, true, but most folks don't let it prevent them from carrying. You be the judge.

  14. #54
    ScottChapin's Avatar
    ScottChapin is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Powder Springs, GA
    Posts
    126
    It's illegal in Georgia, though they keep trying to change that.

  15. #55
    cougartex's Avatar
    cougartex is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Jefferson County, TX
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisley View Post
    Read the entire law. It is one of those hazy, figure it out for yourself type laws that can be found all through the Texas laws. If you continue reading the entire section, you will discover that you are only forbidden to carry in church, if the person in authority has told you not to, or if the 30.06 sign is posted..

    Ridiculous, and ambiguous, true, but most folks don't let it prevent them from carrying. You be the judge.
    Texas Law

    PC 46.035.

    UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.

    (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.

    (b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:

    (1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;

    (2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;

    (3) on the premises of a correctional facility;

    (4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;

    (5) in an amusement park; or

    (6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

    Read on down to (i) where it states they have to be posted 30.06.


    (i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.



  16. #56
    sig225's Avatar
    sig225 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    73
    No ... and if I have it with me, it stays in the car ...

  17. #57
    Hollander is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    a little south of Atlanta
    Posts
    97
    I would like to but as mentioned above, it is not legal in Georgia. I am not sure if the leadership would allow it anyway but it makes me feel naked, especially with my back to the entrance of the sanctuary.

  18. #58
    ghettogunfighter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    8
    Interesting topic, I never did in all my years as a LEO. However, in Richmond CA, maybe a year ago a several people were gunned down in a church while attending a funeral. Grant it, the funeral was not for a law abiding citizen, but none the less it was in a church. So to answer the question, I do now.

  19. #59
    sixguncowboy's Avatar
    sixguncowboy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    52
    For several years it was illegal to carry in church in Texas. But due to church shootings the law was changed. It is now legal to carry in church unless it is properly posted. At our church we have an average attendance of about 300 people and there are at least 6 or 7 people in attendance every Sunday that are armed that I know of. There are probably a few more that are & a few more that have a gun in their car. I am armed anytime I am away from my home.

  20. #60
    danite is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    32

    mom says

    my mother used to say"god helps those that help themselves",it's not scripture,but a proactive approach seems practical.i can't fault my mother's less than fatalistic view of life.she carried,and so do i.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can a church member with a title carry a gun

,
can you carry a fire arm in a church in wyoming
,

can you carry a gun in a church in texas

,
can you carry your gun in a church
,
carry of firearm in church texas
,
church safety, written approval to carry cwp in church
,
concealed carry in churches in nc
,

is it illegal to carry.a firearm in church?

,
is it legal to a carry a gun in a california catholic church
,

is it legal to carry a concealed handgun to church in texas

,
is it legal to carry a gun in church in nys
,
why do you carry a gun in church
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1