View Poll Results: How long did it take your city/state to issue your CCW permit

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 week or less

    17 11.72%
  • 2 weeks

    16 11.03%
  • 3 weeks

    17 11.72%
  • 4 weeks

    20 13.79%
  • 5 weeks

    13 8.97%
  • 6 weeks

    12 8.28%
  • 7 weeks

    5 3.45%
  • 8 weeks or longer

    45 31.03%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 65 of 65
  1. #51
    funkypunk97's Avatar
    funkypunk97 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by niadhf View Post
    I am amazed at new yorks process. I was licensed when i lived in mass 10 + years ago. I applied, Talked to Shermy (our Chief of Police), and got the permit 5 days later, then went and bought what i wanted and could afford.

    New York Now:
    4 (in county) references, Application, reason, class
    Ok i'm good so far.

    10 weeks after i turned it in, still no FBI response.
    12 weeks after i turned in application. Approve Unrestricted.
    13 weeks, County Clerk Finally answers my questions (they couldn't get in touch with me, my mailing addres and living address are 2 different towns (and counties) and there is only room for residence on the application).
    So then I find out i have to purchase a gun to get my gun purchase "slip" to give to the dealer to get hte gun i purchased?????
    and THEN i can pick up the Pistol Permit.

    BUt I did. (ok anyone know THAt quote? if so you are just as demented as me)
    It seems to vary a bit from county to county...... I did not know this until I read what you guys have said here....

    So far my process has been similar but not exactly the same.....YET!!

    I got my 4 references, got my prints done, saw a notary, paid my dues, got pictures taken and handed in all my papers.....

    The clerk told me that the next step was my interview with a deputy or sheriff (in 4-8 weeks), then the judge will make his ruling (before 6mos) so now all I can do is wait...... but since I've been talking about doing this for two years already the wait won't be too much of a big deal....

    I guess the purchasing part will probably the same as you guys....

  2. Ads
  3. #52
    kev74's Avatar
    kev74 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    985
    Quote Originally Posted by funkypunk97 View Post
    What is restricted carry in NY?

    I was told it was pretty much dependent on the county you live it as far as how tough it is. It all comes down to the judge granting the permit or not.

    I know you cannot carry inside any of the NYC boroughs, but outside of that I had not heard of any restrictions.
    In New York, the judge who signs off on your license has the ability to add restrictions, or conditions, to your license. These are purposes that the judge says you can lawfuly use your handgun for, but it is a bit ambigous because NY issues only one type of consealed carry license. For example, my license says "Hunting, Target" on the front with no explaination, but on the back says "This license is issued with the following conditions: 1. It is revocable at any time. 2. If issued outside NYC, not valid to carry a weapon in NYC unless approved by the police comissioner of that city."

    I know of one judge who will only issue licenses with restrictions, but will let you apply to have the restrictions removed after a period of time...almost like an extended waiting period. In any case, I usually don't carry unless I'm on my way to or from the range, but if I felt the need to carry, the gun is coming with me - and with the right lawyer, the law will be on my side.

  4. #53
    kev74's Avatar
    kev74 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    985
    funkypunk97,

    What county are you in?

  5. #54
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kev74 View Post
    In any case, I usually don't carry unless I'm on my way to or from the range, but if I felt the need to carry, the gun is coming with me - and with the right lawyer, the law will be on my side.
    Glad you said "felt" and not "feel", therefore I can assume you're only talking hypothetically and not actually admitting to carrying in direct violation of your permit restrictions; which we all know would be illegal. And, say it with me, we don't discuss illegal activity on the forum.


    Threads about illegal activity.

  6. #55
    hfl73 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    28
    I have had my CCW for 4 years. It took 6 months to the day to get my permit. I live in upstate New York (Monroe County) and the only restriction I have is no carry in NYC.

  7. #56
    kev74's Avatar
    kev74 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    985
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Glad you said "felt" and not "feel", therefore I can assume you're only talking hypothetically and not actually admitting to carrying in direct violation of your permit restrictions; which we all know would be illegal. And, say it with me, we don't discuss illegal activity on the forum.
    Todd, I am in no way suggesting anything unlawful. Just trying to point out the ambiguity of the nonsense we've got to put up with here in the Great State of New York. The laws regarding handgun licenses make no provision for judges to add restrictions to the license. Its something judges have started doing on their own and has not been addressed by the state legislature - legislating from the bench at its finest!

    In my case, my license has contradictory information on the front and back. In the strictest and most restrictive interpretation, I am allowed to carry a handgun while engaged in as well as traveling to and from activities involving hunting and target shooting as long as I steer clear of NYC.

    So, (these are all hypothetically) if I were to carry a handgun on the way to a shooting range, I would be acting legally. If I were to stop at Walmart on the way to the range to get ammo, and stop for lunch on the way home, I'd be legal. But if anything happened along the way that required me to defend myself using a handgun, the question of weather or not I acted legally would likely be answered by how good of a lawyer I could afford.

  8. #57
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kev74 View Post
    Todd, I am in no way suggesting anything unlawful. Just trying to point out the ambiguity of the nonsense we've got to put up with here in the Great State of New York. The laws regarding handgun licenses make no provision for judges to add restrictions to the license. Its something judges have started doing on their own and has not been addressed by the state legislature - legislating from the bench at its finest!

    In my case, my license has contradictory information on the front and back. In the strictest and most restrictive interpretation, I am allowed to carry a handgun while engaged in as well as traveling to and from activities involving hunting and target shooting as long as I steer clear of NYC.

    So, (these are all hypothetically) if I were to carry a handgun on the way to a shooting range, I would be acting legally. If I were to stop at Walmart on the way to the range to get ammo, and stop for lunch on the way home, I'd be legal. But if anything happened along the way that required me to defend myself using a handgun, the question of weather or not I acted legally would likely be answered by how good of a lawyer I could afford.
    Thanks for clarifying.

  9. #58
    blue d is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    58
    Due to the back up at the Sherriffs office Guilford County North carolina takes at least 5 weeks to get in to apply. Then it nominally takes 60 to nearly the full 90 days allowed by law.

  10. #59
    funkypunk97's Avatar
    funkypunk97 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by kev74 View Post
    funkypunk97,

    What county are you in?
    Cortland.......

    I see what you are saying about the restrictions.....

    I'm like you, I really only want to carry to the range or competitions. I doubt I'll be carrying it any other time so a sport/hunting type restriction would not really bother me.....

  11. #60
    nelskc is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    141
    5 days in AZ for me

  12. #61
    rook83 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8
    FL - sent in my packet yesterday, 7/9. I'll let y'all know how long it takes.

  13. #62
    sambeaux is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16

    Louisiana

    30 days from the date I submitted my paperwork til the date stamped on my permit; took another 5 days to receive in the mail.

  14. #63
    tekhead1219's Avatar
    tekhead1219 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    1,750
    In Tx, it took me 2 1/2 mths from mailing the forms in to receiving the CCL in the mail.

  15. #64
    mtlmgc's Avatar
    mtlmgc is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Idaho
    Posts
    82
    It took 3 1/2-4 weeks to get mine from the application date. I only live about 8 miles from the county court house so I was able to hand deliver the application and pick it up when it was ready. I was surprised when they called because they said it could take 6-8 weeks.

  16. #65
    RotorHead's Avatar
    RotorHead is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Goodlettsville, TN
    Posts
    21
    In Tenn the law allow's 90 days, and that is what it is taking these days. 3 down, 87 to go.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

hold long to proces ccw with stste

,

how long doe's ittake to receive your ccl in ky

,
how long does ccw permit takes to process
,

how long does it take to get your ccw in ohio

,
how long does it take to get your ccw licence from doj in ca
,
how long does it take to get your ccw permit from union co. oh. sheriffs office
,
how long does it take to get your ccw permit in nc
,
how long does it take to process a ccw permit in colorado
,
how long does it take to receive the utah/florida ccw permit after you apply?
,
how long is it tking in florida to get ccw
,

how longdose it take to get a ccw in ny

,
in livingston county ny how long does it take for the judge to sign off on a pistol permit
Click on a term to search for related topics.