Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Bersa vs Keltec

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    222

    Bersa vs Keltec

    I know the the p3at by keltec is a lot lighter, but whats the big difference other than that? Are the Bersa guns reliable? Thinkin on gettin one. HG

  2. #2
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmigremmie View Post
    I know the the p3at by keltec is a lot lighter, but whats the big difference other than that? Are the Bersa guns reliable? Thinkin on gettin one. HG
    For what purpose? Pocket carry? IWB carry?

    Personally, if I was going to go with a .380 it would be for pocket carry. In that case, it makes much more sense to go smaller and lighter. The P3AT (or Ruger LCP) is lighter and smaller than the Bersa. So, why go with the bersa? If you're going to go IWB, than the Bersa isn't much easier to conceal than your Taurus either I wouldn't think. What would it's purpose be?

    I will own a P3AT or Ruger LCP in the near future. I don't see any Bersas in my future. There are plenty of people that have no issues with the Bersas at all, but if I was going for a gun that would for the most part be a BUG or an ultra-concealable type gun (the only reasons to go with a .380 IMO), than it would be the smallest possible (Read - P3AT, LCP). Just my .02

    -Jeff-

  3. #3
    undrgrnd's Avatar
    undrgrnd is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South East, Tx
    Posts
    252
    pocket carry p3at or lcp. iwb either xd9sc or glock 26 I believe for ultra concealable. I've been hunting down the pocket carry/ultra concealed and these would be my choice IMO.

  4. #4
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    I agree with the other guys. The only real purpose of a .380 these days is as a pocket gun, and the KelTec clearly wins for pocket carry versus the Bersa. The Bersa is as big as a lot of 9mms and .40s. Why carry a .380 as a belt gun when you can carry a more powerful gun?
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  5. #5
    BigMatt's Avatar
    BigMatt is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    White Hall Ar.
    Posts
    137
    Is the P3at the same as the Ruger LCP??

  6. #6
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMatt View Post
    Is the P3at the same as the Ruger LCP??
    The LCP is basically a copy of the P3AT.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  7. #7
    niadhf's Avatar
    niadhf is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rural New York
    Posts
    1,195
    The bersa will probably be more comfortable, size wise, for a larg handed person, harder to pocket carry tho (as has been stated yes). Nicer (read less noticable recoil) to shoot, and my appeal more to someon concerned with that. You don't strike me as too concerned with felt recoil, but, if say your wife/gf/mom/sister might be looking for a smaller purse gun with less kick than a 9mm, a bersa (or walther, or feg) might be better suited. So again, for what purpose?

  8. #8
    jb1023's Avatar
    jb1023 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Posts
    71
    I am looking at either a Bersa UC9 or M&P 9c as an iwb carry.

  9. #9
    BigMatt's Avatar
    BigMatt is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    White Hall Ar.
    Posts
    137
    I wonder if the LCP or the p3at is more reliable?

  10. #10
    niadhf's Avatar
    niadhf is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rural New York
    Posts
    1,195
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMatt View Post
    I wonder if the LCP or the p3at is more reliable?
    I have no track record with the LCP, but all the P3ATs i have shot have been 100%. They have been around longer to work out any unforseen issues also.

  11. #11
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Early P3ATs got something of a bad rap, but KelTec fixed the problems and they seem to run fine now. Mine runs 100%, as do those that belong to two of my colleagues.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  12. #12
    BigMatt's Avatar
    BigMatt is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    White Hall Ar.
    Posts
    137
    I might go buy me a p3at this evening. What ammo do you guys use in 380 for a decent defense round?

  13. #13
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMatt View Post
    I might go buy me a p3at this evening. What ammo do you guys use in 380 for a decent defense round?
    Any premium JHP from a major manufacturer will be fine, as long as it works reliably. I use Gold Dot.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  14. #14
    bhmorrill is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5
    For those of you that have shot both, is the felt recoil that much of a difference between the two? And especially any women, which is more comfurtable to you to shoot?

  15. #15
    wildcatbrownhound's Avatar
    wildcatbrownhound is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    29
    The Bersa 380 Thunder is a double action, has a external hammer which you can cock, with a round in the chamber, or take the saftey off and fire. Each time fired the hammer is in the cocked position. The Kel-Tec is a single action, round in he chamber where the hammer has to travel the entire distance each time you fire which makes it less accurate IMO. Correct me if I am wrong. LOVE YALL

  16. #16
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatbrownhound View Post
    The Bersa 380 Thunder is a double action, has a external hammer which you can cock, with a round in the chamber, or take the saftey off and fire. Each time fired the hammer is in the cocked position. The Kel-Tec is a single action, round in he chamber where the hammer has to travel the entire distance each time you fire which makes it less accurate IMO. Correct me if I am wrong.
    The Kel Tec is DAO (Double Action Only). It cannot be cocked manually, therefore making it impossible to be a single action gun.

    Steve summed up the difference pretty well in a past thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post

    SA
    (Single Action) = the trigger feels the same, always. The trigger pull is short, and can be pretty light.
    DAO (Double-Action Only) = the trigger feels the same, always. The pull is usually long and relatively heavy. This is a useful option, for instance for a pocket-carry pistol.
    DA/SA ("Traditional" Double Action) = in a semi-auto, the trigger feels long and heavy for your first shot, and then switches to relatively short and light for all subsequent shots. Some people find that the transition from DA first shot to SA subsequent shots negatively affects speed and accuracy. But in a revolver, you have the choice of DA or SA for each shot, at your option, and pay no transition penalty.

  17. #17
    Dynamik1's Avatar
    Dynamik1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pittsboro, NC
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by undrgrnd View Post
    pocket carry p3at or lcp. iwb either xd9sc or glock 26 I believe for ultra concealable. I've been hunting down the pocket carry/ultra concealed and these would be my choice IMO.
    After getting my CCW recently I have been thinking along the same lines. Although, I limited my choices to Kel-Tec P3-AT vs. Kel-Tec PF-9. I opted for the PF-9, had some issues out of the box and have sent it back for repair. Having had it for a few days my observation is that even on a large frame guy (6'-2"/285#) the PF-9 is NOT a pocket gun. However, in a deep IWB holster it should be infinitely more concealable than my Beretta 92FS!

    Knowing that Kel-Tec will probably have my PF-9 for a month or more, and getting frustrated with carrying my Beretta, I may just go back and pick up a P3-AT as well. It just seems like the logical thing to do

  18. #18
    wildcatbrownhound's Avatar
    wildcatbrownhound is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    The Kel Tec is DAO (Double Action Only). It cannot be cocked manually, therefore making it impossible to be a single action gun.

    Steve summed up the difference pretty well in a past thread:
    Well,I got some of it backwards. Sorry! I think you knew what I was trying to say. I meant the harder it is to pull the trigger the less accurate. I have the Colt Cobra in my avatar and when you cock it, it is the most accurate gun i have as opposed to just pulling the trigger. (I hit a basketball 5 of the 6 at 50yards.) in the cocked position. Pretty good shooting for a old man HUH. Good info. THANKS.

  19. #19
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatbrownhound View Post
    Well,I got some of it backwards. Sorry! I think you knew what I was trying to say. I meant the harder it is to pull the trigger the less accurate. I have the Colt Cobra in my avatar and when you cock it, it is the most accurate gun i have as opposed to just pulling the trigger. (I hit a basketball 5 of the 6 at 50yards.) in the cocked position. Pretty good shooting for a old man HUH. Good info. THANKS.
    Accuracy has more to do with the user than with the trigger action. Practice, practice, practice...

    -Jeff-

  20. #20
    nighthawk74 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamik1 View Post
    After getting my CCW recently I have been thinking along the same lines. Although, I limited my choices to Kel-Tec P3-AT vs. Kel-Tec PF-9. I opted for the PF-9, had some issues out of the box and have sent it back for repair. Having had it for a few days my observation is that even on a large frame guy (6'-2"/285#) the PF-9 is NOT a pocket gun. However, in a deep IWB holster it should be infinitely more concealable than my Beretta 92FS!

    Knowing that Kel-Tec will probably have my PF-9 for a month or more, and getting frustrated with carrying my Beretta, I may just go back and pick up a P3-AT as well. It just seems like the logical thing to do
    What was wrong with your PF-9? I was thinking of getting one, actually. Either that or the PF-11. How does it handle with other 9 mm you have shot?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

bersa 380 vs kel-tec
,
bersa or kel tec
,

bersa vs kel tec

,
bersa vs kel tech
,
bersa vs kel-tec
,
bersa vs keltec
,
bersa vs keltec vs lcp
,
kel tec or bersa
,
kel tec pf9 vs bersa thunder
,

kel tec vs bersa

,
kel-tec vs bersa
,
keltec vs bersa
Click on a term to search for related topics.