Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1
    ScienceWizard is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    11

    Bersa 380 last round jamming.

    After allot of research and finally deciding to add a Bersa 380 to my current collection, I am stumped. I am looking for some experienced guidance as to how to eliminate a jam. The weapon was purchased used and in great shape. It came with one factory magazine. I have put about 250 rounds through it and love the feel and accuracy. Have been using WWB ammo. It seems that each time I reload and fire the magazine the 7th or last shell causes a jam. Has anyone else experienced this last shell jamming issue in the past? Could it be the Magazine spring being compressed from previous owners, and loosing its "umph" to raise the last shell to proper height? If you think its the Magazine can I fix it myself? Thanks for any ideas you can present.

  2. #2
    Geezer Squid is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6
    Lots of good info here: Thunder .380 and Thunder .380 CC Models

  3. #3
    ScienceWizard is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    11
    Geezer Squid,

    Thank you! for the reply, I'l check it out today. Did learn how to take the Magazine apart by looking at the schematic and video on U-Tube. Sure had "STUFF" in there. May have to go to the range to see if it made any type of difference with the last Last Round FTL.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sarasota Fla / Huntersville N.C.
    Posts
    456
    Sounds like a magazine problem.
    Weak spring

    AFS

  5. #5
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,252
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Sounds like a magazine problem.
    Weak spring

    AFS
    ...Or, more likely, just very dirty inside.

    A dirty interior would impede the spring, making it seem weak.

  6. #6
    ScienceWizard is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    11
    Well Gentlemen and ladies, The few responses were taken in stride and action has begun. I swabed and lightly lubed the Magazine. Went to the range and the same issue surfaced. 7th shell jammed, each time I reloaded. I came home and called Eagle Imports in NJ., asking them if they have heard of this occuring. The lady I talked to said if I think it is a defective Magazine, send it in and they would be happy to replace it. I told her that I thought it was just the spring, and I would like to purchase a new one. They sent out a new spring to try for free!! Great service from the importer. The woman on the phone also have me information if I needed to send the Pistol back to the factory for them to look at. I compared the existing spring with ne new one I just received. There is a 1/4" difference, (new spring longer) in the old and the new spring. I have replaced the spring and will let you know what the outcome is at the range this coming week when I get there. Thanks for the sugestions and help AirForceShooter & SteveM1911A1

  7. #7
    recoilguy's Avatar
    recoilguy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,311
    Good luck with the new spring and with your little Bersa.

    RCG

  8. #8
    SMann is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    432
    Magazines are not supposed to be lubricated. Hope you get it straightened out.

  9. #9
    ScienceWizard is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    11
    Finaly made it to the Range after returning from a family vacation. New spring was installed in magazine, and I shot 70 rounds without a single jam or stovepipe. I have to publicly thank the staff at Eagle Imports and Bersa for sending the new spring. I am calling my contact and thanking her for the exceptional service and letting her know that the Pistol works perfectly in my opinion. Great little gun and very accurate. Looking at a Bersa Thunder 380 Plus for my wife, or maybe me(??) !

  10. #10
    ronmail65 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    261
    Just got a new Bersa 380 and took it to the range today. I put 100 rounds through it and had the same problem. About every other magazine, the last round would jam when feeding. The dude at the range said, I should give it 200 rounds to see if it works itself out. What do you think?

    I also ordered a second mag from Bersa. When I get that, I'll be able to compare the mag to see if there's any difference between the 2.

    I also noticed another company named "Pro Mag" selling 2 packs of these on Gunbroker in the $35 to $45 range. Any experience with these?

  11. #11
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,252
    It's either the magazine, or...

    You could be "limp wristing" the gun.
    If you don't hold it very, very tightly and consistently, including during follow-through, the slide won't come all the way back to grab the hold-open catch.

    The diagnostic is to mark each magazine with a number or letter, and carefully watch to see if the problem occurs with the same magazine(s) all of the time, or with all of the magazines some of the time.
    If it always happens with one or two magazines, and only with those, then it's the magazines. If it sometimes happens with every magazine, it's more likely your technique.

  12. #12
    berettatoter's Avatar
    berettatoter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,283
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmail65 View Post
    Just got a new Bersa 380 and took it to the range today. I put 100 rounds through it and had the same problem. About every other magazine, the last round would jam when feeding. The dude at the range said, I should give it 200 rounds to see if it works itself out. What do you think?

    I also ordered a second mag from Bersa. When I get that, I'll be able to compare the mag to see if there's any difference between the 2.

    I also noticed another company named "Pro Mag" selling 2 packs of these on Gunbroker in the $35 to $45 range. Any experience with these?
    The infamous "last round jam" could be the fault of the spring in the magazine. I would just get different ones to see if the same problem continues.

  13. #13
    ronmail65 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    It's either the magazine, or...

    You could be "limp wristing" the gun.
    If you don't hold it very, very tightly and consistently, including during follow-through, the slide won't come all the way back to grab the hold-open catch.

    The diagnostic is to mark each magazine with a number or letter, and carefully watch to see if the problem occurs with the same magazine(s) all of the time, or with all of the magazines some of the time.
    If it always happens with one or two magazines, and only with those, then it's the magazines. If it sometimes happens with every magazine, it's more likely your technique.
    Could be "limp wristing". It's the smallest gun I've had so I was still trying to find my grip on it. But, the fact that this seemed to only happen on the last round makes me think it might be mag spring.

    Thanks also for the suggestion on labeling mags for diagnostic purposes.

    Do you have any experience with the "Pro Mag" Bersa mags?

  14. #14
    ronmail65 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by berettatoter View Post
    The infamous "last round jam" could be the fault of the spring in the magazine. I would just get different ones to see if the same problem continues.
    Yeah... that's what I'm thinking.

  15. #15
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,252
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmail65 View Post
    ...Do you have any experience with the "Pro Mag" Bersa mags?
    Nope. Sorry.

  16. #16
    TedDeBearFrmHell's Avatar
    TedDeBearFrmHell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,859
    while i have no experience with them i do remember reading how they are very picky about the type of gun they work well in.... for instance they may have a greap rep with cz but not so great with hk....

    very hit or miss

    From their website.... "If there's one characteristic of ProMag magazines and accessories we vow never to change"
    and
    "Dependability isnt taken for granted"

    guess it depends on how you read it.....

  17. #17
    ronmail65 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by TedDeBearFrmHell View Post
    while i have no experience with them i do remember reading how they are very picky about the type of gun they work well in.... for instance they may have a greap rep with cz but not so great with hk....

    very hit or miss

    From their website.... "If there's one characteristic of ProMag magazines and accessories we vow never to change"
    and
    "Dependability isnt taken for granted"

    guess it depends on how you read it.....
    Thanks for the input.

    I've been reading / hearing that extra Bersa mags are hard to come by and that they are expensive. Therefore, I would expect more folks to be trying the ProMags which are seemingly more plentiful and less expensive. But, surprisingly, nobody seems to have any experience with them.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sarasota Fla / Huntersville N.C.
    Posts
    456
    I have 3 Pro-Mags.
    One wore out in about a year. Stopped holding the slide back after the last round.
    1 is flawless
    1 really hasn't been used enough to tell.

    AFS

  19. #19
    recoilguy's Avatar
    recoilguy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,311
    I have heard through friends with Bersas that no aftermarket mag has proven to work well in Bersas. Most Bersa owners. ( all 12 of them) ((its a joke ))......say only Bersa mags in Bersas no matter how inexpensive the aftermarket ones are.

    I would direct you to the Bersa chat page but they are as unfriendly a bunch as there is on the web especially to new comers and anyone who likes Glocks Rugers Taurus Kimbers or any gun not made in Argentina. Well except for the high quality Florida gun that starts with a K.

    Bersas don't like Pro-Mags from what my buddies with Bersas tell me.

    RCG

  20. #20
    ScienceWizard is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    11
    I have read a lot of reviews on after market magazines. Up to about a year ago, Pro-Mag did not get ratings that were very good. I attemped to try one for fit at a local gun show, and the fit and finish just did not seem correct. Alot of grind going in and hard to release coming out. Just a bit to large in some spot. Walked away and bought a Magazine direct from Eagle Imports in New Jersey (Bersa). Very pleased with the factory Mag., and great group to deal with so far. I have also changed my grip when firing the weapon as others have stated. I am not getting my 7th round jam/stovepipe any longer. I can not say if it is the new Mag Spring, or the Grip.

    Good luck with you issue, try grip change first, less expensive. I am so pleased with the Thunder 380 I just purchased a second wepon for my Son's Birthday. Great Firearm for the money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

bersa 380 ayoob
,
bersa 380 magazine
,
bersa thunder 380 cc jam on last shell
,

bersa thunder 380 jamming

,
bersa thunder 380 last round jams
,
bersa thunder 380 massad ayoob
,
bersa thunder 380 pro mag
,
bersa thunder 380 promag review
,
last round in magazine jamming
,
pistol jam last round in magazine
,
sronger magazine spring for a bersa 380 thunder
,
youtube bersa thunder 380 plus jams on last round
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1